PDA

View Full Version : how to handle hard flat balls

chris
07-19-2009, 04:19 PM
i was wondering what you guys do when you are up against someone who hits like this so that you arent late and can still drive the ball back at them

chris
07-19-2009, 04:36 PM
nobody knows

3lowdown
07-19-2009, 05:12 PM
I like to think okay they are giving a hard flat shot, I am going to try and keep the pace on the ball (not faster or slower) by still stepping into the shot but just getting more spin than normal and still keep the rally neutral. This keeps the rally pretty even and allows you to be a little more conservative than they are.

chris
07-19-2009, 07:37 PM
alright thanks anyone else want to share what they do when they face this kind of opponet

Bagumbawalla
07-19-2009, 07:55 PM
The ball is coming faster and staying lower.

You need prepare earlier, get into position, have good timing, bend your knees, maintain the same formyou use for "normal" balls (don't try to force anything, muscle the ball or overhit). Focus on stroking smoothly and cleanly through the ball with enough topspin to control the ball and bring it down into the opposite court (you don't need to over-do it).

Try to hit consistantly and watch the ball intently, just keeping the ball in play-- until you get used to the pace-- then you an start placing the ball just as you would any other shot.

SethIMcClaine
07-19-2009, 09:15 PM
The answer to your question is patience, which you obviously are strugling with.

[Posted 15 mins after first post]
nobody knows

Dont attack the ball as early in the bounce, respond to it until you start to notice how its going to act