PDA

View Full Version : How to Wreck a Season in One Set

robby c
07-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Last week at 7.0 MXD "practice." Our team hothead and nonstop motormouth was playing a practice match against one of our other starting teams. He is happy and cheerful when he's winning, but a spoiled kid when he's losing to someone he thinks he should beat. He loves to intimidate opponents by taking floaters up the line at the netman, any netman. This time he went at the lady a couple of times. His partner got mad, and apologized to our teammates. Doofus tries to blow it off, but later he blasts a return of serve at her again. His partner walks off, tells our captain she won't play with him again. She also says she can't go to our final match showdown. We don't have another 3.5 man to pair with her if she cools down. She's one of the best 3.5's at our club. Bigger loss than losing the Jerk.
The big jerk storms out saying he's not playing tennis again, but he's too big an egomaniac to let it go. I know I won't play on a team with him.
He has put our final match in jeopardy, and State success will be an unlikely proposition.
The single biggest downer about league tennis is your season is often held hostage by other players. Junk like this makes me miss Independent teams.
I don't think Solomon or Cindy could resolve this one.
Robby C

Steady Eddy
07-19-2009, 07:13 PM
People are weird. If there's as many wars as there are, people must have a hard time getting along. The probability of not having a nut on a team are too low. These things are going to happen. I hope the fun you get from tennis out weighs these kinds of events.

robby c
07-19-2009, 07:48 PM
You might ask," Why would anyone play with him?"
His wife. She's a nice lady that's been a tennis player long before she married him. He's been coasting on her reputation. He started as a beginner. And he's played Independent alot.
He pulled the same trick a week earlier with me at a practice hit. His regular men's 3.5 partner and himself were signed up for a tournament. They called me and another guy from our men's adult league team. He knows better than to go after my partner. He has a cannon for a forehand, plus I was serving the best I had all summer. We won the 1st set 6-2, and were up a break in the 2nd when he lost it and started whistling returns at me. I simply ducked and laughed at him (" Just back!" as the ball slams the back fence). I generally don't fall for mind games. The 3rd attempt I volleyed it for a winner in front of a growing crowd of folks waiting to start their match. We won 2 and 2. Jerk storms off without speaking.
My partner quietly laughed and said we must not have been good preparation for his tourney.
I didn't get hit. And we won easily, so I chalked it up to poor sportsmanship. Kinda of funny to see someone get so mad over a stupid game, or so I thought at the time.
When I found out he had done the same thing to a women, it wasn't so funny! I knew he had lost his mind. He's going to have to live with this one. I can't imagine a MXD team offering him a spot in the future. I had already made plans to play on a different 7.5 Fall Combo team. He's so desperate to win. He's got his ego completely tied into becoming a good player. He doesn't give anyone else any credit. He doesn't have a clue about the Code or sportsmanship in general.
He may well find that it's tough to play by himself.
Robby C

blakesq
07-20-2009, 01:00 PM
"blasts a return of serve at her"? boo hoo. If she doesn't like hard returns of serves while she is at net, she needs to back the hell up. This is tennis, not ladies bridge. pansies.

Last week at 7.0 MXD "practice." Our team hothead and nonstop motormouth was playing a practice match against one of our other starting teams. He is happy and cheerful when he's winning, but a spoiled kid when he's losing to someone he thinks he should beat. He loves to intimidate opponents by taking floaters up the line at the netman, any netman. This time he went at the lady a couple of times. His partner got mad, and apologized to our teammates. Doofus tries to blow it off, but later he blasts a return of serve at her again. His partner walks off, tells our captain she won't play with him again. She also says she can't go to our final match showdown. We don't have another 3.5 man to pair with her if she cools down. She's one of the best 3.5's at our club. Bigger loss than losing the Jerk.
The big jerk storms out saying he's not playing tennis again, but he's too big an egomaniac to let it go. I know I won't play on a team with him.
He has put our final match in jeopardy, and State success will be an unlikely proposition.
The single biggest downer about league tennis is your season is often held hostage by other players. Junk like this makes me miss Independent teams.
I don't think Solomon or Cindy could resolve this one.
Robby C

Kostas
07-20-2009, 01:10 PM
"blasts a return of serve at her"? boo hoo. If she doesn't like hard returns of serves while she is at net, she needs to back the hell up. This is tennis, not ladies bridges. pansies.

