PDA

View Full Version : Justine Henin-Hardenne racquet spec?

tennisfan4
04-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Does anyone have any specs on Justine Henin's racquets, weight, balance, tension, etc..... Thanks

djbrown
04-08-2004, 01:10 PM
It's supposed to be a Wilson H Tour. Not sure if it's a paint job or not. During a match not too long ago, they mentioned that it was strung at 57 lbs.

TripleThreatPlayer
04-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Its suppose to be a hammer with power holes ( Most likley a customized hammer 5.3?)

tennisfan4
04-08-2004, 05:48 PM
what are power holes?

Swan Song
04-09-2004, 08:02 AM
Power Holes are narrow oval holes that are used to increase the string movement like Volkl's Big Spot and Prince's Sweet Spot Suspension System. They had to stop making it I think is because it whistled when you swung the racquet.

tennisfan4
04-09-2004, 09:06 AM
where are the power holes on the raqguet? Do racquets come with them or do they have someone customize it for them?

TripleThreatPlayer
04-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Each company has their own variation of the power hole. The power hole is suppose to expand the sweet spot (like the Sweet Spot Suspension from Prince). Power holes are large holes (or those barell things) placed at 3 o clock and9 o clock to support stability. Older designs still have power holes, such as The Wilson Hammer 4.0, 6.2, and PRince Thundercloud

cantaloupe
04-11-2004, 09:28 PM
powerholes are a stringer's third worst nightmare, behind rip control and that freaking double bridge POS they call prince more control

Stinkdyr
04-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Powerholes are a trampoline gimmick foisted on ignorant saps who don't know better. Avoid them.

shiny
09-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Surprisingly there is no "Justine Henin-Hardenne's racket" post with a good answer.

Fortunately, Justine has stepped up to the plate (honorably) and donated the actual racket she used in the 2005 US Open to the www tenniskatrina com auction.

It's exterior suggests an n-six-one 95? Except that the Wilson symbol near the handle is black and white which is different from the image of the one for sale on Tennis Warehouse.

Any experts want to comment? She was hitting very well with it.

Nadal_Rulz
09-10-2005, 04:16 PM
wilson ntour 95

shiny
09-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Wow. Justine actually uses the racket she advertises?

I knew there was a reason I liked her.

martin
09-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Triplethreatplayer is right. Henin uses a hyper hammer 5.3

Rabbit
09-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Her racket does indeed have power holes at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions on the head. They were clearly visible in her last match. This makes me think that she's playing with the same old model with a paintjob.

Power holes are enlarged grommets that give the string more movement which is supposed to increase dwell time. Volkl has big grommets which are about the same thing.

mishro17
09-11-2005, 08:14 PM
it is an ntour 95 with custom drilled powerholes-- which do suck to string. TNT Ruff is worse to string than rip cintrol... especially in a racquet with powerholes

jura
09-12-2005, 02:19 AM
I hold Henins racket dring the French Open. It's the Hyper Hammer 5.3 with Power Holes and a nTour pj. It's 70 cm long, weight is about 290 gr. unstrung, balance 35.4 cm, grip size 3. She uses Maillot Savarez Natural Gut, strung with 27 kp/59.5 lbs (probably will vary on different surfaces and conditions). Her racket is far away from being an nTour.

shiny
09-12-2005, 04:39 PM
I hold Henins racket dring the French Open. It's the Hyper Hammer 5.3 with Power Holes and a nTour pj. It's 70 cm long, weight is about 290 gr. unstrung, balance 35.4 cm, grip size 3. She uses Maillot Savarez Natural Gut, strung with 27 kp/59.5 lbs (probably will vary on different surfaces and conditions). Her racket is far away from being an nTour.

Sigh. Looks like we are going to have to start specifying which tournament we are talking about too.

The racket Justine Henin-Hardenne used during the US Open 2005 is being auctioned at www tenniskatrina com. It clearly has a 16-20 string count and not an 18-20 like the Hyper Hammer 5.3. It clearly does not have the tapered throat of the Hyper Hammer 5.3. Pictures of her at getty images strongly suggest she used an nCode nTour 95 too. I haven't seen the power holes, but I am inclined to believe the other posters.
Still, custom power holes is still acceptable to me as far as legitimate advertising if she uses a base model nCode nTour 95. So I'm still giving her credit for her US Open 2005 advertising.

Swan Song
09-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Sigh. Looks like we are going to have to start specifying which tournament we are talking about too.

The racket Justine Henin-Hardenne used during the US Open 2005 is being auctioned at www tenniskatrina com. It clearly has a 16-20 string count and not an 18-20 like the Hyper Hammer 5.3. It clearly does not have the tapered throat of the Hyper Hammer 5.3. Pictures of her at getty images strongly suggest she used an nCode nTour 95 too. I haven't seen the power holes, but I am inclined to believe the other posters.
Still, custom power holes is still acceptable to me as far as legitimate advertising if she uses a base model nCode nTour 95. So I'm still giving her credit for her US Open 2005 advertising.

