PDA

View Full Version : how to handle heavy balls with a lot of pace

smack that
07-22-2009, 03:14 PM
a friend of mine who plays for college hits with massive pace and produces a heavy ball

when i try to return his shot i have a hard time returning it, only being about to generate moderate pace to hit

any advice to handle his heavy pace

also how could i generate heavy pace for myself?

Claudius
07-22-2009, 03:28 PM
You need to prep early and seriously accelerate the racquet head. You should implement the ww technique but also follow through enough.

Just remember to use your legs and torso and generate a lot of head speed. You should be swinging as fast as you could.

Do all these, and you should get a "heavier" ball.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
07-22-2009, 03:29 PM
to generate a heavy ball, you need a heavier racket. Light racket will twist and bend when hitting against a really heavy ball.
If you have to, shorten your take back, or try to slice it back

smack that
07-22-2009, 03:42 PM
how would i no if i generated a heavy ball

Claudius
07-22-2009, 03:47 PM
how would i no if i generated a heavy ball

You can kind of feel it/see it....you'll know.

Nonentity
07-22-2009, 03:50 PM
early prep, solid contact, and timing. Timing is probably the biggest cause of errors when dealing with heavy pace.

smack that
07-22-2009, 03:53 PM
You can kind of feel it/see it....you'll know.

what if its not heavy but just fast

would i have to hit through more?

Claudius
07-22-2009, 04:51 PM
what if its not heavy but just fast

would i have to hit through more?

If it is "just" fast, it means your shot is very flat. You'd have to hit with more spin. Hit up.

naylor
07-22-2009, 04:58 PM
early prep, solid contact, and timing. Timing is probably the biggest cause of errors when dealing with heavy pace.

When I think of playing against someone that hits a heavy ball, I think of Agassi's return of serve. Take the ball early on the rise (so, early preparation, footwork in place), then punch through the ball (short backswing, hit through the ball, move your weight into the shot).

The timing will come, as a result of the combination of early preparation and short backswing - the simpler and shorter you make whatever you do in your normal swing before contact, the more you eliminate things that will throw your timing out. However, as you shorten the backswing, you will not generate as much rackethead speed as you do when you perform your normal backswing loop. To make up for that, it will be hitting through the ball and moving your weight into the shot that will add "weight" into the shot, producing the "heavy" ball you can play to return an incoming heavy ball - not so much rackethead speed, but more "mass" into the ball.

The above method also works well when you want to make your ball heavier - don't rely so much on doing so through rackethead speed created by a long swing, but start by making your swing simpler, getting the footwork and timing right and then punching right through. Once you do those basics right, then you can try to crank it up more by adding swing speed.

Claudius
07-22-2009, 05:09 PM
I actually don't know exactly how a ball becomes "heavy". I once played a top 20 junior (yes top 20) and of course his shots felt "heavy", but the weird thing is even when he got into a defensive position( happened twice) and had to barely lob it over, even those balls felt like a bowling ball to me. It makes me wonder whether heaviness is created solely by pace and spin or whether there is some underlying third factor.

ms87
07-22-2009, 05:42 PM
This topic is a little silly. It's like saying "my friend is a 260lb linebacker for a college football team and tackles me all the time when we play football. How can I stop him, and tackle him back?"

The truth is, you can't because he is a better player.

Claudius
07-22-2009, 05:46 PM
This topic is a little silly. It's like saying "my friend is a 260lb linebacker for a college football team and tackles me all the time when we play football. How can I stop him, and tackle him back?"

The truth is, you can't because he is a better player.

Wow....one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on here. This is tennis, not football.

If you don't have anything decent to say, don't say anything!

smack that
07-22-2009, 06:25 PM
does a heavy ball look fast like flat ball would

ms87
07-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Wow....one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on here. This is tennis, not football.

If you don't have anything decent to say, don't say anything!

your inability to understand my analogy makes YOU look stupid, not me.

drgreenthumb
07-22-2009, 07:14 PM
the chicken would react with a "bok, bok, bok bokoooooooook!!!" and would get the hell out

Claudius
07-22-2009, 07:36 PM
your inability to understand my analogy makes YOU look stupid, not me.

You're comparing receiving a heavy ball to being tackled by a linebacker. In tennis, there is a way to counter a heavy ball...smart one.

WildVolley
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM
I find it is mostly a timing issue. I always define a heavy ball as one that has more topspin than you expect, so it will not slow down as much as you expect when it comes off the court.

If you can set up early and not use as big of a takeback, while keeping yourself loose to react quickly, I believe you can learn to still take these balls in front of you and come over the top of the majority of them.

