PDA

View Full Version : Who uses the racquet they advertise?

johnmcc516
03-30-2005, 09:03 AM
I know many pros just get paint jobs on their racquets they love because they don't want to change. My question is which pros actually use the racquet that the companies advertise them using?

Kirko
03-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Roddick is one.

dAgEnIuS
03-30-2005, 09:55 AM
i dont believe that many pros are using paintjobs...
how do we know for sure that they are??

jjw123
03-30-2005, 10:29 AM
you will never "know for sure" but it is true, the toughest thing for a player is to change frames. It's easier to get a batch of the old ones and paint them in the new colors.
Also...
Some of the rackets they advertise are not playable for them. The specs do not add up. Even the frames they like are custommade anyway. Weight, balance, stiffness, grips etc. they have nothing in common with the rackets in the store.

jjw

Venetian
03-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Read the Wilson press release about their "Pro Room" where they customize racquets. We DO know for sure. They told us.

Fee
03-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Roddick, Moya, and Clijsters all use Babolat Pure Drive racquets, altered to their personal preferences. Coria and Jordan Kerr are using new Prince O3 models. That's about all I can say for sure. I can tell you with near certainty that any male player that's been on the tour for more than 3 years, playing with a Wilson stencil, is NOT using an nCode anything. I've had two of their players tell me that no one is using that model. It doesn't matter anyway, there are people on this board who just plain refuse to believe that paintjobs are a reality.

Personally, I find the whole paintjob thing an interesting subject. I like to hear what players may really be using and the odd things they do to their racquets just out of curiosity, but none of the discussions in this particular forum will influence my racquet purchasing choices. If I am going to invest $200 in something, you can bet I will do my own research and demo as long as possible. I will buy what works for me, not what works for someone who is paid to play with a particular brand. To do any less would be clueless.

Honestlybad
03-30-2005, 03:24 PM
For a couple of years I have been working as a practice partner for a WTA tournament in europe and spoke on the subcect with a couple of the girls. Nearly all of the acomplished players have paintjobs.

fedex27
03-30-2005, 04:10 PM
gonzalez uses the storm also, pretty much lower ranked players and bab guys

aj_m2009
03-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Tell me something, does it not say I. Prestige on Safin's website? Here is the page:http://www.maratsafin.com/content.php?did=6&aid=9093c7d0ae6a8086026f97c053d57bde

Noelle
03-30-2005, 06:40 PM
You seriously do not believe that Safin doesn't use a paintjob? He gets paid to advertise that he uses the LM Prestige, but as people here have noticed, the LM bumps on his racquet are totally just painted on.

aj_m2009
03-30-2005, 06:44 PM
What??????

jura
03-30-2005, 09:02 PM
I know many pros just get paint jobs on their racquets they love because they don't want to change. My question is which pros actually use the racquet that the companies advertise them using?
A lot of Babolat players don't use paint jobs. But for example Moya and Clijsters use old versons of Pure Drive without Woofer system, same for Lopez.
Special cases I think are Gonzales or Massu. Do they play their old Pure Control or Pure Storm? What's the difference? It's the same mold. And stiffness, weight and balance are customized anyway. So you can say, they play the Pure Storm, but they didn't changed their racquet :-)
All Tecnifibre players don't use paint jobs, because it's their philosophy not to do this. (TF players are Chela, Verdasco, Tipsarevic, Moody and some more)
Gasquet and Youzhny really use the LM Instinct. And as far as I know Rainer Schuettler really plays with the Radical Flexpoint.
Coria was already posted. And Stepanek plays with the new Voelkl Tour 10 V-Engine Mid. And most of the Fischer players might use regular sticks. But only because Fischer only refreshes the paints and have the same racquets since years, just added by some FT models.
So there are some pros using "normal" stuff.

federer_nadal
03-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Dont forget Nadal. I have noticed pretty much all wilson players are said to have used paintjobs. Says alot for the new nCode series.

johnmcc516
03-31-2005, 04:25 AM
Everytime I watch Fed play, I keep thinking there is no way thats a paintjob. Is he really using the ncode?

