PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where this goes but where do you find compatible tennis players

2ndServe
07-20-2009, 03:12 PM
I thought the forum would have one but I can't see a category for it. I used to play in the juniors and I'm about a 5.0 now b but I can hit with any of my old junior buddies when they are in town for futures or tournaments and can give an open player a decent match. I just get winded after a less than a set. I'm in Orange County, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo area.

NLBwell
07-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Well, as far as instruction tips, I'd just say get in better shape.

volusiano
07-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Beside your local clubs and USTA leagues, there are some online websites where people can try to look for tennis partners, such as Tennisopolis or Meetup . com. There maybe others as well. The Meetup site works well for me. If there's no Meetup group in your area yet, maybe you can start one.

fuzz nation
07-21-2009, 10:03 AM
It usually takes a bunch of networking, at least for me. I talk to people I bump into at the courts sometimes or ask my pals to pass my number along if they know someone who needs a hitting partner.

You can also track down nearby coaches of high school or college teams to see if they can get you in touch with players in their circles. Teaching pros in your region ought to be in the know concerning available players, too.

Mongolmike
07-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Try Gamesnake.com

Its a national site that started up a few years ago that allow the average recreational player to join or start recreational matches for tennis, soccer, ultimate frisbee, football, biking etc. Free site, no marketing ploys. I know the creators of the site, and they are slowing making inroads with business to help attract new clients for that given business... but for now, its a way for average Joe players to connect and have fun.

dennis10is
07-21-2009, 08:20 PM
I don't know how old you are so... for OC

High school: University High in Irvine or Corona Del Mar High. Both have historically top notch high school team.

University: U C Irvine

Does Orange Coast College still have men's tennis (I assume you are male)

Have you tried Heritage Park in Irvine or Mile Square Park?

If I were you, I would suggest you check out Los Cab.

http://www.loscab.com/tennis.html

Even if you can't afford the membership. If you drop by and tell and show them your skills, I'm pretty sure people there will clue you in on the local scene.

If I was still living in OC, this would be the club that I would belong to.

If you can find out where the men's 5.0 league team matches are going on, you can drop by and see if you can't meet some of the players.

mikeler
07-22-2009, 06:12 AM
I thought the forum would have one but I can't see a category for it. I used to play in the juniors and I'm about a 5.0 now b but I can hit with any of my old junior buddies when they are in town for futures or tournaments and can give an open player a decent match. I just get winded after a less than a set. I'm in Orange County, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo area.

You live in a hotbed of tennis activity. Start playing USTA leagues, local leagues and club leagues. You'll meet a bunch of people that way.

Ripper014
11-21-2009, 04:13 PM
I think you just have to realize that the higher your level of play the fewer people there are to play with, it is just the way it is. Like many have said you are going to have to expand the circle of whom you play with.

Players at the 4.5 level all know players better than them... it might be a good place to start, and it still allows you opportunity to play some decent tennis.

LeeD
11-22-2009, 11:11 AM
First of all, you gotta spend some time on the T courts.
You gotta visit several dozens to find your level.
You gotta be humble, supply balls, and look like a tennis player when you're a newcomer.
You gotta go to tournaments and watch or play.
THEN you will meet players below and above your levels.