PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a possible new racquet

denj3325
07-17-2009, 04:07 PM
I have started playing tennis this summer a bunch and started to LOVE the game so I bought a Prince O3 Hybrid Hornet Mid-Plus from my friend for a good deal Because he was never going to use it again. I like it, but I just want to see what else is out there. I play mainly from the baseline and am not the most consistent at hitting the sweet spot on my swing admittedly. I heard babolat makes good racquets for baseliners from some of my friends ands I just want to mainly see what else is out there in terms of racquets. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!

P.S. Im new to this forum, so hello everyone!

theenrighthouse
07-17-2009, 04:21 PM
imho, http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-BAPD.html is a killer deal, as long as 4 5/8 is ok (all that is left). I just ordered two a few weeks ago, and, although 5/8 is slightly too large for me, I just replaced the Babolat grips with a white prince replacement grip that is slightly thinner (not just an overgrip, of course). Now they come in at slightly less than 4 1/2 and they're perfect.

witit
07-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Honestly if you just start, stay with what you have. The O3 Hornet is a decent racquet to start with. Somewhere in the middle, not too heavy, not too light. An oversize racquet typically has a larger sweet spot which may help you but you can develop bad stroke from it.

I would stick with the Hornet and work on your stroke and timing. Once you develop that, you can switch to whatever you like.

shell
07-17-2009, 04:50 PM
I have started playing tennis this summer a bunch and started to LOVE the game so I bought a Prince O3 Hybrid Hornet Mid-Plus from my friend for a good deal Because he was never going to use it again. I like it, but I just want to see what else is out there. I play mainly from the baseline and am not the most consistent at hitting the sweet spot on my swing admittedly. I heard babolat makes good racquets for baseliners from some of my friends ands I just want to mainly see what else is out there in terms of racquets. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!

P.S. Im new to this forum, so hello everyone!

Denj, welcome to the boards. If you are new to tennis, and you have a racquet that you like, I would suggest you stick with it. Don't be pulled into the idea that a new racquet will solve everything. You will read on these forums about a ton of racquets, but until you have your game down and know what you want or need to change, then you are fine with the racquet that you have.

Dark_Angel85
07-18-2009, 08:15 AM
what's your budget?

furyoku_tennis
07-19-2009, 10:47 PM
if you're interested in trying some new and different racquets, you should use TW's demo program. it'll let you try out a large variety with very little cost to you. its a lot cheaper than buying a random racquet.

denj3325
07-23-2009, 09:01 PM
what's your budget?

I don't really have a budget, but I guess the lower the better (obviously). I want a racquet that I can grow with. Im not necessarily looking to buy right now, I just want some suggestions on some racquets to try out to see what else is out there.

Birke
07-23-2009, 09:08 PM
I have an O3 Hybrid Spectrum recently strung with Prince synthetic strings (used only for an hour on the new strings).

Its just like your current racquet.

So if you're looking for a backup thats exactly like your current racquet in case a string breaks on yours or what not, shoot me an email at birketennis at gmail dot com

ra7686
07-23-2009, 09:12 PM
I agree with shell. It's better to just stick with the racquet you started with while you develop strokes/technique. Later down the road, when you figure out what kind of tennis you want to play, it'll make more sense to get a racquet then that will complement your game.

Right now, just work on your tennis. A racquet won't change your game as dramatically as lessons or practice will.

Team_Volkl
07-23-2009, 09:39 PM
This might not be the best advice or the advice that you want to hear, but this is all I got.

Since you're just starting out, you don't yet know what you want or need in a racquet because your game is just developing. You might play the baseline now, but may come to love playing net game, or simply just being an all-courter. I know that I started out as a baseliner and I still am primarily a baseliner, but I come to net a lot more often than I used to.

There are so many different things to learn with tennis from racquet grip size to weight of the racquet to swingweight to stiffness to power to control to strings to string tension, etc.

If I were in your position, I would keep on playing and focusing on the game itself rather than equipment. Now yes, don't get me wrong, having all the right stuff will help you a lot, but it's not going to make or break you unless you have complete junk or the racquet is WAY too light or WAY too heavy.

As time goes by, you will begin to notice things like:

"Hey, I really like how I can control the ball with this racquet but man it sure is hard for the racquet to remain stable when returning hard, heavy balls"

or

"Jeez, I can sure pound the ball like crazy, but I keep hitting the ball long"

or whatever else the case may be.

Then you will actually know what you want and need versus wanting something different and new now, but without actually even knowing what you need.

So I'd stick with what you have now until you start feeling like you need answers to these sorts of questions, then go on your quest to find the perfect gear for you and your playing style.

denj3325
07-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks to everyone that has offered up advice so far