PDA

View Full Version : Hitting a western with a 90 sq inch

Larrysümmers
07-24-2009, 10:37 AM
To get more topspin with my mid size racquet Should I try a western. Or would that cause me to frame it too much.

Exile
07-24-2009, 10:40 AM
You could always do what normal western users do and.... you know... use a bigger head....

Devilito
07-24-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Editorial/40_Greatest_Players/2006_04_20_jim_courier.jpg

ztennis002
07-24-2009, 11:06 AM
use a western i just recently switched over to it and it is amazing I cant say enough good things about it. You get so much spin and so much more power the only downside is you break strings left and right

BU-Tennis
07-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Before changing grips I would make sure your technique is sound, as this will definitely affect the type of spin you can produce. Also, try making your strings tighter as this will allow you to produce more spin as well.

3lowdown
07-24-2009, 11:58 AM
http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Editorial/40_Greatest_Players/2006_04_20_jim_courier.jpg

i have a bad feeling about this one shot here.

Ultra2HolyGrail
07-24-2009, 12:04 PM
You didn't buy a 90in because of federer did you?

Larrysümmers
07-24-2009, 12:14 PM

nope fed switched because of me =]
I switched because its a good S&V sick and my backhand is stronger. However I'm greatly suffering because of my forehand. Although since posting this I went to the courts, and was hitting with an eastern grip and bending my knees more and I think that was my problem.

Bottle Rocket
07-24-2009, 12:22 PM
nope fed switched because of me =]
I switched because its a good S&V sick and my backhand is stronger.

What does your backhand being stronger have to do with switching to a Mid?

Larrysümmers
07-24-2009, 12:32 PM
What does your backhand being stronger have to do with switching to a Mid?

I just feel that my bh is better with a mid. Idk why but it has gotten better. Maybe its because I'm forced to go through all the steps. Idk. I don't claim to be a pro lol

ms87
07-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Look at the difference between a 90 and 95, or a 100 for that matter. It is virtually nothing. I use a 90 (rds001) and I'm telling you the only difference is the power level and feel (90 is less powerful and feels much much better). Really though, if you're stressing about the effect of a 90 on your "western" forehand you're probably not a great player anyway and your head size is the least of your worries. :)

Larrysümmers
07-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Look at the difference between a 90 and 95, or a 100 for that matter. It is virtually nothing. I use a 90 (rds001) and I'm telling you the only difference is the power level and feel (90 is less powerful and feels much much better). Really though, if you're stressing about the effect of a 90 on your "western" forehand you're probably not a great player anyway and your head size is the least of your worries. :)

What I meant was should I even attempt a western. I have never done anything besides an eastern and a semi once in a while.

powerslave
07-25-2009, 06:00 AM
Hi similar issues here; I started playing with oversize frames so SW forehand came naturally to me , however when I moved on to 90sqcm frames I find something missing in my forehands (my backhands are decent though) ; I wish to change my grip to Eastern , so that I get to use more of wrists and get wield the heavier sticks with more ease.

MrBen
07-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Well, you could try. I hit with a Western and I use a 93 sq. inch head. Plus, I almost never frame the ball.

NickH87
07-25-2009, 12:03 PM

I always find it funny when the average joe comes into the sports authority and wants to buy a racquet and go straight for the k90. I usually ask if they need help finding a racquet or proper grip size and also tend to ask why they chose a particular racquet. Usually its because federer uses it and I just laugh to myself. I then go on to show me their stroke and at what level do they think they are. Most have no clue what NTRP is so I ask beginner, intermediate, andvanced, how many years they have been playing ect...

Most are just picking up a racquet for the first time or are 1 and 2 year players. Anything above that they people know what works for them and know what they are looking for. I do try to steer them away from the k90 because I know they are going to be frustrated, but sometimes people are stubborn so they spend the $180.

jasoncho92
07-26-2009, 01:05 AM
From the video i saw of you, you werent swinging fast enough for a 90 inch to hurt your performance so i wouldnt go off on that.

For extreme grips coupled with large amounts of topspin, its best to go mid plus since the upward motion makes it much more likely to mis-hit.

ms87
07-26-2009, 06:22 PM
From the video i saw of you, you werent swinging fast enough for a 90 inch to hurt your performance so i wouldnt go off on that.

I wasn't aware that a video of me hitting even exists, let alone has been posted here.

pvaudio
07-26-2009, 07:19 PM
No. Proper technique will fix that. I used to use a western grip, but now use a SQ with my AG100s and I have plenty of spin. If the ball goes out, it's definitely not due to there not being enough action on the ball. Perhaps you should stop using "the cheapest string I can find"? There is a reason strings cost money, they're like tires on your car: the only part that actually touches what your using, in this case being the ball or the road.

Power Player
07-27-2009, 05:19 AM
There is not a huge difference between the 90 and the 100, but the 100 is usually wider. This does make a difference for me. But 90's sure feel great to hit with. And you can definitley do it with a western grip, it will just be a bit tougher to hit clean shots if you are playing a higher leveled player.