PDA

View Full Version : Flexier frame ?

Genesys
07-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi,

Until now, I've always played with stiff frames, around 66-70 RA. I'm a big hitter from the baseline, with a little spin, and I love to get to the net after 2-3 big groundies. Si I'm wondering if flexier frames can fit my game, what would be the changes ?

movdqa
07-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Lower power, more control (you can hit out more), probably easier on your arm. You might not be able to get the flexier frames in an open pattern so spin production might suffer.

What are you trying to accomplish with a flexier racquet? Is there something that you don't like about your currrent setup?

Genesys
07-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Lower power, more control (you can hit out more), probably easier on your arm. You might not be able to get the flexier frames in an open pattern so spin production might suffer.

What are you trying to accomplish with a flexier racquet? Is there something that you don't like about your currrent setup?

In fact I'm playing with a stiff frame and a stiff string (Duralast) I just like that the way it is, this was just to know if something was going to improve

dacrymn
07-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Flexier frames feel better, which is the biggest thing. 'Course it all depends on the string you're using.

Although, why exactly do people think flexible rackets give you better control? If anything it's counterintuitive, and stiff rackets should give you a more straightforward response, right? Why does hitting out more let you place the ball better?

movdqa
07-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Flexier frames give you better depth control but less directional control. The depth control comes from less power. With stiff frames, you're supposed to add spin to keep the ball in the court but some older-school players prefer to use flatter strokes and can have problems with the more powerful racquets.

Right now I'm playing with a supposedly very stiff frame with a stiff string and I love the power and I find that it's easy on my arm.

dacrymn
07-18-2009, 01:57 PM
ah. well put

mutantducky
07-18-2009, 03:40 PM
i'd try out the Fischer frames

fuzz nation
07-19-2009, 06:52 PM
What you might find with a softer racquet is that you can hit hard from the baseline with more margin for error, but that racquet may also have less inherent pop. When you move forward to hit a volley, the more flexible frame may put a bit less sting on those shots and it can also be the case that you'll get a little less heat on your serves.

If your current racquet isn't too heavy, it might turn out that another frame with the same weight and more flex could be rather dead. You'd be smart to try a couple of softer racquets with different weights to see if you get better performance out of one or another.

Anton
07-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi,

Until now, I've always played with stiff frames, around 66-70 RA. I'm a big hitter from the baseline, with a little spin, and I love to get to the net after 2-3 big groundies. Si I'm wondering if flexier frames can fit my game, what would be the changes ?

Absolutely - it sounds like Rebel EXO3 95 would fit your game style perfectly - big strokes on the flat side, big serves, solid volleys and a lot of touch.

A flexier racket will give you more comfort and feel - you probably will enjoy hitting with it more.

As for other stats flexier frames usually come with 7-8 point head light balance, tighter 18x20 string pattern (prestige mids, redondo mid, prince rebel, dunlop 200) and usually more weight - all the ones I mentioned are about 12oz.

Lazer-blasters with heavy serves like myself love frames like this.

What I like about Rebel is that while it is great for driving the ball on the flat side it can also be used for heavy spin as well if I want to switch things up a bit or go for short-angle top spin shots.

furyoku_tennis
07-19-2009, 09:21 PM
In fact I'm playing with a stiff frame and a stiff string (Duralast) I just like that the way it is, this was just to know if something was going to improve

well, if you like things the way they are, you should stick with it. however, if you're curious, definitely give some flexy racquets a demo. flexy and stiff are quite subjective in terms of preference so its hard to tell based off of what others say.