PDA

View Full Version : Does tournament results affect your NTRP??

Oldracquet27
07-22-2009, 06:33 PM
i usually play leagues, but recently i started to play local tournaments. Do the tournaments results affect my year end rating? If i win a lot can i move to the next level?

What means "Benchmark" type rating..

THank you ...

RedWeb
07-22-2009, 06:38 PM
The short answer is yes. But there are variances from region to region. In Texas tournament results are not taken into consideration until the end of year ratings are done. While league play effects mid-year ratings/bump ups.

A "benchmark" player has been specially identified to act as a benchmark against which other players are judged. Beating a benchmark player will effect your rating more than beating someone who is not benchmarked. This player cannot appeal down and is usually stuck at their rating for at least a year. Benchmark players typically have to participate and have success in playoff situations such as city, district, area, sectional, regional, national championships.

You can move to "the next level" anytime you want. Your rating is only the "floor" at which may play. For example, if you are ranked as 3.0 you cannot play at 2.5 but you could play at 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 etc. Of course, most of the time that is suicide. Many dedicated players will "play up" at smaller tournaments because sometimes the competition is not as good as you'd find at the higher points tournaments or major zones, or if they already know they will be moving up to next level.

raiden031
07-22-2009, 06:41 PM
The following conditions should be met:

1) Your USTA Section must be one that counts tournament results towards ratings
2) It must be a USTA sanctioned tournament

Alot of times when you sign up for a tournament in tennislink, it will say "unsanctioned" which means it will show up in tennislink, but it doesn't count towards your rating (or ranking).

RedWeb
07-22-2009, 06:45 PM
The following conditions should be met:

1) Your USTA Section must be one that counts tournament results towards ratings
2) It must be a USTA sanctioned tournament

Alot of times when you sign up for a tournament in tennislink, it will say "unsanctioned" which means it will show up in tennislink, but it doesn't count towards your rating (or ranking).

Good point! Raiden speaks the truth.

rasajadad
07-23-2009, 04:46 AM
While I agree with the points made above it's important to know what kind of "local tournaments" you are entering. My point is that as far as I know results in an age group tournament won't effect your NTRP (and vice versa.)