PDA

View Full Version : Hooked again!!

jefferson
07-23-2009, 03:03 AM
I was playing a doubles match on monday night on hard tru. We have doubles league. I was returning on the ad side, score was ad in. Guy hits a serve to my forehand and follows it in to the net. I hit a really heavy dipper cross court, he attempts to volley but it dips below his rackts. He regains his balance looks at the location and says out and circles the mark. OK...

I go to the net just to see how close it was and I cant see a mark. So I politely ask if he minds that I look. I go over and there is no mark! The guy circled nothing!!! Then insisted that there was a mark. I was bewildered to say the least. His partner walks over and agrees no mark... they offer me a let... I refuse the let, give them the game and proceed to pound 4 hard kickers to win the next game. I was ****ed. When do people stop cheating? I guess the answer is they never stop. Anything to win.

I shook his hand at the end of the match but he knows that I was not happy with the phantom mark.

mlktennis
07-23-2009, 07:17 AM
yeah, it's incredible how ADULT's will behave in a game.

Circling a phanthom line though- that takes some serious balls!

mlktennis
07-23-2009, 07:21 AM
you are a good sport though to let them have the game and do the mature thing and that is to beat them with your skills. Nothing like letting someone cheat and still beating them!

always good to shake hands no matter what though, it is a game and sportsmanship is part of it (even if opp is not very sporting)

precision2b
07-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Man I hate playing people like that. You were the better man.

Moz
07-23-2009, 08:11 AM
I His partner walks over and agrees no mark... they offer me a let... I refuse the let, give them the game and proceed to pound 4 hard kickers to win the next game.

I can't stand people like that - I'm with you on that.

Why on earth didn't you claim the point as they obviously had no basis for calling the ball out and more or less admitted that when no mark was apparent? That way he may have been less inclined to cheat the next time.

Unfortunately with your subsequent decision his cheating was validated because it got him the game.

SretiCentV
07-23-2009, 08:33 AM
I never have matches that are close enough for something like this to make a difference in the outcome. What I am working on though is a mean drop shot/lob combo just to enrage any enemy who tries to cheat.

People have cheated against me but I just don't care enough to get upset. The drop/lob is going to be so epic though.

Moz
07-23-2009, 08:40 AM
What I am working on though is a mean drop shot/lob combo just to enrage any enemy who tries to cheat.

I hope you save that for singles rather than doubles.

subaru3169
07-23-2009, 08:46 AM
wow that would **** me off to no end

that's as absurd as immediately walking back to the scorekeeper saying you handed your opponent a couple bagels without even playing

goober
07-23-2009, 09:47 AM
If you played on a hardcourt, you probably would not have been that ****ed. :)

Kostas
07-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Some people are more or less forgiving when making line calls.

I've been working very hard on my mental game this year and not thinking too much about things outside of the next point.

I don't think twice about line calls either way and it's helped me tremendously in maintaining my focus and composure. I've also been trying to get less frustrated with myself with I'm playing poorly or losing.
If nothing else, it's helped me enjoy the game more.

r2473
07-23-2009, 10:23 AM

I've been working very hard on my mental game this year and not thinking too much about things outside of the next point.

I don't think twice about line calls either way and it's helped me tremendously in maintaining my focus and composure. I've also been trying to get less frustrated with myself with I'm playing poorly or losing.

+1

precision2b
07-23-2009, 10:32 AM

I thinks that’s good advice Kostas…

10sguy
07-23-2009, 10:34 AM
I was playing a doubles match on monday night on hard tru. We have doubles league. I was returning on the ad side, score was ad in. Guy hits a serve to my forehand and follows it in to the net. I hit a really heavy dipper cross court, he attempts to volley but it dips below his rackts. He regains his balance looks at the location and says out and circles the mark. OK...

I go to the net just to see how close it was and I cant see a mark. So I politely ask if he minds that I look. I go over and there is no mark! The guy circled nothing!!! Then insisted that there was a mark. I was bewildered to say the least. His partner walks over and agrees no mark... they offer me a let... I refuse the let, give them the game and proceed to pound 4 hard kickers to win the next game. I was ****ed. When do people stop cheating? I guess the answer is they never stop. Anything to win.

I shook his hand at the end of the match but he knows that I was not happy with the phantom mark.

Since the server missed your cross court dipper and his partner agreed there was no mark (where the guy circled), it was YOUR POINT, end of story. No way was there any basis for them "offering" a let. Lot's of players in uncomfortable situations like this "offer" to play a let; that is total BS! It's like they want to look "sporting" when offering the let when, in effect, they're positioning themselves for a second chance to win the point.

Nonentity
07-23-2009, 12:02 PM
reminds me of a match i played a long time ago on clay courts. I noticed the opponent was caling out when i seemed to be hitting the line.

Finally I get fed up, and I ask to see the the mark, and when he shows me the mark i can see it is touching the line! I come to his side (bad sportsmanship i know) to look closer and about a quarter of the mark is on the line, so i ask him how in the world he thought that is out.

