PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a signature shot?

flyinghippos101
07-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Do you have that one, badass shot that should make a highlight reel? If so, please elaborate

My own signature shot is the running forehand (crap put backhand for some reason) down the line. It feels ultra satisflying denying points in such fantastic fashion.

ubermeyer
07-17-2009, 12:48 PM
yeah, whenever somebody is at the net and hits a dropshot against me I run up to the net and hit a great passing shot. i can chase down any dropshot, fun to do.

Lotto
07-17-2009, 01:07 PM
I have two really:

1) Running Reverse Forehand, angled crosscourt passing shot 8)

2) Down the line one handed backhand drive 8)

counterfeit25
07-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Jumping forehand, copied from Nishikori ;)

Now, I just have to make it more consistent.

Tipsy
07-17-2009, 01:29 PM
For me it has to be the good old fashioned lob. I seem to have this sixth sense for knowing when someone is about to attack the net. It's then game over for them 95% of time. I'm just able to judge what I want to do with the lob, like how much top spin I need to apply, all that stuff. It's like I was born to lob. Although, I have to have a good string setup that gives me a lot of feel all the time, I've noticed I'm particularly sensitive to how much feel I'm getting through the strings and racket. A few weeks ago my coach was demonstrating on the ideal positioning when coming into the net and he was saying how you first come in around the edge of the service box, to put the opponent off from lobbing you and then on the next shot you move right into the net. Anyway he got to the edge of the service box and challenged me to lob him, as if to say you won't be able to. First time out I just whipped it right over his head into the far right corner of the court. It was sweet. Yeah lobs are my best friend. Good times.:)

ubermeyer
07-17-2009, 01:40 PM
For me it has to be the good old fashioned lob. I seem to have this sixth sense for knowing when someone is about to attack the net. It's then game over for them 95% of time. I'm just able to judge what I want to do with the lob, like how much top spin I need to apply, all that stuff. It's like I was born to lob. Although, I have to have a good string setup that gives me a lot of feel all the time, I've noticed I'm particularly sensitive to how much feel I'm getting through the strings and racket. A few weeks ago my coach was demonstrating on the ideal positioning when coming into the net and he was saying how you first come in around the edge of the service box, to put the opponent off from lobbing you and then on the next shot you move right into the net. Anyway he got to the edge of the service box and challenged me to lob him, as if to say you won't be able to. First time out I just whipped it right over his head into the far right corner of the court. It was sweet. Yeah lobs are my best friend. Good times.:)

you should develop a great drop shot. the dropshot/lob combo, with your lobs, would be killer

Tipsy
07-17-2009, 01:56 PM
you should develop a great drop shot. the dropshot/lob combo, with your lobs, would be killer

Yeah I am pretty slid with my drop shots as well. Only problem I find with them is one day I'll hit all my drop shots perfectly, I can literally do no wrong with them, everything is working perfectly and they are winning me points. Then I'll be playing somewhen else and it's a completely different story, it's like I've forgotten how to drop shot or something. Sometimes its really quite depressing. I assume this inconsistecy is down to loss of concentration, as one day I think I'm on top of the world with my drop shots, I then carry this mentality into my next game and then I don't concentrate enough when playing them, hence the mistakes.

That is probably the biggest weakness in my game, sometimes I lose concentration at the worst times and usually it's because I think too much about what I want to do with each shot I play. In a way I kind of sound like my favourite player, Janko Tipsarevic, we're both smart, but we both think too much about all the little aspects of every point. It just over-complicates things.

10nistennis
07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Probably my ability to do passing shots. Whether it's cross court angle passng shot, or down the line.

mikeler
07-17-2009, 02:02 PM
My lefty lob (I am a righty)

Vermillion
07-17-2009, 02:03 PM
probably my on the rise dtl after pulling opponent wide with a angled crosscourt fh and they hit a crosscourt back.

imalil2gangsta4u
07-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Backhand down the line

RoddickAce
07-17-2009, 03:07 PM
1.Short angle crosscourt forehand on the run
2.Inside-in forehand

Not really highlight reel material lolz, but those are my best shots.

certifiedjatt
07-17-2009, 03:24 PM
i'm a total sampras poser. total. it's embarrassing, actually.

my "signature" shots, i.e., those stolen from sampras and copied with utmost ******ation are:

1. running forehands (CC, or DTL)
2. flick backhand pass
3. serve pose/motion. it started off as something i used to do after playing two or three competitive sets, just to joke around. by now, i've done it sooooo much, that it's become a habit and i've now firmly grasped the sampras pose (just the pose) out of his hands.

