PDA

View Full Version : Racquet for Wife (little experience)

cadfael_tex
07-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Thinking about getting a new racquet for my wife. She has little tennis experience (took a course in college I think). Last time we tried she hit with an old racquet I had (graphite edge). Along the way I picked up an old Pro Staff 6.0 110 (the wide body kind).

I'm thinking some of these modern half ounce thunderstick 'game improvement' racquets might make it more fun for her. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this but it also doesn't have to be this years model.

So first question, is my premise even sound? Second, if it is,what would be a good choice?

First go round of looking drew me to the Head TI S.5 on clearance.

plowmanjoe
07-20-2009, 07:20 AM
ti s5 sounds like a great start. ti s6 was extremely popular for that level when it came out. i would definitely look at racquets like these that are cheap.

older tweener type racquets don't go for very much so you shouldn't have a problem fining some easily.

tennisnj
07-20-2009, 10:57 AM
How about something like the Volkl DNX 6 Attiva (older model) which has been discontinued, so the price has dropped while a new paintjob has been released? My fiancee has been using it for a little over 2 years now, & even though she is a beginner, it's a light, very maneuverable racquet---but not a hand cannon like most game improvement sticks. It's 27 inches long & 100 square inches head size.

To me the Head TI S.5 leans towards 'hand cannon/game improvement stick.' Other sticks I'd recommend for her are the Prince TT Bandit, Scream & Thundercloud. Those are racquets good enough for beginners & able to be easily modified for more advanced players. You want the racquet to do some of the work for you, but you'd also like your wife to hit the ball properly. The TI S.5 isn't awful persay, I just think there are more solid sticks out there for her to try.