PDA

View Full Version : Good strokes, serve, terrible results...

aptennis91
07-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi, I'm a high school level player that has never gotten tennis lessons or played in clubs. I developed my strokes by looking at internet tips and I have a pretty solid WW forehand and backhand and have a slice deuce serve and topspin 2nd serve.
So at first sight I look like a very good player but i am terrible when it comes to the actual game. I just almost zone out in important moments and either get lobbed when i'm at net or am a step late getting to shots. Any suggestions? Is it just lack of experience?

RoddickAce
07-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi, I'm a high school level player that has never gotten tennis lessons or played in clubs. I developed my strokes by looking at internet tips and I have a pretty solid WW forehand and backhand and have a slice deuce serve and topspin 2nd serve.
So at first sight I look like a very good player but i am terrible when it comes to the actual game. I just almost zone out in important moments and either get lobbed when i'm at net or am a step late getting to shots. Any suggestions? Is it just lack of experience?

Most probably. Also, remember to practice footwork drills. Many players' feet freeze during matches because of nerves, and in my opinion, that's what causes groundstrokes to break down---frozen feet that cause you to reach for balls or overrun. But if you purposely practice your footwork, you'll feel a lot more comfortable during match situations.

gsquicksilver
07-18-2009, 12:49 PM
you most likely lack game play experience. do you tend to play rallies more than actual games? do you get afraid when challenged to play a set? if the answer is yes to the above questions, you definitely need to get more game play experience under your belt. don't worry, eventually you'll start winning. just be patient.

aptennis91
07-18-2009, 06:32 PM
you most likely lack game play experience. do you tend to play rallies more than actual games? do you get afraid when challenged to play a set? if the answer is yes to the above questions, you definitely need to get more game play experience under your belt. don't worry, eventually you'll start winning. just be patient.

You're definitely right..
Are there any footwork drills that are easy to do at home or on the court?
Also, I'm not a USTA member and not really in a position to spend much money in tennis, so is there a way that I can get more game experience?
I frequently go practice alone hit on the run curving forehand winners, but they become dinky when I play...:(

pvaudio
07-18-2009, 08:10 PM
It's 100% lack of court sense. You need to play lots of players to get it. The best strokes in the world are useless if you don't know when to use them. I can almost guarantee you that's what's happening. Let me guess, you tend to dump lots of balls into the net, or get passed every time you do come to the net? You probably go for winners off merely average balls too. Am I right?

albesca
07-20-2009, 01:08 AM

I take your question as occasion to expose what i think, and hope to see other opinions about.

Maybe your tactics is too offensive, i do the same at my lower level. What i've noticed, is that when i start a match with an "attack mind-set" ... i have great difficult to do a good defence, and tend to over-hit everything. Yes, it happens I hit some great shot ... I get congratulation from my opponent... but i loose. Viceversa, i've noticed to be able to switch easily from defence to offence.

The thinking sometimes i'v done: "I have a great forehand....hit here and i destroy you .." .. was a dangerous invoid from my mind to attack everything. Experienced player have a "defence mind-set" at basement of their tactics, expecially on return games.

On returning a first serve and when you are serving a second serve, try to put in your mind a defensive base think, ex. :"keep attention guy, you have to run and run as quickly as you can" , run and hit deep, again and again, until the short ball comes, and finally you can switch your mind-set from defence to offence and your good technics sure comes to help you to finish the point.

On your first serve and returnig a poor second, be free to have an attack project but, if your first serve goes out or the opponent second serve isn't so poor, come back to the defensive mind-set: the "running mind-set".

.. i'm learning to doing so. I continue to loose with experienced players :) , but now these matches are "fighted" .. and not only an opponent 6-0 show.

Finally, my modest suggestion is: develop a great defence and preserves your best wine for best moments. Good luck !

Ciao
Alberto

aptennis91
07-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Actally my problem is that I get too defensive.
I actually start dinking shots at some point in hopes of creating mistakes from the other player. My normal strokes just go away when I play.
One problem I fixed from when I first posted this is learning adjustment steps.. hopefully that helps.

Blake0
07-20-2009, 08:00 AM
That means you don't have enough practice to be confident with your strokes under pressure.

Most people including me either lose their strokes or stop moving their feet or both.when they lose their strokes some people go to the way they're sure they can hit consistently in. For some it means dinking, others slowing down, others just go through their motion.

It's just from a lack of match experience mainly, and more practice will help.

GuyClinch
07-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Actally my problem is that I get too defensive.
I actually start dinking shots at some point in hopes of creating mistakes from the other player. My normal strokes just go away when I play.
One problem I fixed from when I first posted this is learning adjustment steps.. hopefully that helps.

I have this same problem. Its pretty frustrating. I would start thinking about balls you want to load up on and practice taking good cuts on those. That has seemed to help me some. Shots like a weak second serve or a short ball to the backhand out wide are the ones I look for. But it depends on your game.

dave333
07-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Footwork is definitely really important when you are putting it all together.

Definitely watch videos of Nadal; the man shows what you should be doing when it comes to staying on your toes and really moving those feet.