PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Lead Tape Inside The Butt

normrose
07-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Some suggestions please:

I have been modifying a frame with a trap door butt cap.

In the process of modification I have removed the butt cap and replaced it by gluing it to the handle. As a consequence I don't have the staples to use as floor to insert some putty and then place the lead tape on top of the putty a process I have found works ok for me in the past.

I have thought about placing the tape on the centre part of the divider inside the butt and also on the outside of the handle up against the butt - my preferred method is to stuff the tape inside the handle/butt.

Any suggestions s to how I can get around this problem would be appreciated - thanks

10s4fun
07-17-2009, 09:49 PM
You will have to split this up into two pieces (one for each side of the racquet).

Take the lead tape and roll it up in a ball. Then take a piece of an overgrip (I have the Wilson white overgrip) and roll the lead up in it. Use enough of the overgrip to stuff the ball tightly into your racquet. Rolling it up in a piece of the overgrip prevents it making any noise.

Before inserting the lead ball, stuff a little bit of cotton inside the racquet to prevent the ball from moving upwards. Leave just enough room to shove in the lead rolled in the overgrip. Remember, do this on each side. That's it.

You'll have to weigh everything to make sure you have the right amount of weight you are looking to add. The overgrip and cottom will add a little weight so you may have to use less lead tape.

normrose
07-17-2009, 10:28 PM
QUOTE=10s4fun;3704112]You will have to split this up into two pieces (one for each side of the racquet).

Take the lead tape and roll it up in a ball. Then take a piece of an overgrip (I have the Wilson white overgrip) and roll the lead up in it. Use enough of the overgrip to stuff the ball tightly into your racquet. Rolling it up in a piece of the overgrip prevents it making any noise.

Before inserting the lead ball, stuff a little bit of cotton inside the racquet to prevent the ball from moving upwards. Leave just enough room to shove in the lead rolled in the overgrip. Remember, do this on each side. That's it.

You'll have to weigh everything to make sure you have the right amount of weight you are looking to add. The overgrip and cottom will add a little weight so you may have to use less lead tape.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the helpful info.

How do you stop the lead etc from slipping down the handle.

Do you make a floor somehow to stop the lead from slipping down. I used to use the staples in other racquets but in this case I don't have any staples to work with?

overgrip
07-19-2009, 03:21 AM
This sounds like a good method; better than wrapping the end of the handle w/tape and overgripping. Are all butt caps easily removable to work this? i.e. I would like to do it on my Dunlop ag300.

Bud
07-19-2009, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the helpful info.

How do you stop the lead etc from slipping down the handle.

Do you make a floor somehow to stop the lead from slipping down. I used to use the staples in other racquets but in this case I don't have any staples to work with?

Stuff a piece of cotton (or part of that overgrip you're using to wrap the lead) into the hole prior to inserting the lead. That acts as the 'floor'.

Bud
07-19-2009, 04:01 AM
This sounds like a good method; better than wrapping the end of the handle w/tape and overgripping. Are all butt caps easily removable to work this? i.e. I would like to do it on my Dunlop ag300.

No, all butt caps are not easily removable... however, I believe your AG300 has a Dunlop butt cap with a trap door. Use a small slot screwdriver to pop off the door... then get to work! :-D

hoodjem
07-19-2009, 09:32 AM
How about considering using fishing weights instead of the lead tape?

Go here:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

(It seems like a waste of the tape if you just roll it up in a ball.)

Bud
07-19-2009, 01:54 PM
How about considering using fishing weights instead of the lead tape?

Go here:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

(It seems like a waste of the tape if you just roll it up in a ball.)

I've used both. I have (literally) a box of old lead tape strips I've peeled from racquets... which can't be easily reused. Rather than throw them away, I try and recycle.

I sometimes use the old lead tape strips if the holes are small. That way the tape can be molded and stacked to fit inside the odd-shaped/small butt hole :oops::shock:

If using lead fishing weights... sometimes, you have to break out the Dremel.

lenderbender
07-19-2009, 02:48 PM
try blue tac seriously i use it for my racket. sticks right on doesnt come off easily and when you need to take it out it doesnt leave loads of random blue tac bits everywhere. bad thing is that if you play on artifical courts its like a sand magnet

lenderbender
07-19-2009, 02:49 PM
oh yea forgot to mention (and how do you edit posts?)

you can always stick lead tape inside the blue tac

Bud
07-19-2009, 03:19 PM
oh yea forgot to mention (and how do you edit posts?)

you can always stick lead tape inside the blue tac

You can't until you have (I think) around 50 posts.

Headcase
07-19-2009, 03:53 PM
From my experience the inner walls of rackets tend to have rough surfaces with mold release residue and often lead tape with self adhesive or glue will peel up or release after a time. Injecting equal parts of silicone works well in twin tube and single tubes. If you have a precision scale (1/100gram) you can substitute silicone for lead quite easily. Also gives some rackets a more muted feel - particularly the Head two chambered rackets like the prestige line.

backhand
07-19-2009, 07:05 PM
In my experience, tape or glue always ends up breaking off, moving, ending up with a weird balance. Silcon is good, but heavy. For less weight, some expanding foam like you'd use for window seals. Also agree about the muted feel; you might want to try it experimentally before you do the whole deal. And assume you are looking for a serious increase in headlightness or if you rebalance, seriously heavier racquet.

AJK1
07-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Contrary to popular belief, I strongly advise you to put nothing inside the handle, just wrap lead tape above the top of the handle, ala Pete Sampras, and put the eqivalent at 3 & 9 o'clock.
Believe it or not, there is more to adding weight to a racquet than merely slapping or adding weight to various parts of one.
It is actually scientific based.
The swingweight is measured 10cms above the butt cap, so putting weight below that mark just makes the racquet unbalanced and will swing unevenly.

chiru
07-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Contrary to popular belief, I strongly advise you to put nothing inside the handle, just wrap lead tape above the top of the handle, ala Pete Sampras, and put the eqivalent at 3 & 9 o'clock.
Believe it or not, there is more to adding weight to a racquet than merely slapping or adding weight to various parts of one.
The swingweight is measured 10cms above the butt cap, so putting weight below that mark just makes the racquet unbalanced and will swing unevenly.

a few questions: how do you know that pete puts his lead tape there? (not to sound incredulous, but i'm curious...). also, doesn't it make the handle a little bit thicker up there (if you play a 2 hdbh for example)?

Ajtat411
07-23-2009, 11:23 AM

I used the customization tool in TW university and it says I should add weight 1.2" above the butt and 22.5 inches above the butt. So you're saying the TW customization tool is not correct?