PDA

View Full Version : Advice on the stroke please

richjohn
07-23-2009, 09:27 AM
My forehand has too much topspin and lacks of pace & penetration. My forehand often cleans the net about 3-4 feet. I think it is too high.

I am thinking about leaning forward or even move forward when I have chance to add pace to my forehand.

Any advice is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDpbe6UFNEI

vhttp://www.youtube.com/v/fDpbe6UFNEI

Spyre
07-23-2009, 09:44 AM
You might want to hit the ball out in front of you more if you think you're hitting it to high...Doing that will cause you to hit it lower. But then if you do that, you'll need to adjust other things. I don't think your swing is that bad. I presume your balls go deep. That's a good thing...

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
07-23-2009, 09:55 AM
one thing is, most of your forehand were just above the line on the backboard. a couple things wrong with that, first, when you stand at the baseline, it wont go over the net. and second, thats not much topspin. you seem to be swinging too slow and too close to the board. move back a lot and really swing out so we can see your real stroke not some abbreviated version.

richjohn
07-23-2009, 03:03 PM
So when practicing aginst the board, I need to move one court away?

one thing is, most of your forehand were just above the line on the backboard. a couple things wrong with that, first, when you stand at the baseline, it wont go over the net. and second, thats not much topspin. you seem to be swinging too slow and too close to the board. move back a lot and really swing out so we can see your real stroke not some abbreviated version.

LeeD
07-24-2009, 12:01 PM
You have a direct straight takeback. On dat, you need to flatten your strokes or swing much harder. Swinging harder generally makes you loop your takeback, so your technique changes as you hit harder.
You can also decide on a grip change to more Eastern...or SW, to hit flatter shots with your slow swing.
DO NOT lean forward. Do not lean back. Stay straight and balanced for all shots, so you have a consistent a firm hitting platform.
Some people say your swing is your swing, so adjust the grip to flatten the ball, get more pace, but LOSE consistency. That's why every top player likes to groundie 3-5' above the net, with topspin, for safety clearance over the net. Net skimmers don't become consistent, ever.

richjohn
07-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Thank you LeeD for your advice.

Currently I am using SW grip.

I normally play with a loop take back but the video shows a compacted swing because of the short distance to the board.

Do you think my starting point to swing forward is too low?

You have a direct straight takeback. On dat, you need to flatten your strokes or swing much harder. Swinging harder generally makes you loop your takeback, so your technique changes as you hit harder.
You can also decide on a grip change to more Eastern...or SW, to hit flatter shots with your slow swing.
DO NOT lean forward. Do not lean back. Stay straight and balanced for all shots, so you have a consistent a firm hitting platform.
Some people say your swing is your swing, so adjust the grip to flatten the ball, get more pace, but LOSE consistency. That's why every top player likes to groundie 3-5' above the net, with topspin, for safety clearance over the net. Net skimmers don't become consistent, ever.

crystal_clear
07-24-2009, 01:39 PM
So when practicing aginst the board, I need to move one court away?

I think what Wes_Loves_Dunlop meant is hitting with a partner to get a better view of your REAL strokes.

fuzz nation
07-25-2009, 11:08 AM
It might not hurt to try hitting some of those balls off the backboard off two bounces instead of just one. I know that we normally want to stick with one bounce when hitting, but off a backboard it can get a bit rushed that way. Two bounces gives me a more realistic rally tempo.

Looking at your upper half vs. your lower half while you're firing off those forehands, it looks like most of your swing is being driven by your arm and chest while your legs stay relatively quiet. At 0:28 you take a little bit of a hop, but otherwise I don't see your feet working very much in your favor.

What really got my attention on this was later on where you're hitting some slice backhands and repeatedly just fighting them off. That stroke demands a deliberate surge onto your front foot (right foot in your case) or you absolutely cannot drive it. In these slice bh's, you seem to push off backward with your right foot. For both shots, tap the energy in those legs to better drive through the ball.

By the way, you also want to maintain the "L" formed by your racquet and your forearm throughout that slice - in the video, your wrist breaks open and that "L" straightens out. Extend your arm to a full finish so that the tip of your racquet is pointed roughly in the direction of your target.

LuckyR
07-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Your video is less than truly informative as you mentioned your stroke is abnormal since you have to prep for the stroke unusually quickly due to the wall.

Having said that, my guess is your problem is not your stroke it is more liklely to be your bodywork. I am not seeing much hip and shoulder participation in pace generation.