PDA

View Full Version : serving with western grip -- age 15 xP

briianxd
07-23-2009, 01:56 PM
is this normal? the ball curves and kicks up when it hits the ground

theenrighthouse
07-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Well, I'm no pro but I think serving with a western grip to get a good kick from the serve is a short-cut, that has less potential for developing into a strong kick/top-spin serve. I think you'll find that if you serve a proper kick serve with a loose eastern grip, that you'll get boat-loads more kick off the ball - if done properly. Plus, you'll develop a serve that will have more potential for variation (slice serve, flat serve, etc).

I grew up playing on clay and myself and my buddies often used more extreme grips on our serves, to compensate for poor technique. Since I've developed a better technique I can create higher kicking serves than I ever did with a western grip serve.

stanfordtennis alum
07-23-2009, 04:59 PM
using a western grip would be very difficult developing a good serve, use a continental grip

theenrighthouse
07-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Errr.... continental... that's what I meant, as well :)

[ GTR ]
07-25-2009, 04:55 AM
Are you talking about the opposite of it, eastern backhand?

fruitytennis1
07-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Fix thy hand grip b4 its 2 l8.

TennezSport
07-28-2009, 01:14 PM
The SW grip for a serve is really hard on the wrist. It's best to go with a continental grip. However, you can also go with an eastern BH grip for your second serve, which is easier on the wrist and can still generate some nasty spin. Best of luck.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool: