PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my forehand please?

tennisisawesome
07-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Please help me hit harder forehands! I hit classic forehands, not windshield wiper. I'm not exactly sure what my grip is called but:

My forehand grip is attained by holding the racket and making sure the V between my thumb and forefinger is directly on top of the flat part of the grip.

I think it's Western grip.

Anyway, my forehand is my weakest shot. I have a great backhand, good volleys, and an adequate serve, but my forehands are always weak and sometimes sitters that people can put away. I cannot hit with pace on this shot, for some reason. When I get a high ball, I just lob it back, because if I hit it flat, then it goes slowly. If I try to rip it back, I just mishit it, and even if I contact it cleanly, it is never "winner" material. If I get a rally ball, around waist height, the easiest shot to hit, I can only hit a solid ball, that, while not being very "attackable," is just a primarily defensive shot with moderate topspin and not much pace. If I get a low ball, I usually play the forehand slice, because if I don't, I can hardly generate any pace at all on it.
Because it is easier to generate power when you are returning an already powerful shot, many players exploit this weakness and send slow shots to my forehand, which normal players would be able to put away, but I can only reply with a slow shot back. My (2-handed) backhand is amazing however, and I run around some forehands to hit backhands, but this still doesn't solve the problem.

Anyway, if you don't want to read all this: PLEASE HELP ME HIT HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, STRONGER, FOREHANDS!

tennisisawesome
07-23-2009, 08:14 PM
please help?

tennisisawesome
07-23-2009, 08:22 PM
come on, I really need help! I have a match tomorrow!!

anyone?

StuckInMalibu
07-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Video would be helpful.

Start by figuring out what grip you want. Fuzzyellowballs.com has a clip on grips. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr2f8dmiwpU&feature=related

If the base on your index finger is touching 5, i.e. the bottom of the handle, you have a western grip. From your description, you might be using an eastern grip (3). The link has a guy demonstrate an eastern and semi-western forehand. Watch every part of his body and try to emulate him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca38gzEggco

tennisisawesome
07-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Video would be helpful.

Start by figuring out what grip you want. Fuzzyellowballs.com has a clip on grips. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr2f8dmiwpU&feature=related

If the base on your index finger is touching 5, i.e. the bottom of the handle, you have a western grip. From your description, you might be using an eastern grip (3). The link has a guy demonstrate an eastern and semi-western forehand. Watch every part of his body and try to emulate him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca38gzEggco

Sorry, I don't own a video camera. Thanks for the videos, but do you have any tips to increase my forehand's power, regardless of grip?

Blake0
07-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Since you said you hit classical forehands then this is how you can get more power, if you're not doing so already.

First off make sure your weights being transfered forward, into the ball. Next, make sure your shoulders are perpendicular to the net (once you've finished your takeback), and rotate your hips too. Also make sure you bend your knees and your weights loaded up in your backfoot. Then explode your weight forward, causing your knees to straighten up a bit, uncoiling your hips and shoulders, causing your arm to move faster, giving you more racket head speed. Ofcourse you can't do this in every shot, but the more parts of the body you use in every shot, the more powerful it will get. A critical thing is timing your body parts to release one by one in a natural order. All you really need to focus on is bending your knees, shifting your weight forward, make sure your shoulders are perpendicular to the net, and ofcourse swinging.

I highly doubt you can learn to do this all in one day, if you've never done it before..but you should see some improvement in power and spin. Also make sure your contact point is out in front of your body.

user92626
07-24-2009, 01:36 PM
I think you have a semi-western grip. Imo, this is the easiest grip to approach a shot. Think of slapping thru the ball when you hit it.

Tennis stroke is all about timing. You need to figure out when in the ball's flight to initiate turning and takeback, when it peaks to strike.

For power it's just a matter of hitting very hard/fast and rhythmic (help you with the timing) and balanced, and you can learn all that in your backyard with shadow-swing. Better yet, take a bucket of balls, dead or good, to a court and stand at the baseline and drop and hit them. Observe the speed, spin and placement. This practice would also solve your problem of botching slow shots.

teachestennis
07-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Go to tennisteacher.com, Oscar Wegner's famous site, and you will find free tips on how best to hit a forehand. First, pros use smaller grips, second, they hold the racquet very loose, third, you don't hit the ball, you touch it as if it were a push, and you bend the arm at contact as if you were arm wrestling to the other side of your body with a complete finish learning to associate where the ball went with the butt of the racket (at least in beginning stages), that is what is known as the windshield wiper. Hitting up and across the ball with a finish near your left shoulder or in the beginning stages of relearning, up near your collarbone, is key. The finish shapes the shot, but where the ball goes is determined strictly by the angle of your racket and not your feet. Start your new forehand with the V between your thumb and forefinger on the first angled bevel and you'll be fine. I was a 3.5 player at 45 with tennis elbow and I was a watched up tennis coach. At 48, I was hitting with a pro player and now I am known as the man who can get anyone to hit a tennis ball well.