The HH 5.3 always came with a 16x20 pattern, and when you look at her racquet, it looks wider than the nTour/HTour mould.

martin
09-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Shiny

The hyper hammer has clearly a 16-20 count and not an 18-20

Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 Stretch Racquets

Price: 79.95

Two of the most popular selling Hyper Carbon models. Although light and maneuverable with a slight head heavy balance, the 5.3 Midplus and Oversize are not as top-heavy as most other Hammer models. At 27.5 inches, they provide a little more leverage and reach than a standard length racquet, without impeding reaction to balls hit close to the body. Best suited to 4.0-5.0 level players with medium-full to full swings, the Hammer 5.3 Stretch racquets offer a nice combination of tempered power with control-oriented features. All court singles players will find the Midplus a rewarding frame, while doubles players may favor the Oversize.

Midplus Specs
Head Size:
95 sq. in. / 613 sq. cm.
Length: 27.5 inches / 70 cm
Strung Weight: 10.2oz / 289g
Balance: 3 pts Head Heavy
Swingweight: 327
Stiffness: 75
Beam Width: 28 mm/25 mm Dual Taper Beam
Composition: 15% Hyper Carbon / 85% Graphite
Power Level: Medium
Swing Speed: Moderate-Fast
Grip Type: Cushion Aire Conform Grip
String Pattern:
16 Mains / 20 Crosses
Mains skip: 7T,9T,7H,9H
One Piece
No shared holes
String Tension: 53-63 pounds

Oversize Specs
Head Size:
110 sq. in. / 710 sq. cm.
Length: 27.5 inches / 70 cm
Strung Weight: 9oz / 255g
Balance: 8 pts Head Heavy
Swingweight: 301
Stiffness: 70
Beam Width: 28 mm/25 mm Dual Taper Beam
Composition: 15% Hyper Carbon / 85% Graphite
Power Level: Medium
Swing Speed: Moderate-Fast
Grip Type: Cushion Aire Conform Grip
String Pattern:
16 Mains / 20 Crosses
Mains skip: 7T,9T,7H,9H
One Piece
No shared holes
String Tension: 53-63 pounds

Richie Rich
09-12-2005, 05:46 PM
she's used the HH 5.3 for a long time - remember back a few years to her 4th round or quarterfinal match with Davenport at USO she used the HH 5.3.

why would she switch racquets, especially when she has had so much success with the HH 5.3 and is used to it?

we accept ATP players use PJ's. Why is it so hard for everyone to accept the JHH uses one too?

Jura has been right before about players frames. why doubt the guy?

jura
09-13-2005, 02:18 AM
Thanks guys:-) I hope the case is clear now!?

shiny
09-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Doh! I could have sworn I read 18-20 when I looked up the Hyper Hammer 5.3.

Oh well, add another paintjob pro to the list. My bad.

marialover
09-13-2005, 11:19 AM
she's used the HH 5.3 for a long time - remember back a few years to her 4th round or quarterfinal match with Davenport at USO she used the HH 5.3.

why would she switch racquets, especially when she has had so much success with the HH 5.3 and is used to it?

we accept ATP players use PJ's. Why is it so hard for everyone to accept the JHH uses one too?

Jura has been right before about players frames. why doubt the guy?
Be serious. I doubt anyone who claims that a wta pro uses a racquet that 290 grams. That's incredible ignorance.

tennisfan23
09-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Look, jura has inside information about pro racquets. His numbers are coming straight from the french open stringing service book. What is so unbelievable about this?

marialover
09-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Look, jura has inside information about pro racquets. His numbers are coming straight from the french open stringing service book. What is so unbelievable about this?
290grams! For a pro! Oh yeah, Henin takes a racquet right off the Sports Authority's rack, has it strung and wins some slams. That's basically what Jura is saying when he states her frame's weight is 290g. That is unbelievable.

tennisfan23
09-13-2005, 12:00 PM
290grams! For a pro! Oh yeah, Henin takes a racquet right off the Sports Authority's rack, has it strung and wins some slams. That's basically what Jura is saying when he states her frame's weight is 290g. That is unbelievable.

