PDA

View Full Version : Do NTRP doubles results affect NTRP singles rankings?

TheSubdude
07-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Does anyone know? A link would be ideal.

I would think no, but I would like to know.

TheSubdude
07-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Well the more I read around this forum, the more I realize that it does indeed count. That's flawed.

SlapShot
07-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Well the more I read around this forum, the more I realize that it does indeed count. That's flawed.

Why? Your NTRP isn't just based off of singles results, as tennis isn't just a sport of singles. There are guys who are easily 4.5 doubles players who would struggle at 4.0 singles, but still are valid 4.5 players due to their results.

OrangePower
07-17-2009, 04:10 PM

Singles and doubles count towards the same NTRP rating. Arguably it is flawed since someone could be a much better at dubs vs singles or the other way around. But many people play both, and it would be overly complicated to maintain 2 ratings for each person.

GeoffB
07-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Singles and doubles count towards the same NTRP rating. Arguably it is flawed since someone could be a much better at dubs vs singles or the other way around. But many people play both, and it would be overly complicated to maintain 2 ratings for each person.

I don't think it would necessarily be all that difficult. It's done by computer, and it seems like they could just separate out the matches and apply the same algorithm to two different data sets. These things get complicated in unexpected ways (especially when people start looking for ways to game it), so I admit I could be overlooking something, but it just doesn't seem all that difficult, from a technical pov...

Topaz
07-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Singles rankings can only be achieved by playing singles in a USTA sanctioned tournament.

Singles ratings are, well, non-existent. There are no different rankings at an NTRP level for singles vs. doubles (though that would certainly be a good idea). If you play league, you will generate a rating, but not a *ranking*.

Ratings do not equal rankings...in other words.

OrangePower
07-18-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't think it would necessarily be all that difficult. It's done by computer, and it seems like they could just separate out the matches and apply the same algorithm to two different data sets. These things get complicated in unexpected ways (especially when people start looking for ways to game it), so I admit I could be overlooking something, but it just doesn't seem all that difficult, from a technical pov...

Yeah the technology and math side of it would be easy... those are not the complications I was thinking of. I was thinking of what it would mean to have a player be say 4.0 in singles but 4.5 in dubs. So he could play singles for a 4.0 team but could not play dubs for the same team. Would seem strange. And if said player wanted to play both singles and doubles, he'd have to join 2 different teams (unless the 4.5 captain wants to entertain a 4.0 singles player). And as you mentioned, ratings manipulation would skyrocket...

Moz
07-19-2009, 12:28 AM
It's a ridiculous situation that singles and doubles results count to the same rating.

Are there any other countries in the world that operate such a daft system?