PDA

View Full Version : late to contact - fore/back hand timing

webbeing
07-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Hello,

I'm always late to the ball (foreward swing to contact) on both the forehand and back hand, particularly the back hand. I think it's due to a hitch in my take back. Basically after I do a unit turn and take the racquet back, pause, then take the racquet back a bit more when I saw the ball coming then start the forward swing. I am trying to fix this by taking the racquet back all the way at the same time as the unit turn. In doing this, I find that I have to wait for the ball (while holding the racquet all the way back and high about my head/shoulder) to start the forward swing. I still haven't got the timing down, though I notice that power is lost. Am I on the right path?

Many thanks.

itracbui3
07-23-2009, 09:00 PM
just take ur racket back earlier, prepare for it before it bounces toward you

firstblud
07-23-2009, 10:03 PM
it really helps me to bring my off arm (which is my left, for a righty) to aim and point at the ball as early as possible.

as a result of bringing the off arm across my body to point at the ball, I turn my shoulders towards the net and bring my racket back. for me, it did not work very well to focus on bringing my racket back early. instead i focused on other things that resulted in bringing my racket back early... if that makes sense. of course you have to prep your racket to your side with both hands as you move laterally to get to the ball.

tata
07-24-2009, 01:39 AM
I think you are too focused on your technique. If you have the right technique then im sure it will click so what you are struggling with is timing. I say just watch the ball. Dont think too much about your turn and take back. Those things should kick in automatically once you have watched the ball well enough to time it properly. You mind should be more focused on the ball and generating racquet headspeed.

SethIMcClaine
07-26-2009, 07:55 PM
go out with a hopper of balls, drop one at a time infront of your foot and hit it. Get used to making contact infront of your front foot. You can even step into it.

SystemicAnomaly
07-28-2009, 01:25 AM

I am trying to fix this by taking the racquet back all the way at the same time as the unit turn. In doing this, I find that I have to wait for the ball (while holding the racquet all the way back and high about my head/shoulder) to start the forward swing. I still haven't got the timing down, though I notice that power is lost. Am I on the right path? ...

If I'm prepare early and am going to have any pause in loop swing, I prefer to have that hesitation at the end of the unit turn rather than later in the loop. I find that this still gives me a lot of continuity in the loop swing and is fairly easy to time the rest of my loop.

An alternative would be to pause a bit later than the unit turn, with the racket head in an up position as you seem to be suggesting. A little bit less continuity than pausing at the end of the unit turn, but if it makes the rest of the stroke easier for you to time, then go with it. You should still derive some benefit from the racquet head drop prior to the forward swing is you use this "hesitation" variation.

Consider a more compact swing, la Agassi. This may be easier for you time.

Power Player
07-28-2009, 06:18 AM
Like some here said, prepare earlier. But I do not understand why people say to point at the ball with your left hand. It makes no sense to me.

You want to turn your shoulders more so your left hand would be pointing at the side of the court and your chin is resting on the shoulder with eyes tracking the ball. This enables a full shoulder turn and allows you to unload on the ball.