PDA

View Full Version : KPS88 Light from TW

movdqa
07-17-2009, 12:40 PM
I have two KPS88 models. The first one I really liked - lots of power and spin potential, great on the serve. I ordered another one and it was about 0.2 oz heavier and felt like a different racquet (different balance too). I tried leading them both up to get the weight and balance the same but I didn't like how they played.

I contacted TW and they found me a KPS88 a little below spec which I should be able to mod so that it's similar to the first one that I got. That first one was a little over spec on static weight but quite a bit more headlight than spec.

I will keep the heavy one as a training stick.

I took all of the lead off last night and played with the light one today in a match and it felt much better - better spin production and easier to generate spin and pace on the serve.

I would like to settle on the KPS88 for the next ten years or so - changing racquets and looking for what you like is a pain in the neck. At any rate, you can ask TW to look at what they have in stock to see if you can find a weight that you would prefer. I imagine that they wouldn't want to do this in general because it is extra work for them but it might be a good option if you buy a racquet to try and then buy one or more of them later on.

some6uy008
07-17-2009, 06:05 PM
I believe if you two 2 or more at the same time, you can ask them for matching sticks. Not positive, someone correct me if I'm way off.

Keifers
07-17-2009, 06:11 PM
With the KPS 88, I know that if I had not selected examples in my grip size that were ~8 pts HL, I simply couldn't have played with it. The combination of high static weight and high swingweight would have made it impossible to swing.

That said, what a racquet! A truly envelope-pushing design, imo.

movdqa
07-17-2009, 07:10 PM
The matching service is really great. I just wish I had paid attention to it before buying the second one.

Industry tolerance is +/- 0.4 oz. My second was +0.3 oz and I couldn't hit the way I liked to as with the first. At any rate, if you're buying additional racquets and you want to be sure, consider the matching service. I should have done this with my K90s too.

movdqa
07-22-2009, 06:46 AM
I brought the latest KPS88 to the post office to get weighed and it comes in at 12.7 oz. The other two are 12.9 and 13.1. That is an amazing range of weights. If these kinds of variances are common in other Wilson racquets, then you could conceivably get a K90 that weighs more than a KPS88. I haven't hit with the 12.7 yet and will be hitting on Friday to see how it plays. I do like the 12.9 a lot and was planning on adding weight to the lighter one to get to 12.9 - the problem would be if I liked the 12.7 more than the 12.9. The other option would be to just leave them all the way that they are and have a range of racquets choosing the 12.9 normally with a switch to the 12.7 as the primary backup or to use when I'm feeling a little under the weather. The 13.1 would be for drills and improvement sessions.

hoodjem
07-22-2009, 06:50 AM
Wilson quality control?

Or lack thereof.

movdqa
07-22-2009, 06:53 AM
You could call it that or you could call it consumer choice. I rather like the idea of being able to fine-tune the weight of a racquet without having to add lead or a ton of lead. I just wish that I knew that you could make requests on weight/balance/swingweight sooner.

There are frequent posts on requests to make their frames heavier or lighter or to change the balance and just getting something that you want stock is very nice. I used to be big on customizations but I prefer frames stock these days.

Keifers
07-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Your second option seems eminently intelligent to me.

Good thinking, Watson!

Keifers
07-22-2009, 06:58 AM
P.S. Yeah, that's a pretty alarming variance in weight, isn't it?

(What was it AT&T used to "say"? "We don't care because we don't have to.")

Syfo-Dias
07-22-2009, 01:28 PM
P.S. Yeah, that's a pretty alarming variance in weight, isn't it?

(What was it AT&T used to "say"? "We don't care because we don't have to.")

That's pretty much Wilson's mantra too. As long as people continue to buy their stuff, they're not going to do jack to improve quality control.

movdqa
07-26-2009, 10:35 AM
I played a set of doubles with the 12.7 today after playing two sets with the 12.9. The 12.7 felt great for doubles. I think that I prefer the 12.9 for singles but the added maneuverability of the 12.7 on volleys and service returns is very nice. The racquet already has lots of juice so the loss in power isn't really a problem, especially for doubles.

I guess the 12.8 spec would be really nice for singles and doubles as a compromise. I guess that I will just use 12.7 for doubles, 12.9 for singles and 13.1 for training.