PDA

View Full Version : exhaling during serve contact

mikegaotennis
07-18-2009, 06:24 PM
hey guys, today i was just practicing my serves as usual. then all of a sudden the thought of weightlifting came into my mind. when i exhale during my squats and bench presses i can lift faster and with less effort than usual. so i tried to incorporate this into my serve

what i did was i would inhale really slowly while bouncing the ball to reset into my service stance, and once my breath was full, i would just serve normally but exhale before i hit the ball. my second serve was much more consistent and kicked higher. my first serve was more consistent and maybe a little faster.

what do you guys think? is it in the mind? or does this actually work? even if you think it's crazy, just try it!

Nonentity
07-18-2009, 06:31 PM
i think most people do it, even if they aren't paying attention. If you hold your breath throughout your serve, you would notice it, it doesn't feel comfortable.

pvaudio
07-18-2009, 07:44 PM
You should be doing this naturally.

gzhpcu
07-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Breathing out or exhaling when hitting is very important as this helps in developing the feel of letting go. Once read it adds about 5% more speed to the serve. This is why the pros exhale when hitting groundstrokes. It need not be a shriek, however...

prattle128
07-19-2009, 12:41 AM
I also exhale/sometimes quietly grunt because it feels more natural because of all the energy I am using to try and get as much swing speed as I can for when I come into contact with the ball. I always exhale when I come into contact with the ball, whether it be a serve, groundstroke, volley, whatever. Only really during the serve do I ever make a quiet grunting noise.

When I've hit around with people before, I've tried kinda doing the "grunt-loudly-every-time-i-make-contact-with-the-ball-thing" and I personally found it to be kind of annoying to myself, and somewhat of a distraction to myself. I personally don't get why almost every player in the WTA has to scream, but whatever works for them I suppose.