PDA

View Full Version : Consistency of my forehand...

Topspin24
07-19-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm having poor consistency with my eastern forehand...any advice on what I can do to keep more balls in play?

firstblud
07-19-2009, 05:52 PM
ball machine?

Topspin24
07-19-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm open to any other threads, videos, and tips.

SethIMcClaine
07-19-2009, 07:51 PM
inconsistancy on depth or left to right?

-make sure your keeping your head still during contact and a second after
-depth can be helped with top spin

Solat
07-19-2009, 08:27 PM
TS24 : you need to give more information as to what the errors are so that we can offer advice

Topspin24
07-19-2009, 10:03 PM
-Ball goes long
-trouble controlling depth
-small range of directional ball control
-weak approach shot(forehand)
Reading this makes me sound terrible but i have a sound backhand, my forehand has only recently become unreliable.

Topspin24
07-19-2009, 10:04 PM
*focused on my forehand*

S H O W S T O P P E R !
07-20-2009, 06:02 AM
If you aren't getting the ball in, add topspin. Employ the wind-shield wiper forehand.

phoenicks
07-20-2009, 06:21 AM
Assuming that you aren't going to change your forehand style ( eastern, SW, western). I'd say have a low to high swingpath while hitting through the ball, to generate more topspin. Topspin enable you to control depth and placement

Blake0
07-20-2009, 06:49 AM
I think he knows what topspin is..referring to his name..:).

You said most of your balls go long. So the question is how can i get more spin using an eastern grip? Easiest way to get more spin is to change grips.

Do you already use a WW forehand?(if not i recommend switching) If you do and you're still not getting enough spin then you got to take a look at your swing path.

Theres 2 ways to get spin with a WW forehand.
Refer to this thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3396319&highlight=Windshield+wiper+forehand#post3396319

10nistennis
07-20-2009, 07:09 AM
A problem may be that you're not hitting the same way over and over again on your forehand, thus the inconsistency.

For a backhand, and I'm guessing you have a 2 hander, their is less room for incorrect movement, which lowers the inconsistency. However, on the forehand, you're only using one arm, which if not done correctly, can lead to improper consistency on the stroke.

A few ways to fix this is to focus on hitting one way. Trying to imitate the pros or someone else who looks like they have "cool" strokes is good, but you can't experiment that much. You have to stick with one form, and make it consistent.

Another way is keeping your head still throughout the whole stroke. This makes your stroke more consistent.

Another problem might be the footwork. Are you getting set up in time? Are you in the correct position to hit a forehand? Footwork may be the problem.

Maybe you don't have the right mechanics.

To hit a correct forehand, you have to:

*use your body and shoulders to rotate into the ball.

* employ some knee bend, to explode into the ball.

* keep steady eye contact with the ball.

*keep a steady arm, and brush through the ball, while employing some drive and plow through. Having a steady arm is key, because you don't want your arm wiggling everywhere which will definitely lead to inconsistency, and just a bad stroke in general.

~Hope this help

Topspin24
07-20-2009, 09:31 AM
I have a one hander btw...-_-'

Topspin24
07-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the tips though, do you know any drills for footwork?

SethIMcClaine
07-21-2009, 06:43 PM
keep your head still during contact and a second after. Try to see the ball hit the strings (even though its pretty much impossible "try")