PDA

View Full Version : ping pong for learning tennis

bjk
07-20-2009, 09:59 AM
I recently played a guy who had learned tennis as an adult. He was pretty good for picking it up so late, and his backhand was very nice, forehand wasn't as good. He said his backhand was from playing ping pong, which made sense. I've also read that Paul Goldstein grew up playing ping-pong and Sam Querrey is also a big ping pong player.

So is ping pong the best way to learn tennis, for a kid?

LeeD
07-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Table tennis is OK, as is air hockey, racket-squash-badminton,dodgeball, baseball, soccer, basketball, JaiLai, cricket, football, any sports were you track a ball and use your footwork, handeye, aerobics, speed, and muscles.
The more and more often, the better.
Pingpong players generally have consistent, weak backhands, and erratic forehands, until they play 3 years of tennis to straighten out the flaws.
Conti forehands for the '70's, not working anymore with the higher bouncing SW and W grips.
Any sport is better than sitting around watching TV and playing vid games.

Blake0
07-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Ping pong is not necassarily the best way to learn tennis. It just has similar hand eye coordination movement going on. So if you played ping pong and learned tennis later, then you'd find it easier to learn how to play tennis. (Basically you'd improve faster, in the beginning when learning how to play, than people who aren't used to the hand eye coordination involved with tennis)

You may also incooporate some of the ping pong shots into your tennis game which can either help or destroy your tennis, depending on what it is.

MesQueUnClub
07-20-2009, 10:25 AM
I used to play a lot of table tennis before I leaned to play tennis much later as an adult.

Things it helps with:
1) Backhand slice and drop shots and other touch shots.
2) Keeping your eyes on the ball.
3) Anticipating where the ball will come back to.

Things that might not be good:
1) It makes you use a lot of wrist in strokes.
2) Hitting through the ball.

EDIT : Cricket like LeeD said helps you track the ball but will make your footwork horrible. Especially if you are a backfoot player, then shifting your body weight foreward is going to be a hard thing to learn.

Topspin24
07-20-2009, 10:25 AM
I find that all tennis players are very good at ping pong.

Bungalo Bill
07-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I recently played a guy who had learned tennis as an adult. He was pretty good for picking it up so late, and his backhand was very nice, forehand wasn't as good. He said his backhand was from playing ping pong, which made sense. I've also read that Paul Goldstein grew up playing ping-pong and Sam Querrey is also a big ping pong player.

So is ping pong the best way to learn tennis, for a kid?

The best way to learn tennis is by playing tennis and incorporating practices that help you improve your skills in all areas of tennis like footwork, balance, hitting, etc...

phoenicks
07-20-2009, 06:57 PM
I suck at Ping Pong before I played tennis, And I'm doing fine, I join most of the coaching classes in school, did a lot of drills. Table tennis helps with hand eye coordination part of tennis, but it's not really necessary.

Topspin24
07-20-2009, 08:16 PM
But it's so fun

plasma
07-20-2009, 09:24 PM
i use sampras strokes every few years when I happen upon a ping pong table, it looks really funny. As a coach... for total beginners, I find the hardest concept to relate it racquet perpedicular to the ground. Ping pong helps one understand spin, an important facet of tennis