PDA

View Full Version : Western grip for high forehands - ball loses arch and goes downward?

firstblud
07-18-2009, 12:25 AM
is it normal for one to virtually hit down on a ball with with a western forehand? i seem to make it go straight down instead of having that arch when the ball goes high to me. when the ball is too high, i can't really go from high to higher with enough power.

so the ball tends to go downward for me and there's very little bounce... i think there's less spin.

i guess i'd like to have the ability to hit a high topspin ball for high forehands and not hit lasers going downward to kill non-competitive rallies.

3lowdown
07-18-2009, 10:16 AM
i love my western grip because of those high forehands. I can flatten those high ones out and be aggressive while others have to lob back.

But for you, i guess your saying you want to hit topspin back on the high ball. Well your kinda out of luck unless you get behind the ball and let it come down.

chris
07-18-2009, 03:02 PM
yup the western grip is great with those high balls because it almost narurally flattens them out but it would be pretty difficult to get that loopy topspin on high balls

mrcalon
07-18-2009, 03:42 PM
try leaning backwards to get a higher trajectory.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
07-18-2009, 04:15 PM
i use a sw grip. and when a high forehand comes to me
i jus jump up and hit a downward topspin shot.
i come uip er the ball and back down
it makes the ball have enough spin to go over the net, but it dips down really fast.

ubermeyer
07-18-2009, 04:17 PM
western is easy to hit high balls, you hit flat and hard. however, if you want topspin, just brush up on it as normal. this is a weak stroke though, and should only be done if you want to lob over your opponent.