PDA

View Full Version : Coaching tips

dig331
07-24-2009, 04:14 PM
I am about to coach a couple of tennis camps, and unsure of games to play with them! As I don't want to repeat the few games I know, here's the games I know and if you could add to my list I'd be very greatful!

Snowball/Tidy your bedroom - 2 teams on either side of the court, throwing balls over the net, whichever team has the least balls at the end wins,

Lines - Shout a line and they run to it

Prison - Que and hit a ball one by 1, if they hit it over they go to the end of the que, if they miss the become a catcher.

Treasure - If you hit the ball over you get a point

Any more I'd be very greatful!

Tyrus
07-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Don't know how good your kids are, but there are always the classics

Around the world - Line the kids up on 2 sides of the court, they hit a ball then run to the other side. 3 outs and they are out of the game. when it comes to final 2 they hit, drop the racket, spin around (in our camps we add a kick to honor Michael Jackson).

Variation is Team around the world, where instead of running around the court, they hit and move to the end of their line, when they hit a ball out, they have to set their racket down and use another kids racket. gets real interesting when they run down to 3 or less rackets.

Champs and Challengers/ King or Queen of the court - Singles or doubles - usually feed a ball to the challenger(s), or let the challengers serve, but 2 points lets them be king.

Cross court, or down the line singles, serve or drop feed points to 11. Alleys are in.

Defender is the all time favorite in our camps. uses 2 courts and 2 teams. Teams send a representative to the other court to defend their team. Feed to the group side and keep their score, the team earns a point when they are the first to get 7 points against the "defender", run the game until everybody sends a defender over, or until the group gets tired/run out of balls, you get the point.

If the kids are less talented, we do a fun little game called "Junk Ball" - it's a mini tennis/reflex volley game. 2 kids stand at the net, place the ball on top and tap the net and drop the ball to start, the other kid lets the ball bounce and starts the point, usually the service box is the boundaries and the game is usually to 11.

There is also tennis 4 square, this works with the net or you can draw a line in no mans land.

Also, when the kids warm up, challenge them to get a set numbers of balls in play. Works wonders on control and makes warm up more fun.

A few suggestions, but hope it helps, if any of this makes no sense, ask and i'll try to elaborate some more. Take care.

ra7686
07-24-2009, 06:09 PM
When I was younger, we used to play this game (not sure on skill level, as Tyrus said) that was sort of like king of the court, but formatted for if you have a large amount of kids/people in the camp. Make your own name for it, be creative!

You use either two or three courts, depending on the amount of people. Three courts is more fun. Each court has a "champ," and the side that the champ is on alternates each court for ease. The "challengers," 5 or so people for each court, have to win 3 points total to take their court's champ's spot. You can have the challengers serve, or just have them feed the ball up the middle to start the point. When someone takes the champ's spot (by accumulating 3 points) the champ on the next lower court moves up to be a challenger on that first court, swapping places with the challenger who is last in line on that same first court.

Makes for really excited kids - relieved when a point ends and they're no longer last in line.

Challengers retain their amount of points, even when a person from a higher court moves down to be the new champ on that court, to keep the game moving.

The game ends after a pre-set time, with the winner being either
a) the person who is currently the champ on court #1, or
b) the person who has been the champ on court #1 for the most minutes.

I personally like the first one better. It means no one can just sit back and wait for the game to end.

Confusing at first, but can be a ton of fun as soon as everyone understands, especially when the champ on court 1 gets blindsided and ends up on the bottom court.

I believe we called it something to the effect of World Champion. 1st Court Champ = World Champion, 2nd Court Champ = National Champion, etc.

We had a blast playing this game; I'd encourage you to at least try it out if the players' skill levels allow it.

SethIMcClaine
07-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Variation is Team around the world, where instead of running around the court, they hit and move to the end of their line, when they hit a ball out, they have to set their racket down and use another kids racket. gets real interesting when they run down to 3 or less rackets.

