PDA

View Full Version : proper form on the slice serve out wide

persistent
07-25-2009, 06:37 AM
I would like some opinions on a (RH) slice serve out wide into the deuce ct. From what I have read, your racquet is coming across the ball in the direction of the ad net post and contacting the side of the ball at about 3 on the clock face. Your racquet should be perfectly verticle at contact. When I try this plan I don't get any curve out to the alley, however when I do the same plan and hit up on a slight incline the ball starts to curve out somewhat but not enough. Any Ideas

BU-Tennis
07-25-2009, 07:08 PM
You don't hit from 9 to 3 but from more like 8 to 2 on the ball. Also, it sounds like you're not brushing the ball enough, just coming into the ball. And remember, you should be looking at the ball at contact so you won't really be able to see the spin on the serve from your point of view as well. Try getting just pure spin on the ball. Aim out wide and just try to cut the side of the ball with the edge of the racquet, and see if you can put spin on that way. then slowly progress to hitting into the ball more until you get a good mix of pace and spin.

persistent
07-26-2009, 09:57 AM
You don't hit from 9 to 3 but from more like 8 to 2 on the ball. Also, it sounds like you're not brushing the ball enough, just coming into the ball. And remember, you should be looking at the ball at contact so you won't really be able to see the spin on the serve from your point of view as well. Try getting just pure spin on the ball. Aim out wide and just try to cut the side of the ball with the edge of the racquet, and see if you can put spin on that way. then slowly progress to hitting into the ball more until you get a good mix of pace and spin.

Thanks for the help I will give it a try:)