PDA

View Full Version : Weight For A Teenager?

tennis_ally2009
07-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi, i'm 13, and i have a pure storm tour and aero storm. However, my coach says that 320 grams is too heavy for a 13 year old. Is it? or is 300 grams more sensible?
Thanks

furyoku_tennis
07-20-2009, 11:36 AM
as long as you're comfortable using it, then there's no problem. you should use the heaviest racquet that you can handle. if you can handle 320 grams, then by all means, use it.

tennis_ally2009
07-20-2009, 11:47 AM
as long as you're comfortable using it, then there's no problem. you should use the heaviest racquet that you can handle. if you can handle 320 grams, then by all means, use it.

Okay, but i play better with my aerostorm, which is 300 grams. as i can handle 320 grams, becuase i used my pure storm for around 6 months, should i put lead tape on it?
thanks

furyoku_tennis
07-20-2009, 02:01 PM
well, if you're playing better with the 300 gram aerostorm, then stick with it. if you're comfortable with a racquet and can swing it without problem, that's good enough. there are a lot of people who prefer a much lighter racquet than they can handle, while there are also others who like to swing the heaviest racquet they can handle. both are acceptable as long as you're comfortable and it isn't causing you any pain.

naylor
07-20-2009, 04:46 PM
My son will be 12 in 2 months and is playing with an AG300 (310g). Previously, he used an RDS002 (same weight) and before that a k6.1 Team (same weight).

I don't really think it's the weight per se - the three rackets above were the same weight. What made the difference was the combination of balance and swingweight. The k6.1 Team was even balance and 325 sw, and at just 11 my son found it difficult to get that frame swinging quickly enough (particularly on forehands, he plays DHBH and the extra hand helps on that wing). The RDS002 was 6 pts. headlight and 308 sw, and much easier to swing. Now, the AG300 is 4 pts. headlight and 316 sw., and he can handle that well - and he can put a bit more weight of shot on groundies with that than with the RDS002.

I'd tend to agree with those that say you should play with the heaviest frame you can handle, because you learn to use the mass of the racket to provide the "weight" of the shot, rather than rely mostly on rackethead speed - broadly, it allows you to develop and play around with rackethead speed, to add more "weight" on flat hits, or more spin on a more WW swing, so helps you develop more variety and options in your swing. But the key is that you have to be able to handle it, and handle it well for the kind of game you normally play.

Obviously, juniors grow fast and can handle heavier rackets quickly - and changing models is expensive. To allow for this growth, I'd suggest choosing a customisable model, namely, a frame that you can progressively add weight to, without distorting its overall feel and playing characteristics. For this purpose, as you add lead you obviously add weight (which makes the rackethead more stable on contact), but you also increase the swingweight (which reduces the "moveability" of the frame), and you tend to alter the balance to make it slightly less head-light. This is where rackets such as the AG300 (and the RDS200) are "good junior rackets", because they're very customisable.

Zielmann
07-20-2009, 04:55 PM
When I was about your age, I got my first full-sized frame. The weight of that one is similar to what you're using, if not heavier.

I wouldn't say I really had any real problems using it, I made it work. But I do feel like I might have been able to progress a little faster if I weren't having to get used to the heavy weight at the same time as trying to improve my form. Mostly, I feel like there were a few issues with my form that came up a couple years later that were associated with having used such a heavy frame so early. By the way, I wasn't a big kid. I'm still really lanky. 5'11", 130 lbs. So it's not like I was some herculean kid who was out there using a really heavy frame.

So that's just my story relating to this whole thing. Like others have said, if you can play better with one racquet over the other, then by all means use that frame. You might want to keep the heavier one though, so you can use it when you've progressed enough to want/need the extra weight.

freedbeing
07-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Stick with lighter frames. I used to have the pure storm tour when I was 14 but it started giving me joint pain. You can keep it for when you have progressed and can handle the weight. btw the pure storm tour is for advanced players, not saying that you're not, who can supply more power than a 13 year old boy can without doing any harm to themselves. stick with lighter frames

Team_Volkl
07-20-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but weight isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Balance, swingweight, comfort, how stiff or not stiff the racquet is, strings, string tension, and more importantly--you the player are much more important things to consider than the weight of your racquet.

A racquet that's too heavy can lead to joint pain, tiring of arm therefore not being able to play as long as you normally would, slower swings, not being able to whip the racquet.

A racquet that's too light can make you rely more on swing speed than form, which is why you should get a low powered control racquet, less stability on hard hit returns.

And of course who's to say that a heavy racquet swung slower than a lighter racquet swung faster is any different? I know for a fact you can hit a very heavy ball with a light racquet, same of course for a heavy racquet. There are just so many other things that go into it.

I'm an adult and I use and prefer a lighter racquet.

My racquet is 10.9oz strung, so about 11oz even. And yes, I've played with 12oz frames, but I just plain prefer a lighter racquet.

This is just my thought, but as long as your racquet is about 11oz strung or higher that the importance of weight starts to lose its traction.

Now yes, a 10oz vs a 12oz racquet, that's WILL make a difference. But an 11oz and a 12oz difference, not so much.

Lesson here is play with what you like and what works best for you--do not base anything on what any else likes or suggests or says that you need to do. I went down that route for a bit and I was unhappy.

I couldn't be more satisfied with the setup that I have now. It just plain suits me and works for me.

louis netman
07-20-2009, 07:30 PM
agree about using heaviest you can handle while playing someone equal or better than you for as long as your sessions last. Some of us here used 13-14 oz frames when we were ten years old. I'm sure you can handle the weight. You'll thank me later...

Team_Volkl
07-20-2009, 07:31 PM
One more thing. It is perfectly fine if you add lead tape or do end up choosing a heavier racquet.

The thing to think about is WHAT DO YOU FEEL that needs to be changed? Do you actually feel that you need more weight on your racquet? Is it becoming an issue for your game and the way you play? Do you think it will do something to improve your game?

Or is it just something you think you should do?

What I'm trying to say is, only make changes when a change is necessary. Don't just make a change for the sake of making a change and then revolving your style of play around that.

120mphBodyServe
07-20-2009, 08:44 PM
12ounce racquet for a 13yr old shouldn't be too heavy at all...
What your coach is saying is pure garbage...
Use the heaviest racquet you can swing...

Danstevens
07-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Just to re-iterate what everyone else has said, if you're OK with the racquet you're using and you don't feel it compromises your game in any way, there's no reason to switch no matter who tells you to.

I have friends about your age that play with racquets around that weight if not a little bit heavier - they don't have any problems. Likewise, I have friends your age that play with much lighter racquets. Really, I think it comes down to ability and if you can handle the weight or not.

jazar
07-20-2009, 10:33 PM
i started using a prestige when i was like 13 and i still use it now

smO
07-21-2009, 12:54 AM
12ounce racquet for a 13yr old shouldn't be too heavy at all...
What your coach is saying is pure garbage...
Use the heaviest racquet you can swing...

+1 10 characters

tennis_ally2009
07-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks guys.
The only reason i wanted to put lead tape on my aerostorm (300 grams) i because i have more power in the Pure storm tour which may be because of the weight difference, or the racket itself?
Thanks