Bungalo Bill
07-17-2009, 03:45 PM
i'm a total sampras poser. total. it's embarrassing, actually.

my "signature" shots, i.e., those stolen from sampras and copied with utmost ******ation are:

1. running forehands (CC, or DTL)
2. flick backhand pass
3. serve pose/motion. it started off as something i used to do after playing two or three competitive sets, just to joke around. by now, i've done it sooooo much, that it's become a habit and i've now firmly grasped the sampras pose (just the pose) out of his hands.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Utmost ******ATION? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Here you are Sampras Poser in pure ******ation:

http://www.caterersearch.com/blogs/catering-news-blog/monkey1.gif

certifiedjatt
07-17-2009, 03:48 PM

wow. i really got under your skin, didn't i? you can't seem to leave me alone, following me around like a puppy dog seeking attention....

Bungalo Bill
07-17-2009, 03:50 PM
wow. i really got under your skin, didn't i? you can't seem to leave me alone, following me around like a puppy dog seeking attention....

Oh please Miss, don't flatter yourself.

Actually, I came here to provide the OP my "signature" shot. However, when I read your post, I just couldn't resist Mr. Sampras Poser ******. lol

junbumkim
07-17-2009, 04:55 PM
My serve down the T on the AD side. It's sort of my go-to serve when i am down. It's a serve that I am willing to take a risk on even on 2nd serve.

My backhand slice has gotten really good, and it seems to work well against a few people. It's a defensive shot, but it can elicit some weak replies which I can attack with my forehand...

lhstennis12
07-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Drop shot from the baseline. I hit that, point's over.

vbranis
07-17-2009, 05:32 PM
The "behind the back" shot. I try it at least once in just about every match. It actually goes in most of the time. Blake hits one here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkvZv8a-NQ8

Also, since I'm a lefty, the short crosscourt angle FH.

Z-Man
07-17-2009, 05:52 PM
When I'm at the net and somebody lobs me, I run back and hit a topspin lob over my shoulder. Usually the ball is way past me when I hit it, and my back is to the net. Strangely, I can do this on the forehand and the backhand. People don't expect it, but it's actually the easiest situation to hit a topspin lob.

plasma
07-17-2009, 06:01 PM
jatt stole the same runnign forehand from sampras, I think effectively I stole Stephaneks version for some higher balls as well, I have freak timing. My *****hole eye tallialn bahxing coach used to throw things at me for hours, literally.
I "time" extremely hard and fast shots by doing my split step a tiny bit early. Peoplse jaws drop at this and positive comments are always thrown around...as I almost always return 60+ mph laser beams easily...
this is the one shot I hear people talk about my skill level when I hit it. And in dubs, I'll do it 4-10 times a set. It's soooooo cool.,..try it.
Guess I actually am the first one to admit to doing a slightly early split step, namely a micro second before the ball is hit, not right as the ball hits the oppoents strings.
THE PLASMA STEP
copyright 2009...
Works for serves too sometimes. I also copied something from Martina, occasionally not split stepping at all, but this is way more advanced for super hard shots coming right at you...

ryangoring
07-17-2009, 06:27 PM
ok you lob me and i am running back to get it, just time it right, and i can do an overhead smash backwards. meaning an overhead smash and hitting it over my back.

or a taking a lob way back to the baseline and kneeling down to smash it. it surprises the opponent and myseldf when it works.
lol

Larrysümmers
07-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Left handed running forehand. Oh btw I'm a righty. I saw maria sharapova do it so I wanted to do it(she's my celebrity crush)

naylor
07-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Return of service from the deuce side. Take it early, step in to run around the forehand, play an inside-in backhand deep down the line. Gets me lots of quick points on second serves. On first serves, it also helps on serves down the T or sliding into my body - step in and shorten the backswing to block it down the line.

dennis10is
07-17-2009, 07:15 PM
My shanks are pretty well known. Off the top of my frame, they go really high in the air, almost straight up; off the bottom, where I almost completely miss the ball, the ball would travel one foot and dies in front of me.

WBF
07-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Do you have that one, badass shot that should make a highlight reel? If so, please elaborate

Second serve kicker (used often as a first serve).

