PDA

View Full Version : More stiff = less feel?

Pet
07-19-2009, 11:24 AM
The material construction could have something to do, but in general...

is it true?

Enzo
07-19-2009, 11:49 AM
I think feel is a very opinionated term. A 70 RA racquet might have more feel for one person and a 50 RA for another. So is it true? I don't think so.

Keifers
07-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Feel for me is related to dwell time -- how long the ball stays on the strings. So yes, if the racquet is stiff, dwell time typically is shorter, so less feel. With a flexier racquet, dwell time is longer, so more feel.

Of course, the strings have a lot to do with dwell time also. One can adjust dwell time by putting, say, a softer string in a stiff frame.

And lastly, some soft strings actually don't give me a lot of feel of the ball. For example, TF Multifeel is very muted in feel even though it's soft and provides pretty good dwell time.

Hope this helps.

goosala
07-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Everything being equal: strings, tension, etc. I would say that yes more flex equals more feel while more stiffness means less feel. For me one frame that was too stiff with little feel was the POG mid. Compared to the PS Tour 90 or K90 the POG mid just didn't do it for me. Now I use the Dunlop AG100 which has awesome feel but is not too flexible where I lose power.

backhand
07-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Well, sorta, at least within a brand. If you factor in target swing speed and damping design. Take Pro Staff 85: Superb POTENTIAL feel and a 67 flex with a pattern equal to a 18x20 in a modern 98", so you if you hit like Pete every time, uniquely precise and nuanced. Otherwise, a 2x4. Or think about Pure Drives. Actually not bad feel if you string them high enough to beat the Woofers and then swing the hell out of them.

OTOH, take the old Head Pro Tour 280, flex of 58. Fair number of current pros still use them under new paintjobs. They get the low speed touch and control, but have the mechanics to get some power out of that flex. Some Yonnies and Princes work like that too.

But unless you have solid mechanics, you'll love the feel of that PT280 while you're losing every match to the club hacker with a 110 sq in game improvement thing. Stiff racquets will let you feel like a tennis god even without solid technique or touch. Thus, the answer for most <5.0's.

anirut
07-20-2009, 05:40 AM
The stiffer, the more feel ...

OOPS! wrong stiffnes I'm talking about ...

pshulam
07-20-2009, 06:03 AM
But unless you have solid mechanics, you'll love the feel of that PT280 while you're losing every match to the club hacker with a 110 sq in game improvement thing. Stiff racquets will let you feel like a tennis god even without solid technique or touch. Thus, the answer for most <5.0's.

So .. what you are saying for us mortal (< 5.0 rating) should stick with (or switch to) a 110 sq. in, stiff racquet. I plan to stick with my arm-friendly rackets, i.e., Pro Kennex Copper Ace, 5G, Prince Comp Spectrum 90.

Mdubb23
07-20-2009, 06:27 AM

Early morning chuckles are always much appreciated. ;)

nikdom
07-20-2009, 06:43 AM

I thought it was the other way around - more 'feel' makes for more 'stiff'
:twisted:

martinrousev
07-20-2009, 06:49 AM
So what does more stiffness give? Precision?