PDA

View Full Version : Serving and shoulder blade soreness, please help!

mlp
07-21-2009, 05:23 AM
I am trying to learn how to serve, but it seems that when I attempt to serve I can feel that I am pulling on the muscles around my right shoulder blade (my playing arm is right). It can get slightly sore after awhile. Also the ball sails long and too far left most of the time.

I am trying to follow the instructions of FYB, but have difficulty with basically most of the serving motion i.e. transfering my weight onto the balls of both feet and doing the knee bend, doing the racquet drop right after getting into the trophy pose and at the same time pushing off the ground and swinging forward to hit the ball. It just feels awkward to me. And I know you are supposed to land on your left foot, but I tend to 'want' to land on my right? When I force myself to land on my left foot my right seems to swing outwards to the side instead of just moving forwards.

What am I doing wrong? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

pvaudio
07-21-2009, 05:37 AM
When you do an across the body shoulder stretch, does that same muscle get stretched? It feels like it's right on the other side of the shoulder blade, no? That, my friend, is your rotator cuff, specifically the infraspinatus muscle of it. You need to stop teaching yourself and find a coach or at the very least someone who knows what they're doing and can help you. You do NOT want any pain in that area.

[ GTR ]
07-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Maybe you also want to try learning one step at a time from FYB instead of applying it all at once, it could confuse you..

Maybe you're also not warming up your rotator cuff/shoulder and actually serving too many balls in one session..