PDA

View Full Version : Should I change my style?

Nadalfan89
07-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Whenever I play a match, I can't help but hit slow loopy forehands and go into retriever mode. I'de like to play a more "respectable" tennis game but whenever I try to hit flatter and harder, I make a ridiculous amount of unforced errors.

Should I be trying to play a more aggressive style of tennis or should I try and perfect what I'm doing now? I just don't know if my style (pushing I guess) would do well in higher levels of play.

Nonentity
07-17-2009, 10:44 AM
You need to work on getting into the match. Always start slow, your your regular loopy shots. Once you are consistent with those, apply slightly more and more pace. Don't just hit as hard as you can right away. As you get slower pace shots in, it will give you confidence to hit your power shots with greater accuracy, but you will need to build up to that point.

Nonentity
07-17-2009, 10:44 AM
"your your" should be "use your"

LuckyR
07-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Whenever I play a match, I can't help but hit slow loopy forehands and go into retriever mode. I'de like to play a more "respectable" tennis game but whenever I try to hit flatter and harder, I make a ridiculous amount of unforced errors.

Should I be trying to play a more aggressive style of tennis or should I try and perfect what I'm doing now? I just don't know if my style (pushing I guess) would do well in higher levels of play.

Not enough info to get a very good view of your game, but here's some prelim thoughts.

If your strokes are sound, but you choose to hit slow, loopy balls and you have had some success with your retriever game I would NOT change to an aggressive style. I would instead work on transitioning to a counter puncher style. That is: work on your touch, learn a wicked passing shot you can put on a dime and keep your fitness high.

boojay
07-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Kinda sounds to me like you're asking if you should continue to push or actually learn to play tennis. I guess you should ask yourself if you want to continue playing like Nadal or not.

10nistennis
07-17-2009, 02:27 PM

It would be suggested that you at least develop some form of aggressive play, to make your game more rounded. When you're playing with only slow, loopy forehands at your disposal, you're not hitting any winners. You're waiting for your opponent to commit an error.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad thing, but it is better if you develop some type of aggressive shot, where you can change the pace of game, and hit a winner when the time comes for one.

My suggestion: practice more on driving through the ball, hitting it a bit flatter, and deeper. Practice it until you get it consistent, then you'll a well-rounded baselining game.