PDA

View Full Version : Ozone pro tour problems

philbhp
07-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Hellooo everyone,
I just bought some ozone pro tours--great sticks but feel kinda mushy. Any advice/suggestions on string types/tensions/setups I can use to get a crisper less mushy feel?

ollinger
07-18-2009, 09:32 AM
A racquet with a flex rating of 60 is bound to feel mushy, moreso if it is a Prince 03, as those tend to feel disconnected. You could always try a really wiry string like Timo or Spiky.

dParis
07-18-2009, 10:47 AM
The flex rating of the Ozone Pro Tour is 65 per TW. The Ozone Tour flex rating is 60. I haven't hit with either stick and I'm not sure what difference in feel 5 flex points makes. I'm curious to hear opinions about this, especially between the Pro Tour and Tour although I assume the are too many other variables involved between two sticks to make a direct comparison of slightly different flex ratings.

dParis
07-18-2009, 10:52 AM
To add to the above, the OP would probably find the Ozone Tour extremely mushy with its 60 flex and looser string pattern, correct?

DustinW
07-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Which throat grommets are you using? The hard grommets should make it less mushy. I use the hard throat grommets with SPPP Pure at 58#, and I think it feels great.

And this may sound silly, but try it without a vib dampener. It will feel much more crisp.

ipitythefool
07-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Ozone Pro Tour is my favorite racquet right now, frame-wise. It came pre-strung w/ Prince Recoil. I love the fact that the string does not move, but it definitely does not have much power to it (or maybe it became loose since I have been playing with my OPT) And there is a nice "pop" sound to the Recoil, which I like very much that is why I didnt cut these strings yet :)
But I am tired of the Recoil as it is on the mushy side and "power" is not part of my game anymore when I play with OPT, due to strings.

I also think that this racquet should be played with a crisp string. I would like to try Cyberflash w/ Sweet Forten on crosses.

To the OP, my suggestion is you can also try Pro Hurricane Tour. That is a very crisp and very nice string, imo.

One other option is to try Pacific poly strings, which few OPT playing pros do prefer it!

It is hard for me to understand why there is not much talk about OPT's. It is a great racquet!

furyoku_tennis
07-19-2009, 09:43 PM
try using the ozone pro tour with the hard throat grommet, strung at a couple pounds above mid tension. i normally just use klip kickers, but if you're looking for a different kind of string, definitely go for a poly.

Deuce
07-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Please be responsible and STAY AWAY from the Ozone racquets.
The big grommet holes in those racquets are the primary cause of global warming!

philbhp
07-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Please be responsible and STAY AWAY from the Ozone racquets.
The big grommet holes in those racquets are the primary cause of global warming!

hahahaha for sure these sticks are hot!

thanks to all the above posters for the advice. i'll be sure to try a stiffer poly string to get more of that "board" feel i'm looking for.