People get furious. The rest of my game is average, so when I go up against higher level players (I think the most talented was a then current top 75 D1 player), they get rather frustrated when they can't attack it, and particularly when they shank it.

I don't really know why it's so effective; I've never had any problem with a serve apart from those damn lefties.

I like my forehand cross court as well, but it's nothing special, and opponents could break it down depending on their level of play.

aimr75
07-17-2009, 08:10 PM
my signature shot looks something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll8m62GOVOU

itracbui3
07-17-2009, 08:11 PM
hella out wide serve LOL! then high jump smash ( like sampras)

marosmith
07-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Outside out Down the line forehand, or or outside in crosscurt forehand.

Every once in a while I can hit a killer forehand slice when I am out of position in a rally, drives deep, low, barely bounces- opponents HATE hitting this ball.

plasma
07-17-2009, 09:40 PM
an important shot, top pros can do it, I'd love to see an instructional on this scramble forehand, the one where you barely reach the ball...also known as the Marosmith technique

nfor304
07-17-2009, 09:46 PM
I love and frequently hit the short cross court backhand slice. So hard to attack and puts opponents out of position

35ft6
07-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Used to be my forehand. In the past 10 years, it's been my slice backhand. That's right! Slice backhand.

fattsoo
07-18-2009, 12:21 AM
my inside-out cross court forehand that paints the corner...

Knightmace
07-18-2009, 12:27 AM
My Running forehand cross court winner

tata
07-18-2009, 04:07 AM
My Running forehand cross court winner

ditto
10 char

Ballinbob
07-18-2009, 05:11 AM
I can hit pretty sharp angled volleys as long as I can get my feet set

I wish I had a good forehand on the run like alot of people here though, that's a satisfying shot to hit and mine sucks big time.

Jay_The_Nomad
07-18-2009, 07:42 AM
my forehand slice... quite a bit of bite to it. My backhand slice on the other hand sits up & not as good.

I feel like i've got lots of feel/control on the slice.. can even junkball with it quite a bit.

ubermeyer
07-18-2009, 08:27 AM
my half volley is also pretty amazing

SethIMcClaine
07-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Smashing the ball in the service box off the side of the court from the net (usually during doubles)

Kick_It
07-21-2009, 02:13 PM
A well placed 60 or 70 Mph 2nd serve to a location my opponent doesn't expect, often for an ace.

I often start out a match serving to a pattern of serve locations. Once an opponent starts to predict or cheat towards a particular placement, I'll choose a different placement at an opportune moment.

My favorite opponents are right handed players with a weak backhand who try to run around their backhands when I serve short and wide on the ad court. Then I just slice a 2nd serve down the T.

It demoralizes folks when they realize how slow the serve is moving. It is hysterical to see the look on their face when both of their feet are outside the singles sideline of the court on the ad side.

smack that
07-21-2009, 03:00 PM
i think mine are the federer style freeze stop inside out forehand

and the jackknife one hander inside out

the jackknife is just for fun at practice

JayTie
07-21-2009, 04:01 PM
My signature shot is a sliced forehand, either as a drop-shot or as a put-away winner. I S&V btw.

mzshot
07-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Top spin lob, which I can execute on both wings

vndesu
07-22-2009, 01:54 AM
my slam dunks and my power forehand :]

fps
07-22-2009, 03:28 AM
really, really acute angled crosscourt forehand. goes slow, spinny and miles off court (on camera it would probably look much less impressive haha)

Element54
07-22-2009, 03:33 AM
short angled forehand crosscourt

jefferson
07-22-2009, 03:35 AM
Left handed kick serve... and my fearhand oops I mean forehand. haha

Djokovicfan4life
07-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Oh please Miss, don't flatter yourself.

Actually, I came here to provide the OP my "signature" shot. However, when I read your post, I just couldn't resist Mr. Sampras Poser ******. lol

What is your signature shot, anyway? The Bungalo backhand, perhaps?

I'd be flattering myself if I said I had my own signature shot.

JStar7
07-22-2009, 08:12 AM
My signature shots:

Forehand to any service line corner from the baseline (nobody expects it)

Crosscourt backhand (Its like a jackknife and nobody expects it to be so sharp)

Mongolmike
07-22-2009, 09:59 AM
All the regulars I play against know to watch down the line (singles or doubles) when I am deep in the ad side. I'm a righty with a topspin forehand that goes straight as an arrow (unlike my backhand which I cannot hit dead straight at all), and I can topspin dip it hard over the net at someone's feet, or nail it deep in the corner. I tell you what, in doubles, people who like to poach don't do it very often on me... but I mostly do it just because I love the shot.

