PDA

View Full Version : less power more consistent?

itracbui3
07-22-2009, 08:48 PM
so like during the past week, ive been trying to smack the ball hard and trying to add massive topspin and my game went down. today i decided to play w.o much power but focus on form and consistency, im surprised that my game went wayy up. is there a way to add power into that consistency w.o trying to smack the ball?

Nonentity
07-22-2009, 08:53 PM
you have to get into the point and get into the match. Once you start getting balls in consistently, you can gradually increase the pace. You can't just start crushing the ball out of nowhere you have to build up gradually to that point.

so start slow, get your shots in consistently, and when you are feeling confident, only then up your pace gradually. If you see that you still aren;t confident on your power shots, then you just have to tone it down for a while. It may be few shots, may be a few days, but eventually you will actually "feel" confident hitting that power shot.

nfor304
07-22-2009, 09:27 PM
so like during the past week, ive been trying to smack the ball hard and trying to add massive topspin and my game went down. today i decided to play w.o much power but focus on form and consistency, im surprised that my game went wayy up. is there a way to add power into that consistency w.o trying to smack the ball?

You can if you focus on hitting mostly percentage shots. As in during baseline rallys hit most balls cross court and only go down the line if you have a short ball or if your approaching. If you do that you will get a higher percentage of balls in

SethIMcClaine
07-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Similar to serving... Practice hitting it hard, get as comfortable as you can going hard, and then back it down when you need to be consistant.
Ex. When you lift a heavy weight so you feel more comfortable lifting medium weight more consistantly. As youre heavy weight comfort goes up so does your medium weight consistancy.

(Don't let practicing hard get in the way of good form though!)

masterxfob
07-22-2009, 11:25 PM
so many people these day only want to smack the ball, it's sad really. what's the point of smacking the ball around if you can't place it and can only keep it in play for two strokes? i really prefer and recommend that beginning and intermediate players use a medium paced shot that they can hit consistently and place accurately. only until you have gained the consistency and accuracy with the medium paced shot, should you look to increase the pace.

in other words, i'm glad that you have noticed that tennis isn't all about smacking the living guano out of the ball. work on the consistency, then the accuracy, and then increase the pace. being able to place a shot consistently where you want it will win you many more points than power alone.

fuzz nation
07-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Without seeing you hit some balls, it's tough to know just where your skills are at in the grand scheme, but I agree that it's HUGE that you appreciate consistency in the game. I can appreciate your wanting to hit harder, too. Sometimes it's just a reality that a little more pace can help us deal with tougher opponents.

One thing to consider in a situation where there's harder hitting going on is that the two "killers" aren't completely swinging out of their shoes the entire match. If you observe some heavy hitting, one thing you might notice is a lot of redirection where the hitter swings smoothly and sends the already faster moving ball in the direction of his/her choosing. Watch just one player during those rallies and you can see how much earlier they move and set up on the ball compared with a relative novice.

My point is that these heavier hitters are better at preparation. Their strokes are smooth, full motions, not wicked flails at the ball with little control. Better players make the time necessary for these full strokes by using an aggressive split step and early turn so that they are swinging on their own schedule instead of catching up to the ball with a late "whup". Even in a lighter hitting session, it's extremely productive to keep after the habit of an explosive first move toward the ball so that you can stay ahead of it, even in settings with harder hitting.