PDA

View Full Version : Once you realize you only like one certain racket...

IwishIwasbetter
07-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Ok, one racket that no other racket seemed to even come close to is the Head Microgel Radical Pro in the 4 1/8 grip size with a dunlop hydramax overgrip, with a poly/syn gut hybrid or full x-1 biphase at around 55lbs and with a head smartsorb vibration dampner ( without this smartsorb, the racket feels AWFUL)

At a weight of 11.7 ounces and a swingweight of 319, It seems to have just enough heft/plow through, yet also seems to be maneuvarable enough so I don't get tired too fast and can keep swinging away. It seems to have the perfect amount of pop for me ( seems to have more pop than most rackets), and also provide a nice crispy/crunchy feel when the smartsorb is added,and the strings almost feel like they are cupping the ball when the smartsorb is added. The racket felt very solid in all aspects. The best part about it is the sweetspot felt huge. I just seem to play better with this racket.

Anyways, my question is, well, I have been improving really fast lately ( not that I am talented, I have just been playing an average of 4 hours a day this summer and working really hard), and I am thinking about how I will probably eventually ( not for a good while though) want to upgrade to a heavier stick with more control/stability and less power. Since I like the feel of this racket so much, when I do get to the point where I want a heftier frame, do you think it would be smart to just add lead tape to this racket instead of going out and trying/buying heavier rackets? Because even if I do add lead tape to the racket, the racket would still retain that feel that I am accustomed to while if I go out and try heavier rackets, they won't have that feel that i love. The only heavier rackets I was thinking about trying eventually would be the head microgel prestige mid. I hope my question was somewhat understandable..

By the way, I hate how cheap this racket looks and the paintjob and how cheap/hollow it feels in the hand, it seems like the quality of material in rackets is going downhill with head ever since the intelligence series..does anyone agree?...anyways that part doesnt really matters since i love how the racket plays (with the smartsorb)...

baek57
07-18-2009, 07:35 PM
If you like the racquet keep using it. There's nothing wrong with adding lead if you want it to be heavier. Maybe I'm missing the point of your question.

IwishIwasbetter
07-18-2009, 07:43 PM
If you like the racquet keep using it. There's nothing wrong with adding lead if you want it to be heavier. Maybe I'm missing the point of your question.

yeah i think i will do what you said and just try leading it, the point of my question was to ask that if any of you like how a racket feels a lot and have been playing with it for a while but wanted something heavier and more demanding, would you just add lead to that racket or would you start trying heavier rackets? because although a heavier racket would be heavier, it would also have a completly different feel...

Mansewerz
07-18-2009, 07:49 PM
If you like it, and play well with it, why even switch?

[d]ragon
07-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Why even add tape if you like it the way it is? The only time you start adding tape is if you feel you NEED more stability. And even then you should add small amounts at a time and stop when you're satisfied. If you just add lead and other customizations because you WANT to, you might end up constantly trying to find the right set-up and always trying new things instead of focusing on you game.

IwishIwasbetter
07-18-2009, 08:50 PM
ragon;3706529']Why even add tape if you like it the way it is? The only time you start adding tape is if you feel you NEED more stability. And even then you should add small amounts at a time and stop when you're satisfied. If you just add lead and other customizations because you WANT to, you might end up constantly trying to find the right set-up and always trying new things instead of focusing on you game.

very true, you guys are right, its pointless thinking about what i might like later on, i like how the racket plays now i guess thats all that matters, i will probably try adding lead in small amounts of time as you said , but that is only if i ever feel like my racket is lacking something, and right now, it is playing how i like it to be.

canadave
07-18-2009, 08:58 PM
It's a legit question, but a pretty straightforward answer, I think--since lead tape is cheap, easy to use, and removable, then yes, sure, try that first. Then, if that doesn't do it for you, and you feel you need a heavier racquet, go buy one :)

IwishIwasbetter
07-18-2009, 09:32 PM
It's a legit question, but a pretty straightforward answer, I think--since lead tape is cheap, easy to use, and removable, then yes, sure, try that first. Then, if that doesn't do it for you, and you feel you need a heavier racquet, go buy one :)

yeah this is pretty much what should be done..hmm..i tend to complicate things..anyways, i need to stop thinking about rackets and start thinking more about technique if i really want to get anywhere haha

canadave
07-18-2009, 09:47 PM
yeah this is pretty much what should be done..hmm..i tend to complicate things..anyways, i need to stop thinking about rackets and start thinking more about technique if i really want to get anywhere haha

No worries....overthinking isn't a problem. It's when humans underthink things that the problems occur ;)