PDA

View Full Version : How to tell when to replace strings?

cutchemist42
07-18-2009, 12:41 PM
It seems like in alot of spots the strings are digging into the others badly. They also seem to be moving alot. Is that bad?

movdqa
07-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Some people like the strings to be loose and some like them tight. It's best to have at least a second matching racquet - if they break, just grab another.

dantespark33
07-18-2009, 01:12 PM
i usually just keep the same string in until i break them, it's that or string a few days before a tournament

LetFirstServe
07-18-2009, 01:52 PM
When my first serve percentage starts dropping drastically. I will know when its REALLY in fact the raquet strings and not just a short service slump.

tennisnoob2
07-18-2009, 01:54 PM
when they start to feel different or break.

Casey10s
07-18-2009, 03:42 PM
If I am swinging the racquet with my normal strokes and too many of them are going out or are too close to the line, time to restring. Best way to tell is that you are not playing at the same level of control as you were a week ago.

pshulam
07-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Usually most people wait until the strings break. However, they should be replaced when they become loose that may result in less control.

Mansewerz
07-18-2009, 06:26 PM
When they break
When they go dead (usually an issue with poly)
When they are hurting your arm/elbow/shoulder/etc
When you feel the strings are negatively affecting your game
When you want to try something else

Zielmann
07-18-2009, 06:31 PM
I usually just use them until they break.

They will start to feel a little different when they are close to breaking. I actually like that feel, don't know why.

They do usually move around more when they are about to break, too. And like you said, there will be noticeable gouges in the mains. If you want to see just how bad they are, pull a cross up or down, and check out the gouge in the mains. Just make sure you put the cross back. I've actually noticed that if I move a couple crosses out of those marks, the strings break sooner.

LetFirstServe
07-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Yes after not using a raquet for a year I noticed the gauges in the mains dont even line up with where the crosses supposed to be.

I thought the gauges appear more over time rather than play.

goosala
07-19-2009, 12:41 PM
I usually restring after they break but if I am hitting the ball too long then I'll go ahead and restring.

stanfordtennis alum
07-19-2009, 12:46 PM
i would restring at least once every 3 months.. u need to change them once they break,become loose, lose their playability

Zielmann
07-19-2009, 01:45 PM
I thought the gauges appear more over time rather than play.

They will appear over time as well. But they show up much faster with heavy play. Those gouges are the only reason the strings break in the first place. They break faster when the gouges appear faster, which happens with frequent and heavy use.

LetFirstServe
07-19-2009, 01:49 PM
^^^Thanks....obviously Im not a breaker

Tiberius
07-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Hello everyone! First post! :D

Thanks for the tips...I was always unsure about when I need to restring...

Winners or Errors
07-20-2009, 03:42 PM
It seems like in alot of spots the strings are digging into the others badly. They also seem to be moving alot. Is that bad?

It means they are about to break. If it's your only racquet and you can't afford downtime, get it restrung. I find that, because I break strings frequently, the strings last just until they are ready to be replaced anyway, and then they pop. That's with synthetic gut. I, and I think everyone else on the planet, have to cut out poly.

Zielmann
07-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Hello everyone! First post! :D

Thanks for the tips...I was always unsure about when I need to restring...

Welcome to the forums!

And a good rule of thumb for replacing strings (assuming you aren't breaking them sooner than this):

You should typically restring at least twice a year. Other than that, I believe they say that you should be putting fresh strings on once a year for every one day a week you typically play tennis. That would mean that if you play 4 days a week, you should string 4 times a year, minimum. But a lot of people, including myself, break them much more often than that.

And don't be afraid to restring if the stringbed just doesn't feel as good as it used to. Strings lose tension and go dead over time. Even if they aren't used. So even if it isn't time yet based on the guidelines I gave above, but the strings feel dead, go ahead and change them out.

Double bagel
07-20-2009, 09:01 PM
When my first serve percentage starts dropping drastically. I will know when its REALLY in fact the raquet strings and not just a short service slump.

Amen to that.

ManuGinobili
07-22-2009, 02:00 AM
Well it's really tough to tell for players who don't have the feel imprinted on their mind/have inconsistent shots and play only once a week. If you fit in that mold, I suggest follow the guidelines by Zielmann... 2 months is normally a good period for intermediate players