PDA

View Full Version : spin potential with lead tape

chris
07-19-2009, 08:31 PM
is there a place where you should put lead tape if you want increased spin

counterpuncher
07-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Can't remember the post exactly but it suggested adding lead tape to very near the butt cap. I tried it myself and does tend to work, as the balance of the racquet becomes more headlight making it easier to swing from low to high, with a minimal increase in swing weight. What I didn't like about it, was that it moved the sweetspot lower on the string bed.

klementine79
07-20-2009, 03:38 PM
It depends.... what shot you would like more spin with?

From my experience... with my MGPrestigeMids..

Step #1- removed synthetic grip and grip pallet..

Step#2- added 5grams of lead tape within the last 3-4inches of the shaft, epoxied the handle pallet back and wrapped with a leather grip and 1overgrip.

Step#3- 7grams total at 3and 9..under the bumper, 3.5grams at 3 and 3.5 grams at 9.

The total end specs are in my signature..

OBSERVATIONS- I tried many lead set-ups. With my current set-up, it is more stable and a noticeablely more spin friendly on groundstrokes and backhand slice, although not for serves. I noticed that for serves, the weight is much better utilized at 12 o'clock, kick serves are easier to produce and flat serves are more natural, but on groundstrokes, the ball seems to sail on you, as well as with backhand slices.

NOTE: It depends what aspect of your game you would like to enhance... it is always a compromise... I tend to work harder for the spin on my serve.. but as 95% of the game is played and determined on groundstrokes, I chose my current set-up.

Good night and good luck....

tennisgrl4
07-23-2009, 03:33 PM
If you are looking for more spin there is a new racket that is launching in August. The company is called Vortex. THis racket is supposed to create more spin than any other racket out there...

120mphBodyServe
07-23-2009, 03:57 PM
If you are looking for more spin there is a new racket that is launching in August. The company is called Vortex. THis racket is supposed to create more spin than any other racket out there...

Why don't you make your own thread instead of spamming in a heap of threads???

drgreenthumb
07-23-2009, 06:22 PM
i placed about 9grams total on 10 and 2oclock of the head+2.5grams on the butt to balance. i noticed my shots are not only deeper but less effort when my APD was full stock (very head light). i also got an extra 2-3ft of ball thrust. my serves are also more powerful on flats and more bite on the topspin/slice serves.