So he takes a ball out of his pocket, and places it directly onto the center of the mark, and says "See? the bottom of the ball isn't touching the line". ..facepalm...

long story short, i called the official, who agreed with me, and I won the point.

So maybe this person wasn't trying to cheat you, he might have been just clueless when it comes to marks.

x5150
07-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Does har tru have more noticeable marks or something?

You can't blame a guy for missing one call but circling a phantom mark , maybe the lying snowball effect set in.

coloskier
07-23-2009, 01:25 PM

You can't blame a guy for missing one call but circling a phantom mark , maybe the lying snowball effect set in.

Yes, Har_Tru is green clay, which always leaves marks. Actually, most hard courts leave marks too with new balls.

jefferson
07-23-2009, 02:44 PM
If you played on a hardcourt, you probably would not have been that ****ed. :)

Absolutely correct....I probably wouldnt have questioned it. Probably if he didnt "circle it" to prove his point I would have let it go also.

jefferson
07-23-2009, 02:49 PM

Leaves a mark everytime, minus a drop volley. This ball had a ton of spin on it noway it doesnt leave a mark. Unless the ball hits all line. I know people miss line calls but to circle something that doesnt exist is lame.

As for it being my point from another poster, I know...

OrangePower
07-23-2009, 03:48 PM

That's such a coincidence, because a friend was telling me the other day that he was playing this doubles match on Monday night...

My friend was serving a point at ad-in, and the returner hit the crosscourt return wide. The ball was clearly out as could be seen by the mark. But the returner was unconvinced and insisted on coming over to the other side of the court to look. Dude must have been blind though because he couldn't see the mark even though it was perfectly clear, and my friend had even circled it for him! He even tried to drag my friend's partner into it, but he wisely stayed out of it and refused to comment one way or the other... but to defuse the situation he offered a let (even though unwarranted). But by this time the hothead returner was steaming and refused the let. The next game, hothead was serving, and my friend and his partner actually played serves that were clearly out, just to avoid further confrontation - after all, it's just recreational tennis, and at the end of the day what does it matter? Try tell that to the hothead though... some people just take it way too seriously :-)

jefferson
07-24-2009, 01:29 PM
That's such a coincidence, because a friend was telling me the other day that he was playing this doubles match on Monday night...

My friend was serving a point at ad-in, and the returner hit the crosscourt return wide. The ball was clearly out as could be seen by the mark. But the returner was unconvinced and insisted on coming over to the other side of the court to look. Dude must have been blind though because he couldn't see the mark even though it was perfectly clear, and my friend had even circled it for him! He even tried to drag my friend's partner into it, but he wisely stayed out of it and refused to comment one way or the other... but to defuse the situation he offered a let (even though unwarranted). But by this time the hothead returner was steaming and refused the let. The next game, hothead was serving, and my friend and his partner actually played serves that were clearly out, just to avoid further confrontation - after all, it's just recreational tennis, and at the end of the day what does it matter? Try tell that to the hothead though... some people just take it way too seriously :-)

you aren't from upstate NY by any chance are you? That would be funny! I am truly pretty laid back on the court, def wouldnt call myself a hot head.

Steady Eddy
07-24-2009, 03:31 PM
... I refuse the let, give them the game and proceed to pound 4 hard kickers to win the next game. I was ****ed.
Getting angry helped you? That's not how it usually goes. My experience has been the hooking on their part followed by 4 consecutive double faults on my part, as I completely fall to pieces. I wish I could be like you and turn anger into effectiveness.

conditionZero
07-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Getting angry helped you? That's not how it usually goes. My experience has been the hooking on their part followed by 4 consecutive double faults on my part, as I completely fall to pieces. I wish I could be like you and turn anger into effectiveness.

I think it actually helps me too. But then anything that makes me stop thinking about the mechanics of my stroke seems to help.

OrangePower
07-25-2009, 11:10 AM
you aren't from upstate NY by any chance are you? That would be funny! I am truly pretty laid back on the court, def wouldnt call myself a hot head.

Na I was just having fun with the story... :-)

precision2b
07-25-2009, 06:47 PM

I wish anger helped me play better. The last time I got hooked I tried to hit the next 4-5 balls through the guy that hooked me. Problem was he was behind the base line and didn't return the balls… Felt good to knock the crap out of something anyway....:oops:

jefferson
07-26-2009, 02:29 AM
I never seem to get a chance to hit someone when I want to! Thats so funny! I hit people usually just out of reaction or reflexes. Not intentional... usually... I have been known to get even from time to time. BUt generally speaking I am sorry when I hit someone with a volley or groundie.

precision2b
07-26-2009, 01:57 PM
I never seem to get a chance to hit someone when I want to! Thats so funny! I hit people usually just out of reaction or reflexes. Not intentional... usually... I have been known to get even from time to time. BUt generally speaking I am sorry when I hit someone with a volley or groundie.
Me to, just venting....