PDA

View Full Version : Holy Bat, Man!

tennisee
07-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Last night playing under lights there were a couple of fruit bats flying about.
My opponent served, and "thwack!" the ball went off at an odd angle and there was a dead bat lying in my service box.
We looked at each other, I walked over, picked it up and removed to the side of the court.
I just said, "take two, you murderer." Of course it was a let; if nothing else I think clearing a dead bat is an unusual delay between serves, but is wildlife like that a part of the court? What if it had been a second serve?
Am I entitled to call a let if a bat flies past me and distracts me in a rally? ...Cindy?

TenniseaWilliams
07-22-2009, 08:10 PM
I would certainly give you a let, and a first serve.

Anything else would be bat sportsmanship.

Lakers4Life
07-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Good Pun! ROFLMAO

MarrratSafin
07-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Haha that's interesting. I've once hit a lob and a bat tried to grab the ball high in the air! The lob was looking good, but that means I ended up on the receiving end of an easy overhead lol.:evil:

TenniseaWilliams
07-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Good Pun! ROFLMAO

OP started it with the thread title. I do admire him though, very few people later admit to making bat calls.

Svenskpor
07-23-2009, 05:15 AM
Am I entitled to call a let if a bat flies past me and distracts me in a rally? ...Cindy?

I'd like to know this too - had this happen in a match but the bat flew at my opponent and I gave him a let.

LetFirstServe
07-23-2009, 05:48 AM
Listening to a tennis match from a bats perspective.....

jmverdugo
07-23-2009, 05:52 AM
I saw this happening on an official match of a ITF Junior Tournament, one of the kids hit a lob and a bat hit the ball and slightly change the trajectory of the ball and of course distracted the opponent who ended up lossing the point, it wasnt called a let though, according to the umpire it wasnt anybodys fault!?

JavierLW
07-23-2009, 05:59 AM
I saw this happening on an official match of a ITF Junior Tournament, one of the kids hit a lob and a bat hit the ball and slightly change the trajectory of the ball and of course distracted the opponent who ended up lossing the point, it wasnt called a let though, according to the umpire it wasnt anybodys fault!?

I think Ive read that if the ball hits a bird it's a let, so a bat would be the same thing. It's not a permanent fixture or anything.

If it flys across the court and gets in your way Im sure you can call a let as well, it's not any different then having a stray ball roll across your court, or having another player from another court come running across.

subaru3169
07-23-2009, 06:22 AM
with those type of things, the point should be started over

PatrickB
07-23-2009, 06:56 AM

Then the umpire was wrong. This is definitely a let as the bat constituted an unintentional hindrance, per ITF Rules of Tennis 26 Case 3:

Case 3: A ball in play hits a bird flying over the court. Is this a hindrance?
Decision: Yes, the point shall be replayed.