PDA

View Full Version : drop weight

bendover
04-07-2004, 08:45 PM
are drop weight machines accurate???

topspin
04-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Laserfibre because they use a unique system where you don't need to have the arm horizontal for consistent precise tensioning.

Gaines Hillix
04-08-2004, 04:07 AM
bendover, drop weights are accurate if they are used properly. With the Laserfibre tensioning system you don't have to be as careful with where the arm settles. Tension can also be lost in certain situations because of the flying clamps most drops weights have.

bendover
04-08-2004, 07:13 PM
soooooo are the clamps that came with the gamma progression good?? And is there a fixed clamp upgrade for the progression 602??

Quick Action Clamp Upgrade

Includes : Turntable, Quick-Action Clamp Base, Thin Profile Diamond Coated String Clamps. (Specify #10 for early model 6002, 6002 Es, and 7000 Es machines, and #11 for 5002 or Progression 200, 600, 600Fc, 601, ST, and Es machines.)

this doesn't show that it fits for 602 model

chang10is
04-11-2004, 07:46 PM
bendover, drop weights are accurate if they are used properly. With the Laserfibre tensioning system you don't have to be as careful with where the arm settles. Tension can also be lost in certain situations because of the flying clamps most drops weights have.

How much tension would you estimate is being lost with floating clamps, on average? I'm having that problem right now, but I'm not sure how much of the problem is the clamps and how much is the string. I've never used Gosen OG-Sheep before, but it seems like it's softer than the Gamma syn gut and XL 16 that I used in the past, so I'm wondering if the string just feels looser. I just strung at 57 lbs with Gosen OG-Sheep 16, and it feels looser than when I did Gamma XL 16 on my friend's Alpha crank machine with fixed clamps at 52 lbs.

bendover
04-11-2004, 09:29 PM
tighten up the clamps a bit then ;)

passerofgasses
04-23-2004, 11:00 PM
How much tension would you estimate is being lost with floating clamps, on average?
I think it's easier to quantify what is lost in terms of distance, not tension. With a string that doesn't stretch much, you'll lose a whole lot of tension with a little bit of distance loss, whereas I'm assuming the Gosen OG Sheep is stretchy, so it'll lose less tension with the same distance loss. (Do you like how I avoided answering?)

Just look at your string when you release the tensioner and estimate how much distance it pulls back. There's always some sort of give to it, although I would put anything over 1/4" as excessive (I've seen people write 1/8" is a lot), but really I have no idea what's good or not. I'd say mine gives about 1/8" on average.

If it's giving more, I guess one solution is of course pulling more initially, but remember to make sure the give is consistent. In the end, who knows what tension it really is at.

Flying clamps suck because of the flex in the fixed string, and that varies depending on the tension and length of that string. Too bad they can't make a flying clamp that also clamps onto the frame somehow.