PDA

View Full Version : One hand back hand tip?

luthertn
07-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Does anyone have any tip for 1hander? How to make it go faster and smoother?
and more consistant?

dennis10is
07-23-2009, 09:55 PM
I've been playing tennis for 30 years and the advice that my coach told me way back when is still something I use today.

Whenever I ask him about my stroke mechanics he said "take a tube sock, put one or two tennis ball in it, strecth it until the length of the get up would be the length of a racket. Grab the top end and swing it as you would your stroke. Learn from this he would say. How would you use this tube sock and ball to hit a tennis ball coming at you? Or how would you use this to serve.

It was helpful back then, it is even more helpful now 30 years later. I think that as I get better, I understand it more. Looking back it is scary to think that the sock drill incorporated the kinetic chain, the pulling stroke, roping the ball, the rolling of the forearm, the smart wrist, holding the racket way low, the reverse forehand, the low wrap around follow thru. He did all of it when he was whipping that tube sock around. This 65 yrs old man in the 80's was doing all this.

luthertn
07-24-2009, 01:15 AM
I've been playing tennis for 30 years and the advice that my coach told me way back when is still something I use today.

Whenever I ask him about my stroke mechanics he said "take a tube sock, put one or two tennis ball in it, strecth it until the length of the get up would be the length of a racket. Grab the top end and swing it as you would your stroke. Learn from this he would say. How would you use this tube sock and ball to hit a tennis ball coming at you? Or how would you use this to serve.

It was helpful back then, it is even more helpful now 30 years later. I think that as I get better, I understand it more. Looking back it is scary to think that the sock drill incorporated the kinetic chain, the pulling stroke, roping the ball, the rolling of the forearm, the smart wrist, holding the racket way low, the reverse forehand, the low wrap around follow thru. He did all of it when he was whipping that tube sock around. This 65 yrs old man in the 80's was doing all this.

Very very intresting technique i might see how it help

tata
07-24-2009, 02:36 AM
step 1- use the right grip, mainly eastern
step 2 - have a closed stance (body sideways with shoulders facing the net, so ur feet are basically point at the tram lines)
step 3- when in the closed stance (with knees bent and apart)keep your weight on your left leg/feet (assuming you are right handed)
step 4 - with your racquet already back, transfer the weight on your right foot towards where the ball is coming. This means straightening your right foot (where your weight was on) while starting to swing and rotate your hips forward)

So in a nutshell the one hander is like a sling shot. You pull back and load up (starting with the closed stance, racquet back, weight on your left foot). Then you release in one simultaneous and smooth forward motion that moves your body weight into the shot.

Try practice and get the right contact point. As well as knowing when to roll over your wrist for the follow through. But i do suggest learning this from stand still first. It is awfully hard to learn this stroke while running. Footwork is key because like i said its like a slingshot and u have to get there early to the ball to be ready to fire away. Once you get the hang of this you should be able to work out how to do the flick of the wrist backhand down the lines on the run.

goodluck

kuhdlie
07-24-2009, 04:40 AM

wow, this is what i love about this site, you learn cool stuff everyday. that's such a neat tip to try, thanks dennis10is!!!!!

zebano
07-24-2009, 05:41 AM
When I am missing my 1hbh it is (usually) for this reason:

I haven't locked my wrist out meaning my hand is in-line with my arm, this changes the angle of the racket face and I hit balls into the net.

Other things I watch for are taking full swings and watching the ball.

dennis10is
07-24-2009, 07:31 AM
wow, this is what i love about this site, you learn cool stuff everyday. that's such a neat tip to try, thanks dennis10is!!!!!

You are welcome. It is just a learning tool. The learning and figuring out is up to you.

charliefedererer
07-24-2009, 12:40 PM
One of the difficulties of the 1HBH is that the point of contact is about two feet more forward than on the forehand if you are using a closed stance (your front shoulder is pointed at the net). This is simply because the arm is connected at the shoulder, and when standing sideways, the hitting shoulder on the forehand is the rear shoulder, while on the 1HBH it is the front shoulder. Thus, there is a tendency to hit the 1HBH late, especially when hitting fast incoming balls.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HyvtrBCRTfk/R9nVD7zZ1DI/AAAAAAAAAWw/u_1l9TVuxls/s400/fed.jpg
Because it sounds like your forhand is the better stroke, you probably hit it more often, and you are condidtioned to start your swing too late on the backhand side. (By late it is only about .01 seconds late, too fast to consciously force yourself to hit it earlier.)
Try hitting nothing but backhands for a few days to ingrain the new hitting point further in front.

The other tip is to realize that as you hit the 1HBH your center of gravity has to shift further in front than with your forehand.
Thus, while you can push up equally with both feet for the forheand, you push up mainly with the front foot for the 1HBH, and end up with your back foot up in the air (or at least your back foot heel is in the air), and all your weight ends up supported by your front foot for shots hit waist high or higher. This is because you are shifting your center of gravity more foreward, since your contact point is more forward.
http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/250/draft_lens1435900module2850444photo_how-to-play-backhand.jpg

A bad consequence of hitting the ball late is the tendency to lift the front shoulder (as the back shoulder dips), thus hitting up on the ball off your back foot and sending the ball long. Make sure you hit the ball out in front, and keep the shoulders level during your swing.