I figured out what Oscar meant by the windshield wiper by thinking of pulling sliding glass door shut. I've coached students to better forehands by email all the time. Just reply if you want more info or where to go.

If you don't believe Oscar was the first coach to teach the open stance windshield wiper used by all pros today (Henman was the last to switch about ten years ago), go to moderntenniscoaches.com and read the Real History of Tennis Instruction to see a timeline of the "great" names in tennis or just click on here: http://www.moderntenniscoaches.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13

ms87
07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
If you can't get enough power, you're either 8 years old or you're arming the stroke.

tennisisawesome
07-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Go to tennisteacher.com, Oscar Wegner's famous site, and you will find free tips on how best to hit a forehand. First, pros use smaller grips, second, they hold the racquet very loose, third, you don't hit the ball, you touch it as if it were a push, and you bend the arm at contact as if you were arm wrestling to the other side of your body with a complete finish learning to associate where the ball went with the butt of the racket (at least in beginning stages), that is what is known as the windshield wiper. Hitting up and across the ball with a finish near your left shoulder or in the beginning stages of relearning, up near your collarbone, is key. The finish shapes the shot, but where the ball goes is determined strictly by the angle of your racket and not your feet. Start your new forehand with the V between your thumb and forefinger on the first angled bevel and you'll be fine. I was a 3.5 player at 45 with tennis elbow and I was a watched up tennis coach. At 48, I was hitting with a pro player and now I am known as the man who can get anyone to hit a tennis ball well.

I figured out what Oscar meant by the windshield wiper by thinking of pulling sliding glass door shut. I've coached students to better forehands by email all the time. Just reply if you want more info or where to go.

If you don't believe Oscar was the first coach to teach the open stance windshield wiper used by all pros today (Henman was the last to switch about ten years ago), go to moderntenniscoaches.com and read the Real History of Tennis Instruction to see a timeline of the "great" names in tennis or just click on here: http://www.moderntenniscoaches.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13

Windshield wiper, huh... I have actually tried this style of forehand, but then I get even more spin but even less power. I already have a small grip, and hold the racket loosely and hit open stance. Does closed stance generate more power?

tennisisawesome
07-24-2009, 05:02 PM
If you can't get enough power, you're either 8 years old or you're arming the stroke.

I guess I'm arming it then, since I'm 15... what do you mean exactly by "arming"?

tennisisawesome
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Since you said you hit classical forehands then this is how you can get more power, if you're not doing so already.

First off make sure your weights being transfered forward, into the ball. Next, make sure your shoulders are perpendicular to the net (once you've finished your takeback), and rotate your hips too. Also make sure you bend your knees and your weights loaded up in your backfoot. Then explode your weight forward, causing your knees to straighten up a bit, uncoiling your hips and shoulders, causing your arm to move faster, giving you more racket head speed. Ofcourse you can't do this in every shot, but the more parts of the body you use in every shot, the more powerful it will get. A critical thing is timing your body parts to release one by one in a natural order. All you really need to focus on is bending your knees, shifting your weight forward, make sure your shoulders are perpendicular to the net, and ofcourse swinging.

I highly doubt you can learn to do this all in one day, if you've never done it before..but you should see some improvement in power and spin. Also make sure your contact point is out in front of your body.

OK, thanks. How exactly do you "load" up the weight in the back foot and explode forward, though?

teachestennis
07-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Are you closing the racket face with your palm down as you approach the ball as if you are going to hit it with your edge. The power of the racket is found in the edge. One check is that the butt of the racket points at the ball shortly before impact when you start exploding from right to left as you pull the hand upward and across allowing the ball to accelerate. Studies done as far back as the late '70s showed open stance was actually stronger than closed stance, though Braden and a few of his cohorts claim their studies show otherwise. The reason open stance is used because the pros have discovered the windshield wiper using angular momentum provides the best combination of power, control, feel, and hiding the shot until the last microsecond. If the closed stance were most effective, today's pros would use it, but it's just an accident as players find the ball in their natural running to the ball and then getting in position to whack it; otherwise you would almost never see a single closed stance forehand. Try not taking your arm back, let the racket go back, and approach the ball very slowly, then right at impact, you explode across the ball.

Blake0
07-24-2009, 08:52 PM
OK, thanks. How exactly do you "load" up the weight in the back foot and explode forward, though?

You put all of your weight on your back foot, and then transfer the weight onto your front foot. Usually done with a neutral or closed stance. Open stance forehands depend on getting power by rotation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSXkL7RMsdg

Here is an ex. of federer transfering his weight forward into the ball.

Blake0
07-24-2009, 08:58 PM
In the long run however, i recommend using neutral to open stance forehands with a WW technique and only using the closed stance mainly as a transition shot and/or if you have too.

chris
07-27-2009, 05:44 PM
make sure your really getting knee bend and get your weight ito the ball make sure you transfer your weight to the front foot after you hit the ball so you wont arm it