PDA

View Full Version : So Angry!!!

Jonny
07-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I was playing a doubles match today. I was serving at deuce and missed my first serve. I had a second serve which was called out and then corrected (the ball was clearly in) so I assumed a let would be played and I would have 2 serves again. They both said that I would only have one serve and that was the rules - now as far as i'm concerned, if something like this happens the point is replayed?

Can someone please point me in the right direction regarding the rules around this? I was so angry and it ruined my whole game and concentration. :evil:

Thanks

Bud
07-19-2009, 03:28 PM
I was playing a doubles match today. I was serving at deuce and missed my first serve. I had a second serve which was called out and then corrected (the ball was clearly in) so I assumed a let would be played and I would have 2 serves again. They both said that I would only have one serve and that was the rules - now as far as i'm concerned, if something like this happens the point is replayed?

Can someone please point me in the right direction regarding the rules around this? I was so angry and it ruined my whole game and concentration. :evil:

Thanks

I'm no rule expert.. but when that happens where I play... the server's team gets the point. If the opposing team calls a serve out then doesn't play the ball... then proceeds to change their call... IMO, it should be your point. Else, what's to prevent a receiving team from calling great serves out then changing the call with the hope of receiving an easier serve or possibly a double fault (as in your case)?

Again, IMO you should have at least received 2 more serves for them breaking your concentration and the flow of the game like that.

However, next time get even... not angry :twisted:

Jonny
07-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks Bud, I agree with you 100%.

I just need to find the official rules now to confirm i'm 100% right for future - If anyone has them on this subject?

raiden031
07-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I think the rule is that if you change your call on a serve from Out to In, it is replayed if you had hit a playable return, whereas if you hit an error, it is your opponent's point.

some6uy008
07-19-2009, 04:54 PM
"12. Out calls corrected. If a player mistakenly calls a ball “out” and then
realizes it was good, the point shall be replayed if the player returned the ball
within the proper court. Nonetheless, if the player’s return of the ball results
in a “weak sitter,” the player should give the opponent the point. If the player
failed to make the return, the opponent wins the point. If the mistake was
made on the second serve, the server is entitled to two serves"

USTA "The Code"

http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/sitecore_usta/USTA/Document%20Assets/2008/05/29/doc_13_22409.pdf

cghipp
07-19-2009, 04:56 PM
In other words, you were wronged. If you opponents had played the ball successfully, you should have gotten a first serve. But since they did not play the ball (I don't think), you should have gotten the point.

beernutz
07-19-2009, 04:58 PM
This is your Friend at Court: http://www.usta.com/GetInvolved/~/media/USTA/Document%20Assets/Get_Involved/officials/2009_Friend_at_Court.ashx

From The Code:
12. Out calls corrected. If a player mistakenly calls a ball “out” and then realizes it was good, the point shall be replayed if the player returned the ball within the proper Court. Nonetheless, if the player’s return of the ball results in a “weak sitter ,” the player should give the opponent the point. If the player failed to make the return, the opponent wins the point. If the mistake was made on the second serve, the server is entitled to two serves.

some6uy008
07-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Just wanted to say I beat Beernutz:)

Jonny
07-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks very much guys! :)

beernutz
07-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Just wanted to say I beat Beernutz:)

I noticed that, by 4 minutes.

You are the king sir and I bow to your dominance in rule retrieval!

Bud
07-19-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm no rule expert.. but when that happens where I play... the server's team gets the point. If the opposing team calls a serve out then doesn't play the ball... then proceeds to change their call... IMO, it should be your point. Else, what's to prevent a receiving team from calling great serves out then changing the call with the hope of receiving an easier serve or possibly a double fault (as in your case)?

Again, IMO you should have at least received 2 more serves for them breaking your concentration and the flow of the game like that.

However, next time get even... not angry :twisted:

"12. Out calls corrected. If a player mistakenly calls a ball “out” and then
realizes it was good, the point shall be replayed if the player returned the ball
within the proper court. Nonetheless, if the player’s return of the ball results
in a “weak sitter,” the player should give the opponent the point. If the player
failed to make the return, the opponent wins the point. If the mistake was
made on the second serve, the server is entitled to two serves"

USTA "The Code"

http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/sitecore_usta/USTA/Document%20Assets/2008/05/29/doc_13_22409.pdf

I've never read the rule book... but this USTA rule seems to mix courtesy with common sense.

Steady Eddy
07-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Seems some people think serving in tennis is like baseball. In baseball a 3-0 count means that the hitter is "ahead" of the pitcher. Then manager might come out to the mound and have a long talk with the pitcher. No way would they ever start over at 0-0. But tennis isn't like that, it's not like a server gets into a 'second serve' situation, and no delays or wrong calls will ever change that. If something causes a delay between first and second serve I like the server to get to start the point over. For one thing, I want to earn my points, I'm not out to collect double faults. I tend to be generous on saying "take two".

Your opponents were wrong on several levels. They didn't return a good serve? That means they lost the point. But they mistakenly thought it was out? That's their problem. But then they really blew it insisting after all those shenanigans, that you had to put in a second serve sans warmup. So they got the double they were looking for? Well good for them. :evil:

some6uy008
07-19-2009, 08:46 PM
I've never read the rule book... but this USTA rule seems to mix courtesy with common sense.

You know the saying, common sense isn't so common anymore :(