PDA

View Full Version : headheavy helps my 2hbh, hurts my forehand D:

hyogen
07-17-2009, 10:50 AM
i normally play with a very headlight balance.. probably around 10points at least. i love being able to swing fast for serves and rip forehands. however, i've found that by making the racquet less headlight...by several points helps out my 2hbh...

makes it more solid.. and be able to go down the line or crosscourt better.... however, with this less headlight balance...my forehands suffer some... i swing really fast esp. on forehand side, so some shots go way out.

any insight that you guys can give me?

i used to love extended length racquets like .25" or .5"...especially for my 2hbh...but found that i didn't like getting jammed when the ball was a little close to me.

a good balance for me is the ntour two (or ktour)...

dman72
07-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Split the difference in swingweight and adapt your strokes on both sides to that swingweight.

Something more unorthodox: you could choke up on your forehand a bit, which effectively reduces swingweight, but you lose a bit of reach.

LeeD
07-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Of course, everything is a compromise.
For most, you gotta take the middle road, not hurting your weaknesses and maybe not helping your strengths too much.
Just like in life, you gotta find a BALANCE in everything you do.

Sublime
07-17-2009, 11:40 AM
hyogen,

Was this a different racket that you tried or did you change the balance via lead tape?

What else changed? Swingweight?

hyogen
07-17-2009, 12:40 PM
hyogen,

Was this a different racket that you tried or did you change the balance via lead tape?

What else changed? Swingweight?

just lead tape. it was on the same racquet. to change the balance i use very little lead tape (it's all i need). I'm not really changing swingweight much b/c i don't put the lead at the bottom of the grip.

I'm moving about 6 inches of the thinnest lead tape (1/8") from between about 2" to 5" or so up from the bottom of the grip.

I have compromised for the past year by keeping a pretty head light balance... around 8-10points head light probably. b/c it helps with my forehand and serves the most.

Sublime
07-17-2009, 12:49 PM
So you're telling me to took about 1.5 grams and moved it 3" up and down the handle? That won't swing the balance a single point.

hyogen
07-17-2009, 12:54 PM
maybe it's more. it is enough to wrap around the grip like 4 times.

i guarantee it feels VERY different. even moving the lead a centimeter.

It makes a huge difference for me.

one balance point is only 1/13" of an inch? something tiny like that...

hyogen
07-17-2009, 01:03 PM
check out my main youtube vid (in my sig). that is a stock TT radical MP with leather grip (which makes it more headlight than it is). All I'm saying is, if I put about 6" of lead or so somewhere on my handle, i wouldn't be hitting as confidently or as well as i am in the vid.

by making it a little less headlight, I could probably smack the backhand harder/better, but i wouldn't be able to swing out on my forehands like that....

maybe i would get used to it........... so maybe the solution is to have the balance for optimal backhand hitting...and then get used to hitting forehands with that balance. I say this b/c my backhand seems to always be my liability

Sublime
07-17-2009, 01:18 PM
one balance point is only 1/13" of an inch? something tiny like that...

1/8" is a point.

If you had a 9oz racket and put 3 grams (that's 12" of 1/4" lead tape) 3" from the butt cap, you could shift the balance of an 8pts HL frame to 9pts.

This should not drastically change your game. Plus it will only change the power of your racket by fractions of a percent (the leaded frame will be more powerful)

hyogen
07-17-2009, 01:27 PM
1/8" is a point.

If you had a 9oz racket and put 3 grams (that's 12" of 1/4" lead tape) 3" from the butt cap, you could shift the balance of an 8pts HL frame to 9pts.

This should not drastically change your game. Plus it will only change the power of your racket by fractions of a percent (the leaded frame will be more powerful)

hrmm.. well don't know what to tell ya.. i really don't think i'ts a placebo effect for me..

jb193
07-17-2009, 01:37 PM
I have posted on this in the past. I still don't understand it though, but hitting a 2hbh with insufficient SW really hurts that stroke with me also. It simply needs mass and always has with me.

With your FH, I had the same problem also. I could get awesome racquet speed with a more head light racquet, but the more I learned how to hit with a loose wrist, relaxing my forearm, and letting my trunk & my bigger muscles take control, I am able to generate plenty of head speed with a heavier racquet.

Good luck....

hyogen
07-17-2009, 01:41 PM
I have posted on this in the past. I still don't understand it though, but hitting a 2hbh with insufficient SW really hurts that stroke with me also. It simply needs mass and always has with me.

With your FH, I had the same problem also. I could get awesome racquet speed with a more head light racquet, but the more I learned how to hit with a loose wrist, relaxing my forearm, and letting my trunk & my bigger muscles take control, I am able to generate plenty of head speed with a heavier racquet.

Good luck....

hey, that helps. I think i'll try that - although I'm getting fast head speed and great spin/depth/and control on the forehand.... I'm pretty sure my wrist is somewhat stiff. I also use a double bend forehand also. I'll try to be more relaxed and keep a looser wrist. thanks

Sublime
07-17-2009, 01:42 PM
hrmm.. well don't know what to tell ya.. i really don't think i'ts a placebo effect for me..

I didn't say that, but I am heavily implying it. ;)

Is it possible the tape is affecting your grip?

hyogen
07-17-2009, 01:49 PM
I didn't say that, but I am heavily implying it. ;)

Is it possible the tape is affecting your grip?

no, because I always put the lead tape under the replacement grip or overgrip.

hyogen
07-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Ahhhh, so my backhands have been dramatically improving with this less headlight balance......

and my forehands have adjusted after one day. They're possibly better than they were before now!

I guess my ideal setup isn't a VERY headlight balance afterall

ronalditop
07-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Ahhhh, so my backhands have been dramatically improving with this less headlight balance......

and my forehands have adjusted after one day. They're possibly better than they were before now!

I guess my ideal setup isn't a VERY headlight balance afterall

I use a ohbh, and i used to use a very HL balance like you. After trying some other racquets that had a even or HH balance, i realized its much more easy to hit forehands with a less HL balance. Now i use slighly HL balance (i have to because my hbh doesnt allow me to play with an even or HH balance) and my forehand is better than ever. My backhand had always been my strong side, now my forehand is, but my backhand is still very good. I didnt know balance could make such a big difference.