Actually 290 grams would be the strung weight for a stock Hyper Hammer 5.3. With her racquet being 290g unstrung that means she could have quite a bit of lead tape underneath her grommets or in her handle. It's not all about how heavy your racquet is, more a combination of her perfect technique and incredible racquet speed. Also, this is a racquet she's been using since she began her career. She is perfectly comfortable with the specs.

marialover
09-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Actually 290 grams would be the strung weight for a stock Hyper Hammer 5.3. With her racquet being 290g unstrung that means she could have quite a bit of lead tape underneath her grommets or in her handle. It's not all about how heavy your racquet is, more a combination of her perfect technique and incredible racquet speed. Also, this is a racquet she's been using since she began her career. She is perfectly comfortable with the specs.
rest assured that no wta pro plays with a racquet that weighs 290grams, unstrung. You cannot hit those hard penetrating groundstrokes with a racquet that weighs so little.

Venetian
09-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Well marialover, you have provided nothing to backup your claim. Come back when you have facts please.

marialover
09-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Well marialover, you have provided nothing to backup your claim. Come back when you have facts please.
Why even bother? People were making claims a while back that Henin doesn't even have powerholes. Someone stated that he saw closeup photos of them. People said the same thing, provide facts... Guess what, she has powerholes. Anyone with any knowledge about the pros' gear realizes that no pro would play with frame of such ridiculously low weight. Use a little common sense based on knowledge, please.
You are a grand example of so many on this board- difficult and stupid. I am not even giving advice anymore because you "know it alls" ignore it anyway. I am done with this topic thread. 290 g LAUGH OUT LOUD. Dumb.

Richie Rich
09-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Why even bother? People were making claims a while back that Henin doesn't even have powerholes. Someone stated that he saw closeup photos of them. People said the same thing, provide facts... Guess what, she has powerholes. Anyone with any knowledge about the pros' gear realizes that no pro would play with frame of such ridiculously low weight. Use a little common sense based on knowledge, please.
You are a grand example of so many on this board- difficult and stupid. I am not even giving advice anymore because you "know it alls" ignore it anyway. I am done with this topic thread. 290 g LAUGH OUT LOUD. Dumb.

you've still not come back with a reasonable response other than call people dumb and know it alls.

she uses powerholes. that's pretty clear. as to weight who knows? jura has been right about other pros frames before. where do you get your knowledge of what weight JHH racquet is? I don't really care but you don't provide any logic or valid reason that she DOESN'T use a 290 gram racquet. Prove it that she doesn't. Then you can call people stupid.

I bet you there are women pro's who use a 290g racquet, give or take 10 g's.

Calling people names who disagree with you shows your lack of maturity.

Venetian
09-13-2005, 02:58 PM
I guess anyone who doesn't agree with his factless pushy posts is stupid huh?

tennissavy
09-13-2005, 08:01 PM
I would say that it is unlikely a pro player uses a 290 gram racket. That's way too light for me and I am not playing against hard hitters like Safin or Davenport. Justine is probably using a heavier racket than 290 grams.

katarddx
09-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Just remember Serena and Venus both use the racquet that is even lighter than 290 g... Stil managing pretty heavy shots. JHH has almost perfect technique and imho is verry possible for her to hit with that weight.

tennissavy
09-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Just remember Serena and Venus both use the racquet that is even lighter than 290 g... Stil managing pretty heavy shots. JHH has almost perfect technique and imho is verry possible for her to hit with that weight.
Their racquets are not less than 290g. Perhaps their retail versions but not theirs. Someone at the Australian Open, I believe, said that he weighed Serena's racquet and it came out to nearly 14 ozs. That sounds about right, not 290g or less. Get a clue.

jura
09-14-2005, 02:32 AM
Be serious. I doubt anyone who claims that a wta pro uses a racquet that 290 grams. That's incredible ignorance.
You can think and believe whatever you want. I hold Henins racket in my own hands and was surprides about the low weight. The exact weight is 269 gr. without string and without any grips. So you have to add about 20 gr. for base and overgrips and another 18 gr. for the strings. And then you have this racket (strung) with 305 - 310 gr. and a balance of about 37 cm. Some years ago I had a racket with 290 gr. strung and 40 cm balance and everybody found it very heavy. So as I told you: Believe whatever you want, but the specs I posted are exactly token by te string service at th French Open and they are real.
BTW: Henin is not the onliest femalt pro who's using such a light racket. There are some more.

jura
09-14-2005, 02:34 AM
Their racquets are not less than 290g. Perhaps their retail versions but not theirs. Someone at the Australian Open, I believe, said that he weighed Serena's racquet and it came out to nearly 14 ozs. That sounds about right, not 290g or less. Get a clue.
For Venus I can tell you that her racket weights about 305 gr. unstrung. But it's very headheavy.

Ash Doyle
09-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Most women pros don't use racquet that are all that heavy. There are even a surprising number of ATP pros now that use a racquet less than 12 ounces. I wouldn't be surprised about a woman pro using a racquet that is 10.2 ounces unstrung and head heavy. I also HIGHLY doubt that Serena uses a raquet that anywhere near 14 ounces. There are VERY few male pros left that use a racquet that heavy.