I actually sort of agree with this, but it was a team practice and in my opinion you don't necessarily need to hit laser beams at your female teammates. It's practice...you should be working on something that needs improvement.

robby c
07-23-2009, 07:02 PM
We won after all. Barely, 2-1. My partner and I lost 10-7 in 3rd set Tiebreaker. Our #1 team won 7-5,6-4.
And our clincher was won by a husband-wife team with 3.0 man and 4.0 lady. They beat a 4.0 man and 3.0 lady; also a husband-wife team. 10-8 in 3rd set TB.
You just never know.
Robby C

Xisbum
07-24-2009, 04:12 AM
We won after all. Barely, 2-1. My partner and I lost 10-7 in 3rd set Tiebreaker. Our #1 team won 7-5,6-4.
And our clincher was won by a husband-wife team with 3.0 man and 4.0 lady. They beat a 4.0 man and 3.0 lady; also a husband-wife team. 10-8 in 3rd set TB.
You just never know.
Robby C

Glad things turned out for the best. While going hard at the weaker player is a given in a competitive match, doing it in practice - unless the other person specifically asks for it to work on a weakness - is lame.

Congrats. Hope you continue winning the right way. :)

robby c
07-25-2009, 07:35 PM
He was trying to drill his opponent just because he was losing. Temper tantrum, plain and simple.
We were talking to his wife. She supported his taking a break, but she was already going to miss their whole family going to the club on tennis nights.
Her son played well with my two boys. So you can see why his childish antics were tolerated for too long.
Robby C

topher.juan
07-25-2009, 10:31 PM
"blasts a return of serve at her"? boo hoo. If she doesn't like hard returns of serves while she is at net, she needs to back the hell up. This is tennis, not ladies bridge. pansies.
+1... what did you expect? Is he only to practice hitting the ball hard in actual matches? Of course not, and of course you attack your opponents weakness, if that's blasting a shot at her, that's what it is, take the free points; she should recognize her weaknesses and expect such a shot on a weak serve; she apparently needs to work on such shots and should be thankful for the practice.. or do you only practice receiving such shots "in match"? If anything you should be upset at the server for giving a shot that he allowed to be so attacked, there's your problem. I find it bizarre that his partner walks off, she should be thankful for him attacking, does she not play to win, or was this a game of doubles pickleball??

Cindysphinx
07-26-2009, 05:38 AM
+1... what did you expect? Is he only to practice hitting the ball hard in actual matches? Of course not, and of course you attack your opponents weakness, if that's blasting a shot at her, that's what it is, take the free points; she should recognize her weaknesses and expect such a shot on a weak serve; she apparently needs to work on such shots and should be thankful for the practice.. or do you only practice receiving such shots "in match"? If anything you should be upset at the server for giving a shot that he allowed to be so attacked, there's your problem. I find it bizarre that his partner walks off, she should be thankful for him attacking, does she not play to win, or was this a game of doubles pickleball??

+2.

What the heck? I have never, ever, *EVER* become upset because a dude hit at me at net in mixed. Practice or not practice.

Guys "test" me all the time in mixed. I don't have a problem with it. I didn't like it much when a 4.0 guy hit two overheads at my chest in a league match when he had lots of other options. One grazed me, one I dodged. Storm off the court and refuse to play? Not on your life.

I just wish I could get my male partners to "test" the opposing woman in mixed. I have had matches where I *know* the other woman has no volley based on previous match experience with her, and still I cannot get my male opponents to hit at her or even try to pass her in mixed.

robby c
07-26-2009, 10:24 AM
His opponent did duck and avoid the point blank forehands.
It was his partner who left after she had told him to knock it off. She felt he was being reckless in a team practice. And she was mad that he had ignored her wishes as his partner.
It's a shame too, they were undefeated at 7.0 MXD in two seasons.
Robby C