Mick
07-22-2009, 07:54 PM
to me, the only way to play guys who would hit really heavy balls with a lot of pace is to come to the net. if you stay on the baseline and rally with him, sooner or later, he is going to put the ball away.

Blake0
07-22-2009, 08:19 PM
When someone hits a heavy ball you hear a plow through sort of noise.

Heavy balls are hit by hitting low to high and through the ball at high racket head speed. The faster the racket head speed, heavier the ball becomes. You have to make sure you use your whole body (legs, hips, shoulders, core, arm, wrist) properly, and timing is critical. Ofcourse good technique is a must, and usually most people i see hitting heavy have a WW forehand...but isn't needed. (Just saying it might be easier with a WW).

What you can do against a heavy ball for now is make sure your timing is good first of all. If its not, make sure you make your backswing smaller or no backswing at all and swing. It's all a matter of getting used to the heavier ball and feeling. Also make sure you're balanced and hit the ball in your power zone, or as close to it as possible. Because your opponent is providing all the pace you only need a small backswing and make sure you're hitting through the ball and deep.

But if your timing isn't being affected, by all means don't shorten up your stroke when you dont have too.

Jay_The_Nomad
07-23-2009, 03:30 AM
Time it well. Don't hit it late when the ball is almost parallel to your body.

If you are making contact with the ball when your racquet face is almost in line with your body, the incoming ball is gonna feel like a truck.

Hit the ball when it is further in front of you. time it correctly and the ball will fly.

The problem with this is that such hitters really pin you behind baseline & make it difficult for you to avoid hitting late.

Ross K
07-23-2009, 03:38 AM
a friend of mine who plays for college hits with massive pace and produces a heavy ball

when i try to return his shot i have a hard time returning it, only being about to generate moderate pace to hit

Just curious...

What frame do you use? And what frame does your heavy ball hitting partner use?

smack that
07-23-2009, 07:12 AM
I Use apdc
he use mgpmp

DavaiMarat
07-23-2009, 07:33 AM

Heavy ball, this is a ball that pushes your opponent back rising from the baseline and up. Now the reason this hurts most people not because the pace but the fact your dealing with spin and the ball rising. It's easy to meet a fast flat ball at your waist, it's completely another thing to do it around your shoulders with the ball still traveling up.

Now, the way you handle a heavy ball is two fold. Don't let it get two high on you. No one gets good leverage around your head or higher so this means you'll be taking it on the rise. Now because you're going to be taking this on the rise, you have to abbreviate your take back/back swing and let your body do more of the work. Once you learn how to get your hip into the ball heavy balls become alot less troublesome. A little acceleration of the hips and a flat racquet on the ball and those heavy balls get punted right back with interested.

So in summary, against a heavy ball.

1) Smaller backswing - keep the racquet more parrallel to the ground, you have less time.
2) Hitting flatter - shallow U, the ball is rising so it will provide more lift so you don't have too.
3) Hit on the rise (waist level) and open up your hips (ie let your hips hit the ball not the arm).

This won't be easy at 1st but once you get the hang of it you'll enjoy the heavy ball alot more. (and make agassi proud).

- One last tip. You'll not going to be able to hit the ball at waist level all the time but the important thing is preparing the racquet to the height of the ball. Meaning, if your know your going to hit the ball around your shoulders that means your taking the racquet back at shoulders height. Of course at this level your hitting flatter. Conversely, if the ball is low, your take back is lower and your giving the ball more lift and arc.
Kudos and good luck,

Mike

In D Zone
07-23-2009, 09:36 AM
You will definitely be facing someone that is going be stronger and faster than you. But it does not mean you will just wilt and go away.

Are you trying to counter by fighting fire with fire? For sure you don't have the arsenal to go toe to toe with the dude. Rather than go for the gas - you want to keep yourself in the rally. This involves alot of running and patience. You can do so with by:
1. keeping a short compact swing, basically you are using his pace to deflect his shot. This is the most effective shot as you are playing more like a backboard.
2. change the pace of the rally, by mixing it up with slices. Particularly effective if you are stretched or late in getting to the ball.
3. Once you get used to the first two tactic, then you start working on a pattern by moving the opponent around with your ball.
4. be selective with your shot, if you can go for the winner go for it. But don't freeze and admire your shot, always be ready to know that the ball will come back.
After a few rounds you'll noticed your opponents how your opponent hit his shots.
If the ball kicks up with alot of top spin, take a half a step back and ready yourself to attack his ball while its coming up to your shoulder. You must keep you eye fixed on the ball and attach the shot by hitting it downward.
If the ball is flat and low, blend down as you prep so you can hook the ball back with a good topspin to the side. I love to hook a incoming fast flat shot and hit it back with an angle. Yes, objective is to move your opponent away to wear him out.