PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find tournaments?

Team_Volkl
07-23-2009, 02:09 AM
Hey all, I'm a guy in his early 20's and was a competitive junior player back in the day and am probably about a 4.5 player currently. I really, really want to start playing tournaments, but what do and where do I look to find a list of tournaments in my city. I went to the USTA's website and looked up tournaments but it seem they just list a few overall one's.

I want to become better than I ever was and I know that the only way to do that is with playing tournaments. I don't really think I'd like a league, doubles or anything like that as I like to play by myself vs others. I might even try an open tournament (yea, I'll get my butt kicked, but it will only get me back to where I was quicker!).

I just need to find a list of tournaments though. I know this question probably sounds silly, but I've been out of tennis for so long and when I was really into it I was very young and didn't know many of these sorts of details--I just played and I remember it was very easy finding junior tournaments, but then again, my Mom did do that for me, hah.

Team_Volkl
07-23-2009, 02:10 AM
I'm not yet a member of the USTA by the way (will be registering soon), so perhaps that has something to do with why I can't find anything, I don't know.

Thanks again.

Lakers4Life
07-23-2009, 02:28 AM
You'll need a USTA ID number first. You can do that online at USTA.COM. Once you get your ID number, click on the Tennislink button and then find a tournament in your area.

You can self rate, but if you under rate yourself, you face DQ and forfeiture of any games you played previous to your DQ. If you were ever ranked or rated previously, you pretty much stay at that level even if you have not played in a few years. You can go up in ratings, but can't go down. Don't try to sandbag, unless you think you can get away with it, eventually your past will catch up with you since you've played in tournaments in your past.

Also you might want to join a league, where you can play with players at your same level. During the Spring they have Singles. There might also be a Ladder in your area, if you just want to play singles.

Good Luck!

Team_Volkl
07-23-2009, 02:37 AM
You'll need a USTA ID number first. You can do that online at USTA.COM. Once you get your ID number, click on the Tennislink button and then find a tournament in your area.

You can self rate, but if you under rate yourself, you face DQ and forfeiture of any games you played previous to your DQ. If you were ever ranked or rated previously, you pretty much stay at that level even if you have not played in a few years. You can go up in ratings, but can't go down. Don't try to sandbag, unless you think you can get away with it, eventually your past will catch up with you since you've played in tournaments in your past.

Also you might want to join a league, where you can play with players at your same level. During the Spring they have Singles. There might also be a Ladder in your area, if you just want to play singles.

Good Luck!

Lakers, thank you so much for your quick and helpful reply :) That's kind of my fear, I don't know my rating exactly, but I know I'm no lower than a 4.0, likely a 4.5, but perhaps a 5.0. I know 5.0's are very good, but I know I had to be about that at the top of my game. The last thing I want to do is rate myself too low, although rating my self too high probably wouldn't be the best, but maybe it wouldn't be so bad? I don't really like playing against people my level anyways either because all I want to do is keep getting better and better and you can only do that by playing better people.

Hmm, 4.5 or 5.0, that is the question.

amarone
07-23-2009, 02:50 AM
You can go up in ratings, but can't go down. Yes you can.

Don't try to sandbag, unless you think you can get away with it.So your recommendation is that he should only cheat if he thinks he won't get caught? How about "don't cheat, period."

Lakers4Life
07-23-2009, 02:53 AM
There is a self rating guideline, You just have to figure out where you fit. You will always meet a sandbagger or two in the leagues and tournaments. You can also play up, which is OK, but you can't paly down. If you play up and beat a few guys, then most likely you will get moved up by the computer.

There is a thread on glitches in the rating computer, it's worth a read.

I usually have to play against guys above my level, not by my choice, but I get what you mean. What makes us weak, makes us stronger. Right?

Lakers4Life
07-23-2009, 02:57 AM
So your recommendation is that he should only cheat if he thinks he won't get caught? How about "don't cheat, period."

Maybe you did not get the point, the line after it said, "eventually your past will catch up with you since you've played in tournaments in your past."

I'm pretty sure he got the point. Thanks for your concern, Anyways.