35ft6
03-31-2005, 04:33 AM
Dont forget Nadal. I have noticed pretty much all wilson players are said to have used paintjobs. Says alot for the new nCode series. Henin's racket looks especially suspicious. The head looks huge for an Ncode.

Roforot
03-31-2005, 07:26 AM
All Tecnifibre players don't use paint jobs, because it's their philosophy not to do this. (TF players are Chela, Verdasco, Tipsarevic, Moody and some more)

So there are some pros using "normal" stuff.

Curious, how do you know this?

arodnadal
03-31-2005, 07:29 AM
their is no way fed is using an ncode

johnmcc516
03-31-2005, 08:48 AM
their is no way fed is using an ncode

What makes you say this? Is his racket the prostaff?

erik-the-red
03-31-2005, 08:52 AM
Federer uses a custom - made Prostaff Classic 6.0.

The headsize is closer to 90 square inches than either 85 or 95.

barry
03-31-2005, 08:58 AM
I thought Federer was switching to the Ncode Surge, said he wanted a little more pop on the ball. Tired of working so hard and wanted to raise the bar!

alan-n
03-31-2005, 09:02 AM
I thought Federer was switching to the Ncode Surge, said he wanted a little more pop on the ball. Tired of working so hard and wanted to raise the bar!

In that case, just lower the tension.

Fee
03-31-2005, 09:17 AM
Feel free to scroll down the list of threads in this forum for a page or two. There are countless threads on paintjobs and on Federer's racquet. Yes, Marat is using a paintjob and yes, his official site is playing along.

deflori
03-31-2005, 10:07 AM
Garcia Lopez and Julian Knowle use standard LM Prestiges,more i dont now from the prestige players..

Myskina,Kuznetsova,Gasquet,Youzhny use the Head Instinct...

aj_m2009
03-31-2005, 03:11 PM
...yes, his official site is playing along.

Well doesn't it say he is using the I. Prestige though, or is it just me?

Noelle
03-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Actually, his website says it's the LiquidMetal Prestige... :)

But we all know it isn't.

zorg
03-31-2005, 05:21 PM
Everytime I watch Fed play, I keep thinking there is no way thats a paintjob. Is he really using the ncode? Well, there is a simple way I tell it is a painhob. The neck is really long on his stick, it seems like 4 or 5 cm until the beam "splits" and forms the V shape. Here is how long the head looks-http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/viewlarge.html?PCODE=60 Yet on the nCode, the neck is short, and starts going outward right after the grip ends, like so- http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/viewlarge.html?PCODE=WN61T Here is his nCode, compare it with the real and you will see I am right.

jura
03-31-2005, 07:07 PM
Curious, how do you know this?
Special relations to the company :-)

aj_m2009
03-31-2005, 08:05 PM
Actually, his website says it's the LiquidMetal Prestige... :)

But we all know it isn't.

Under racket info.(but you already knew that:))

35ft6
04-01-2005, 05:38 AM
I've seen pictures of Courier playing with the ncode. What do you think of this? Has he switched for real because he's not playing for high stakes anymore? Might he prefer this racket to his old Pro Staff? It can't be a paintjob, could it? Wilson would have to pay him to do that wouldn't they?

loubapache
04-01-2005, 05:49 AM
This paint job thing is really sick.

Two week ago in Indian Wells, Gaudio was using the HPS 6.1 95 (there was a thread about that).

Now this week in Miami, he used Ncode 6.1 95. LOL, changing racquets in a week.

christo
04-03-2005, 08:42 PM
I can assure everyone I'm not using a paintjob.

jura
04-04-2005, 02:11 AM
I've seen pictures of Courier playing with the ncode. What do you think of this? Has he switched for real because he's not playing for high stakes anymore? Might he prefer this racket to his old Pro Staff? It can't be a paintjob, could it? Wilson would have to pay him to do that wouldn't they?
It's a paint job of the old ro Staf 6.0. Count the cross strings: there are only 18, not 19 as at the newer 90 sq in versions.

muklucke
04-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Reading all of the posts about Henin i started to look at all of her pics. I think shes using the hyper hammer 5.3 painted throughout the years. Just look at the cross section, cant be 22mm. dual taper beam.

Prestige_Spin
04-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Roddick but he does lots of things to it so its not the same raquet