PDA

View Full Version : Why do the women use the oversize models?

isell188
03-30-2005, 05:17 AM
I was reading that Sharapova uses the oversize shark (110) and the williams' sisters both use oversize non "player" racquets. what's the deal, do they need more power? spin? any ideas.

dscw
03-30-2005, 05:37 AM
i think basically power. they want a power game nowadays so they use oversizes.

equinox
03-30-2005, 05:38 AM
Gives them more power and larger sweetspot.

andirez
03-30-2005, 05:39 AM
I think it is a combination of factors. Female players often start out playing with a larger racquet when they are young, because they provide more power and most of them have a double handed backhand which suits an oversize frame. As they grow older, they stick to what they know. I guess it is also marketing by the racquet companies, female players need to promote these frames as being very well suited for women. Product differentiation means usually more profit for the manufacturers.

tennissavy
03-30-2005, 07:44 AM
I was reading that Sharapova uses the oversize shark (110) and the williams' sisters both use oversize non "player" racquets. what's the deal, do they need more power? spin? any ideas.

Sharapova uses the triple threat hornet midplus and she has used that frame even prior to her wimbledon victory. It has been repainted over the years. If you have any doubts, go to mariaworld.net and look at the photos. You can enlarge most of them. The triple threat hornet mp has shared grommets at 10 & 2 o'clock, the shark and attack do not. Hornet mp has 16x20 pattern and the shark has 16x19. The hornet mp has a different throat that the other models. She is still using the hornet mp. It was very funny at wimbledon when she was holding up her racquet and the photographer got a good closeup shot of the racquet. That photo is on Mariaworld.net wimbledon photo gallery. She had the hornet painted like the more attack at the time. The more attack racquet was a grommetless racquet. In the photo you could clearly see all the grommets, especially the sweet spot suspension grommets. BTW, at 3 & 9 o'clock there are 7 sweet spot suspension grommets in the midplus hornet and there are I believe 2 more ss suspension grommets on the oversize. Also, the triple threat hornet oversize has a string pattern of 16x19 so that is also how you can tell that Maria uses the midplus not the oversize.

35ft6
03-31-2005, 05:25 AM
I heard some commentators talking about this very thing once. Here's the nutshell version. They were talking about Serena in particular in order to make a point about the top of the women's game in general: Serena doesn't use a player's racket because her philosophy is don't give me a control racket and ask me to generate power... give me a power racket and I'll figure out a way to control it. She figures the power she gets on her serve alone is worth it. It's all about power with the top girls. Just bang it into a corner and wait for the short reply. Serena is willing to hit more unforced errors in order to draw weak shot after weak shot from her opponents.

Something like that.