PDA

View Full Version : Feet side by side or stanced apart for power serve?

akthe47
07-20-2009, 09:05 PM
I have looked at Roddick's first serve and saw several instructional videos on the web. It seems that even Roddick at times will start with a separated foot stance, then move his feet together before 'jumping up' to hit a flat power serve.

But then I've also seen other videos of Roddick where his feet are apart and he enter trophy stance, then launches from there with his feet apart rather than side by side.

Is one better than the other? Is it just a matter of preference or are there particular uses to have one form over another? Perhaps I am missing something else as to why there's two versions of the pre-jump of a power serve (or the trophy stance, but not always looking like one).

Thank you.

And btw, I personally have found that going from feet apart to moving them together before 'jumping' gives me better % of getting in along with more power (but I'm not sure if that's because I just have bad form when doing the other version of the trophy stance).

SystemicAnomaly
07-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Feet apart is known as the platform stance while feet together is known as a pinpoint stance. You are correct that Roddick has some variation. Sometimes he moves his front foot back to narrow his stance, other times he uses some other variation judging from the video I've seem. For the most part, Andy employs a wide pinpoint (or a very narrow platform).

Try a Search in this forum on platform and pinpoint stances for more info.

pvaudio
07-20-2009, 09:27 PM
It depends on the person. Sampras used a platform. Ivanisevic used a pinpoint.

pvaudio
07-20-2009, 09:34 PM
And frankly, Roddick can't compare to either Sampras or Goran's serves. Roddick has the pace, but Sampras could hit 130 down the T on the deuce side with topspin half on the line, half in the ad service box any time he wanted. Roddick can just get in the general area of serving out wide or serving down the T. Goran's angles are only matched and surpassed by his countryman, Karlovic.

SystemicAnomaly
07-21-2009, 01:13 AM
^ On the other hand, it took Federer, who "reads" Roddick's serve better than anyone else more than 4.25 hrs to finally break Andy's serve at Wimbledon this year. Andy's serving stats hold up very well compared to Ivo Karlovic's stats (who is 8 or 9 inches taller).

Note that pinpoint is often favored by the tallest servers while platform is employed by shorter servers. However, many platform servers, such as Pete Sampras & Boris Becker, have been over 6 feet tall. akthe47, to find the answere to your questions, refer to these 2 previous threads:

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3297619 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3297619)

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=230388 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=230388)

akthe47
07-21-2009, 06:21 AM
Thank you very much. You guys are very knowledgeable about this stuff. I didn't even know there were names for these stances! Awesome stuff.

pvaudio
07-21-2009, 06:39 AM
^ On the other hand, it took Federer, who "reads" Roddick's serve better than anyone else more than 4.25 hrs to finally break Andy's serve at Wimbledon this year. Andy's serving stats hold up very well compared to Ivo Karlovic's stats (who is 8 or 9 inches taller).

Note that pinpoint is often favored by the tallest servers while platform is employed by shorter servers. However, many platform servers, such as Pete Sampras & Boris Becker, have been over 6 feet tall. akthe47, to find the answere to your questions, refer to these 2 previous threads:

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3297619 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3297619)

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=230388 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=230388)

That's well and good, but then consider Federer trying to break Sampras's serve on grass ;)

SystemicAnomaly
07-21-2009, 08:10 AM
^No argument there. Sampras was one of the greatest servers ever.

tennisdad65
07-21-2009, 08:24 AM
That's well and good, but then consider Federer trying to break Sampras's serve on grass ;)

I think he did so atleast twice in their 2001 wimbledon meeting ;)

LeeD
07-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Don't really wanna argue here, but .....
Tall servers use mainly PLATFORM !! From Celic to Amaya, Karlovic to Ivanesivic, Smith to Stich, those 6'4" + guys need control to harness their abundant power.
OTOH, little short guys are usually more athletic, and need more power and angle, jump and lean-in, so they employ pinpoint, to give a more dynamic motion into their weaker serves.
If you pinpoint a big tall server, he'd wildly smack the ball all over the court.
If you platform a shorty, he'd hit puffballs that get returned faster than his serve.

larry10s
07-21-2009, 08:45 AM
agassi was 5' 11". not really tall and had a pretty good serve with a platform stance. not all short guys hit "puffy" serves .imho

LeeD
07-21-2009, 08:50 AM
I'd like to think a person of 5'11" is more a MEDIUM height, like average height, and therefore can employ either motion, platform or pinpoint.
The short guys, like Dibbs, Solomon, Barresetichi, sometimes use platform because they concede their weak serve, and serve to start a point, not try to win or force an error.
Baseliners also tend to start the point with their serve, not try to win or force errors.
So different strokes for dif.......

WildVolley
07-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Tall servers use mainly PLATFORM !! From Celic to Amaya, Karlovic to Ivanesivic, Smith to Stich, those 6'4" + guys need control to harness their abundant power.
OTOH, little short guys are usually more athletic, and need more power and angle, jump and lean-in, so they employ pinpoint, to give a more dynamic motion into their weaker serves.
If you pinpoint a big tall server, he'd wildly smack the ball all over the court.
If you platform a shorty, he'd hit puffballs that get returned faster than his serve.

Whoa LeeD. Seems you missed your coffee this morning. Both Karlovic (6'10") and Ivanisevic (6'4") use the pinpoint stance, so I think that throws a monkey wrench in your theory. Though, depending on how your feet are positioned, it might be easier to jump out and into the court with a different stance.

Roddick is interesting in that he uses something almost between the pinpoint and the platform. He actually steps back slightly with this front foot. Something, I'd like to suggest for all the footfaulters out there.

LeeD
07-21-2009, 08:59 AM
..er...
Lefty Ivanesivic kept his feet about 20" apart in a platform stance.
Some vids here on this forum of tall Croat also keeping steady feet all thru his service motion.
I think Rusedski used pinpoint. He is also sorta tall, at 6'4" or so. Dibley used both, pinpoint for first serves, but platform for pressure second serves.
I'm pretty sure the top players can be shown with several different motions, as they are all constantly trying to refine their service motions for more power, more consistency, and easier on the body all thru their whole careers.

Djokovicfan4life
07-21-2009, 09:23 AM

Karlovic uses platform?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmmSMJhIUqU&feature=related

That's interesting.

Let's take a look at Stich, shall we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDG1XPeNqQk&feature=related (0:53).

Swing and a miss.

And finally, Ivanisevic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-uBYbcINJQ&feature=related

Strike three.

You do know what platform/pinpoint serves are, right?

pvaudio
07-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I was about to say, for once, LeeD is completely wrong.

LeeD
07-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Yeah, you're right.
Karlovic pinpoint.
Stich tougher, as his right leg swings into the court. Pinpoint usually right leg stays behind left for righties.

pvaudio
07-21-2009, 12:01 PM
I think he did so atleast twice in their 2001 wimbledon meeting ;)Touche :lol::oops: