PDA

View Full Version : Problem to change grip from FH to 2HBH

meticulous
07-23-2009, 05:50 AM
Problem to change grip from FH(semiwestern) to 2HBH.
Any advice?
Thanks.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
07-23-2009, 06:19 AM
theres really no advice. if you cant find a proper grip u can find easily without looking down. then quit tennis.

Mdubb23
07-23-2009, 06:25 AM
Play short-court (only service boxes). That way, you'll get a lot more chances to practice changing your grip, in a smaller amount of time, with less margain for error. Trust me, it works when changing a grip.

Sublime
07-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Any advice?
Thanks.

First make sure you're adjusting the grip for you hitting hand by turning the racket by the throat with your other hand. This gives your mind a tactile reference to the angle of the racket face.

I was having trouble with slightly inconsistent positions on my grip (slightly more or less extreme on the grip I use), so I removed the grip from my racket and just wrapped the handle with an cushion overgrip. It made the ridges/bevels more pronounced and made it easier to find the right grip.

Now nearly perfect grip changes are second nature and I've played with other rackets that have full grips without issue, but I've grown to like the feel of just the overgrip so I never switched back.

Jay_The_Nomad
07-23-2009, 07:23 AM
all will come naturally the longer you play tennis.

i.e. the longer you use a particular racquet and the more you use a particular grip style.

DavaiMarat
07-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Any advice?
Thanks.

Ok. I hit exactly the same as you (grips I mean). Now it's all about the left hand. I assume you can find your forehand grip easily enough but it's switching to the 2HB is the problem right?

Now it's all about becoming familiar with how you hold the racquet with your left hand higher on the grip. It's probably a eastern forehand grip. So you need to be able to grab the handle with that grip consistently while your racquet is still holding the frame in the SW forehand grip.

When you can do this naturally, it's just a simple twist using the left hand to move the bevels in the right position (continental) for your dominant hand. The motion is like wringing a towel but the left hand is doing the twisting while the grip is moving in the right hand.

There's no magic formula but you'll just have to keep doing this until it feels natural. You can do it at home too. Pick up the racquet in the SW Forehand grip. Put your left hand on grip in a eastern forehand and twist. Repeat. It will become instinct after a bit.

During the service return you should hold the racquet with both grips. Forehand SW with the right hand and the Eastern Forehand in your left hand.
Therefore you can just release if the serve is to your forehand and just twist if it's to your backhand.

I hope this helped,

Mike