PDA

View Full Version : Winning 1st set, losing 2nd set

Birke
07-23-2009, 08:15 PM
I have this problem of not being able to play well in the first set (1st serve percentage real low, too many missed forehands (long/in the net) and all that good stuff).

But the 2nd set comes around and my serves are on target and fast, good ball placement, hitting hard hard angle forehands, and many winners.

What do you think I could do to improve my first set game? :confused:

trachsel
07-23-2009, 08:30 PM
its probably a mixture of nerves, not being totally warmed up yet, and you arent focused until you realize you have to fight to get back in the match

LES
07-23-2009, 09:29 PM
I got same problem. Try to practice hit longer before playing a match

Birke
07-23-2009, 09:46 PM
i'm also thinking of playing a tie-break or two before the match?

fuzz nation
07-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Tie breakers are great for getting your head into that mode of managing points. A good run through of all your shots in a hitting session along with a breaker to get ready for competing is pretty much the ideal scenario. If you can't get much of any hitting in before you go out for your match though, it's can make a big difference to at least jog around or something along those lines just to get your heart rate up and your muscles more warmed in.

If I go out for a quick warm-up at the start of a match with no other preparation, I'll usually play like a spaz for a little bit while I'm running on a little extra nervous energy. After I tear around a little bit and start sweating, I'm more settled in, so it's better when I can work that out before the match.

BU-Tennis
07-24-2009, 11:41 AM
This usually happens because after losing the first set you lose the nerves and realize that you have to hit out to win. Try putting yourself into this mindset early on by imagining its the second set. And next time you lose the first set, try and gauge how you feel.

charliefedererer
07-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Always begin with a "dynamic" warm up before the match with a little jogging to raise your heart rate and get your legs moving. Before even taking the court, execute at least a few backhand, forehand and service motions to work your core, back and arm. In your on court warmup, you can hit the first couple of balls slow, but quickly get up to the hitting speed you expect to use during the match. Hit some volleys, and take enough serves and a couple of overheads, just like you see the pros do when they do their on court warm up. Notice if he has any obvious strengths or weaknesses, and if he seems to move well on the court.
If you can arrive early and there is a hitting partner and an open court, by all means spend some time warming up your match with groundstrokes, volleys and serves. If there is no hitting partner you can still run a quick agility drill consisting of running down the deuce sideline, side skipping cross court just in front of the net, running backwards up the ad sideline, and side skipping across the baseline.
If there is no one there, but there is a backboard, a few minutes hitting groundstrokes, volleys and serves against the backboard will also help get you match ready.

Birke
07-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone! I'll be sure to try to execute some of these techniques