Ha sounds fun as an adult

ra7686
07-24-2009, 07:50 PM

Yeah, that game is still awesome. Better when you play full court points with only one racquet for each team haha. Or, better yet, have multiple teams of two, where each team gets one racquet, and has to alternate shots. Have a tourney! haha :)

Tyrus
07-25-2009, 01:01 AM

Real talk. I jumped in on a game once, and it really puts your shots to the test. It's one of the favorites with the kids in my camp.

dig331
07-25-2009, 11:23 AM
thanks for the tips I'll defo try and remember them for next week!

Bungalo Bill
07-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Don't know how good your kids are, but there are always the classics

Around the world - Line the kids up on 2 sides of the court, they hit a ball then run to the other side. 3 outs and they are out of the game. when it comes to final 2 they hit, drop the racket, spin around (in our camps we add a kick to honor Michael Jackson).

Champs and Challengers/ King or Queen of the court - Singles or doubles - usually feed a ball to the challenger(s), or let the challengers serve, but 2 points lets them be king.

Cross court, or down the line singles, serve or drop feed points to 11. Alleys are in.

Defender is the all time favorite in our camps. uses 2 courts and 2 teams. Teams send a representative to the other court to defend their team. Feed to the group side and keep their score, the team earns a point when they are the first to get 7 points against the "defender", run the game until everybody sends a defender over, or until the group gets tired/run out of balls, you get the point.

If the kids are less talented, we do a fun little game called "Junk Ball" - it's a mini tennis/reflex volley game. 2 kids stand at the net, place the ball on top and tap the net and drop the ball to start, the other kid lets the ball bounce and starts the point, usually the service box is the boundaries and the game is usually to 11.

There is also tennis 4 square, this works with the net or you can draw a line in no mans land.

Also, when the kids warm up, challenge them to get a set numbers of balls in play. Works wonders on control and makes warm up more fun.

A few suggestions, but hope it helps, if any of this makes no sense, ask and i'll try to elaborate some more. Take care.

King/Queen of the court is a favorite amongst kids. I get more requests to do that game than any other.

The other one I like to do is Save the Ball. Students are allowed to retrieve the ball while it is bouncing anywhere (off the fence, etc...) so long as the first bounce was in. They are then allowed to bounce the ball on the strings, or on the ground like a basketball and can pass to their partner(s) so long as they continue to bounce the ball and then they can send it over to the other side. When the ball stops bouncing and rolls, point is over and awarded to the side that didnt let the ball stop or roll.

10s talk
07-26-2009, 07:33 PM
I am about to coach a couple of tennis camps, and unsure of games to play with them! As I don't want to repeat the few games I know, here's the games I know and if you could add to my list I'd be very greatful!

Snowball/Tidy your bedroom - 2 teams on either side of the court, throwing balls over the net, whichever team has the least balls at the end wins,

Lines - Shout a line and they run to it

Prison - Que and hit a ball one by 1, if they hit it over they go to the end of the que, if they miss the become a catcher.

Treasure - If you hit the ball over you get a point

Any more I'd be very greatful!

I have a few very good games that I have used in camps, send me an email if you are interested........ they are to long to explain here

bigfoot910
07-27-2009, 07:05 AM
One that my kids always loved was called bobsled...
Start 2 teams on opposite sides of the net at the baseline, you stand at the net and feed a ball to 1 player to start a point. The loser of the point has to go sit on the center service line close to the net.
The first team to have all their players in the "bobsled" on the center line is the loser.

The fun thing is that if a person on the bobsled line volleys a ball back into play while SEATED can get up and rejoin their team at the baseline.
However, if the seated person misses the ball then the person playing the point just lost and has to take a seat.

Sounds confusing, but it is really easy and the kids get really into it. I did this with kids as young as 9-10, and it was definitely great with my high school team.

Hope you have fun with the camp! They are a blast!