Sentinel
07-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Three double faults in a row. I usually am able to turn it on in critical moments like 4-5 down.

I've never lost, only choked on 4-5.

Spyre
07-23-2009, 12:08 PM
my occasional underhand serve. It always catches ppl off guard :P

skiracer55
07-23-2009, 12:22 PM
...just kidding! I've always had lots of variety, so I'm capable of hitting all kinds of cool stuff on any ball. I said "capable of", it doesn't necessarily work out that way...so I'd have to consider a "signature" shot something that I can pull out of the closet pretty much on demand. In which case...I'd have to say heavy backhand slice crosscourt as an approach shot...

Redvd8
07-23-2009, 12:31 PM
my backhand drop shot that goes cross court and bounces in place. :]

Tyrus
07-23-2009, 06:29 PM
My second serve has been receiving many compliments on the ridiculous amounts of spin i put on it. Others have called it unconventional. It's possibly the most reliable shot i got.

bad_call
07-23-2009, 06:35 PM
cuervo gold does it for me.

mmeyer1
07-23-2009, 06:44 PM
short angle crosscourt backhand flick :]

Xtreme
07-24-2009, 08:10 PM
drop volley

Drop Shot 11
07-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Jumping forehand, copied from Nishikori ;)

Now, I just have to make it more consistent.

Same. 10 (ten) characters.

Mansewerz
07-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Forehand shank deep to the corner.

I'm getting quite good at it too! Never misses :twisted:

HunterST
07-24-2009, 08:50 PM

Man, Bungalo Bill is a ******. The guy was clearly joking about his own style and you try to jump all over him. Unfortunately your attempt just made you look like an immature Moron with no sense of humor.

HunterST
07-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Man, Bungalo Bill is a ******. The guy was clearly joking about his own style and you try to jump all over him. Unfortunately your attempt just made you look like an immature Moron with no sense of humor.

I saw some other posts bungalo bill made and they were really helpful and insightful. I wonder what caused this weird confrontational one.

imalil2gangsta4u
07-24-2009, 10:17 PM
also ide add the shank overhead that barely goes over the net

Bungalo Bill
07-25-2009, 05:14 AM

Yeah, like I care. I was joking too, well, only about the ball being in his mouth. Where is your sense of humor?

Bungalo Bill
07-25-2009, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterST http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3728291#post3728291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterST http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3728291#post3728291)
I saw some other posts bungalo bill made and they were really helpful and insightful. I wonder what caused this weird confrontational one.

So, you think this just happened overnight? For that you would have to go back in history and review all the nonsense posts from Mrs. Certified Nonsense.

But tell me, you comment on something you don't know about? And to yourself? Hmmmmm....sounds like someone is using two userid's. ;)

HunterST
07-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Quote:

So, you think this just happened overnight? For that you would have to go back in history and review all the nonsense posts from Mrs. Certified Nonsense.

But tell me, you comment on something you don't know about? And to yourself? Hmmmmm....sounds like someone is using two userid's. ;)

Haha no, I just have one user id. I just saw your post in here where you made fun of a guy who didn't seem to be asking for it. Then I noticed a bunch of threads with people specifically asking for your help, and read some posts which were all really helpful.

I don't know about the situation, but at first glance it looked like you were just wanting to start an argument, now I realize I didn't understand the situation and that you help a lot of people on the board, so I apologize.

yoh4u
07-25-2009, 08:55 AM
When I really get a good cut at my kick serve it bounces to my opponents forehand and chagra direction to their face or just jamming them. Best part is its a second serve

Djokovicfan4life
07-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Haha no, I just have one user id. I just saw your post in here where you made fun of a guy who didn't seem to be asking for it. Then I noticed a bunch of threads with people specifically asking for your help, and read some posts which were all really helpful.

I don't know about the situation, but at first glance it looked like you were just wanting to start an argument, now I realize I didn't understand the situation and that you help a lot of people on the board, so I apologize.

Do a search for some of CJ's posts. I think you'll get the picture.

Bungalo Bill
07-25-2009, 11:53 AM

That is alright. You will see as you hang around. I think you got caught into my "payback" mode without seeing what this guy has done. You will see.