PDA

View Full Version : Piece of Crap Second Serve!

willman
02-22-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm a junior player who is absolutely obsessed with playing tennis. I take private lessons and my teacher has developed my first serve to be fast and flat. For my second he wanted more spin but I couldn't do that with my continental so he switched me more to an eastern. It seemed to work well but now I serve long on almost every second serve. Any tips on perhaps learning a kick/topspin serve or ways to hit my slice with more pace (my partners eat it up) and to keep it going in. Thanks!

@wright
02-22-2004, 06:04 PM
A couple basic tips are make sure you toss that ball up high and over your head-sometimes even behind your head, for spin to keep it in the box. Also, make sure you get nice knee bend, that will also help with spin. Make sure you swing with a relaxed arm, punching it will surely hurt your service %. Just stay relaxed and go for it without worrying too much about hitting long.

polakosaur
02-22-2004, 06:11 PM
hit up on the ball the basic rule that always works

Bungalo Bill
02-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Willman,

The same racquet head speed your using for your flat serve should be applied to your spin serves. It happens at a different angle to the ball.

The best way to learn to trust the fast swing for spin serves is throough practice. You take a bucket of balls and without using your legs just spin the balls in the service box. Try to really loop the ball in there with spin. Start out hitting your serves slower to get the feel of what your trying to do.

But spin, spin, spin those balls in. As you get comfortable add some pace. If your havging trouble again, go back and just spin the balls in. As Polakosaur said, you need to get the feeling of hitting or spinning up the ball.