PDA

View Full Version : Help Replacing My Liquidmetal Radical

vkmd90
07-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Hi! I'm a 4.0-4.5 player thinking of playing at the Club level in College, who needs to replace his Head Liquidmetal Radical OS after years of faithful service in High School matches. I'm an aggressive baseliner and hard hitter, with a 2 handed backhand.

I've enjoyed the control of the LM radical, but am perhaps looking for something with more power and less weight.

I'm considering:

Head Microgel Raptor MP
Head Microgel Mojo
Head Microgel Extreme Pro (the 09 I believe).
Head Flexpoint Radical MP

I was attracted to the first two because of their low weights and swingweights, and to the Raptor specifically, because of the power it offers, but I've read recently that this could lead to some arm problems if the balance isn't head light? I've also read that the Extreme Pro is too stiff? I've never had any arm problems with the Radical, and just want to improve my game with an updated racquet.

Any suggestions for racquets meeting my specifications and around $100 would be much appreciated (I've found a number of Dunlops under $100, but am worried they supply too little power)

javierjavier
07-20-2009, 08:41 AM
i think you should first try experimenting with strings and tension to try and find the additional power. i always felt the lm radical produced ample power. in my experience the most powerful of the radical series though my experience is limited to the mp versions.

from your list, i've hit with the microgel extreme and that racket will definitely give you a boost in power. i just felt it lacked the level of control and precision i desired, but it was really enjoyable to bomb away from the baseline with either flat forehand drives or deep penetrating topspin shots. i think it'd be a good first demo on your list.

NovakWannabe
07-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Demo the YouTEK Radical OS just to be sure you don't want to switch racquet models just yet. Yes, the first two you mentioned have low weights and swingweights but they still may be too powerful for you. I'd also recommend trying out the Dunlop Aerogel 500 Tour - it's a Pure Drive without the cortex and more power. Lastly, try the Prestige MP. I know someone who went from a similarly powered racquet as the LM Radical (he used the Aero Storm) to the Prestige. Try that out as well.

FedererForehand
07-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Demo the YouTEK Radical OS just to be sure you don't want to switch racquet models just yet. Yes, the first two you mentioned have low weights and swingweights but they still may be too powerful for you. I'd also recommend trying out the Dunlop Aerogel 500 Tour - it's a Pure Drive without the cortex and more power. Lastly, try the Prestige MP. I know someone who went from a similarly powered racquet as the LM Radical (he used the Aero Storm) to the Prestige. Try that out as well.

Apparently you missed the part about where he said he wanted to keep it around $100.

vkmd90
07-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks a lot for the help so far guys. Yeah, the $100 price level is key. The racquets I listed above I can all get for under $100, so that's a big reason why I'm considering them.

Will I sacrifice a lot of control if I go with the Extreme Pro or something like the Dunlop Aerogel Tour?, cause that's what it sounds like.

furyoku_tennis
07-20-2009, 11:16 AM
the extreme pro offers a good amount of control. there's a nice balance of control and power, but IMO its a bit string sensitive. on your list, the extreme pro is one of the better choices as it offers you plenty of room for development.

dragon_art
07-20-2009, 11:28 AM

This is exactly what I did. I'm still a high school player who switched from a LM Radical OS to a Dunlop AG500 Tour. ($80 bucks on TW) I demoed the Extreme Pro which has slightly less power than the Radical. (didn't like)
The Dunlop AG500 Tour has great stability, good power, and it's sweetspot is big. (it feels like a giant controllable club to me)

furyoku_tennis
07-20-2009, 11:41 AM
you might as well just demo all four of them and find out for yourself. TW lets you demo up to four racquets at a time.

vkmd90
07-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the advice, Furyoku and Dragon Art. I'm now deciding between the Extreme Pro and the Aerogel 500..probably will have to demo in order to make the decision. Is there any other advice I should have to help me choose?

furyoku_tennis
07-20-2009, 02:00 PM
make sure you take into account the strings that are on the demo. sometimes a racquet can give you a different feel because of the strings. some racquets are quite strings sensitive, so just remember to take string type and tension into account when demoing.