PDA

View Full Version : more power vs. control

prjacobs
07-17-2009, 03:14 PM
The short story... Well, not so short:)
I used a prince precision graphite for years. Low power - 640 on the prince scale.... 12.9 oz with my mods. I then switched to a 27.25 volkl, (don't remember the model).
With a lighter frame I...
1. Got lots of free points with my lefty serve. When it's on, it's pretty good. Not blindingly fast, but not necessarily easy to return:)
2. My opponents said, "I thought I'd won the point and then you won it with the next shot.
But it ultimately didn't feel that great on my arm and hurt my backhand.
My forehand is by far my stronger side. It's a legitimate weapon, but unfortunately, when it brings me to the net, my volleys aren't that great.
I have a one handed backhand that's so so.
So.... I'm looking for something slightly lighter, maybe slightly below 12 oz, with some power that I can control, but definitely more power.
I'm in my late 50s, haven't played for 6 years. My latest racquet was a head radical tour, which I hated when I picked it up last week, with a new hybrid gut/luxilon setup. It fell like a board. Played @ a 4 - 4.5 back in the day.
Any suggestions would be appreciated....
Thanks.

Kevo
07-17-2009, 04:13 PM
What did you have your frame strung at? You can string a hybrid pretty low and get much better feel, more power, and still have decent control. If you string it to tight though, it can feel like a board as you describe. This can happen with any frame.

prjacobs
07-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Strung @ 56/60

Kevo
07-17-2009, 08:16 PM
56/60 might have been the problem. On a flexible frame the crosses tighter than the mains could have changed the shape of the head and the feel as well.

I'd personally try it at a straight tension first maybe 55lbs. and see how it goes.

Ben
07-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Try a Pro Kennex SQ Ltd or 15 PSE