PDA

View Full Version : Advice on technique (video inside)

TooMuchFun13
07-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi, I've been giving my friend some tips on how to improve his tennis. Yesterday I filmed him hitting so he could see what he looks like? Anyone have any advice on how he can improve his strokes/footwork? I apologize for the shaky camera. I don't have a tripod so I tried to keep it as still as possible for most of the filming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSrRmwfJpGA

BU-Tennis
07-25-2009, 10:43 AM
The strokes look pretty good, but he is definitely lacking in footwork. Unless he is forced to move in, he usually hits off of the back foot on both sides and doesn't really use body movement into the shot.

ra7686
07-25-2009, 10:55 AM
I agree, the srokes are not bad, it just looks like it's all arm. He should move his feet to get into better position and to get his body weight moving forward into each shot. Have him plant his back foot, then step forward into his shot.

Backhand looks better than the forehand to me. It looks a lot smoother and more natural. On the forehand, I think it would help him if he focussed more on getting through the ball. I've seen people accomplish this by them having the thinking that there are 3 or 4 (imaginary) balls in a line, and that they must hit through the first ball, and keep their swing moving forward so as to hit the next three.

Bungalo Bill
07-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi, I've been giving my friend some tips on how to improve his tennis. Yesterday I filmed him hitting so he could see what he looks like? Anyone have any advice on how he can improve his strokes/footwork? I apologize for the shaky camera. I don't have a tripod so I tried to keep it as still as possible for most of the filming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSrRmwfJpGA

Yes, I can give you one main thing to help him improve, run his butt off and get him to move his feet. It looked like he had 50lb. shoes on.

Tell him the following:

1. Quit looking like he doesn't want to be out there. Knock off the clumpy elephant walk to get to balls. Run, work the feet, move the feet, anticipate where the ball is going and get there so he isn't lunging for goodness sakes.

2. Stay on his toes intead of walking on his heels. Get in an athletic stance and stay there until his legs start shaking and tears start flowing from his eyes.

3. Bend at the knees, dont bend at the waist and lunge.

4. Quit camping out at the baseline, move in, move back, move to the left. move to the right, do something, but MOOOOVE! Get to the ball and take it in the strike zone.

5. Rotate the shoulders more (front shoulder under chin)

6. Use the non-dominant arm in the forehand. Stretch it out and then fold it back into the body on the forward swing. Helps him not rotate aaway from the ball and adds effortless power.

That was some of the most clumpiest feet I have seen here in a long time.

masterxfob
07-25-2009, 02:12 PM
wow, that's some of the laziest footwork i've seen in a while. he's not overly fat, doesn't look like he has knee problems, it just looks like he's flat out lazy. tennis = footwork.

StuckInMalibu
07-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Looks like the guy in the blue shorts hits with a bent arm on shots waist-high and with a straight arm on low balls. I don't if this is proper, since I hit a straight-arm forehand.

mzshot
07-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Hes way too stiff! He should try bending with the knees when he is preparing for contact, and not with the waist. His backhand actually is a lot more solid than his forehand. His forehand needs a better shoulder rotation.

Team_Volkl
07-25-2009, 05:23 PM
1) Improve footwork.

2) Improve stamina and endurance. I somehow think his lack of footwork has more to do with the fact he's struggling to keep up versus being lazy.

3) Improve shot preparation. His racquet should already be cocked back and ready to go before the ball gets to him.

4) At about 1:28 he caught the tennis ball with his hand. That's a great way to get a sprained finger--trust me on that.

5) Set up your shots better. If you need to move up, back, or jump to get the ball in your sweet spot do it. Attack!

6) Use your full body for swings instead of mainly just your arm. Rotate your body into the shot. Again, attack with everything you've got!

7) I mean this with no disrespect, but he's not a huge guy, but for some reason, he appears to be very clumsy and uncoordinated.

8) All this advice goes to the two other guys in the video as well.

You guys could become good, real good, but I'd seriously suggest some tennis lessons if they're serious about improving. If you guys just want to play casually, then whatever.

So the cool thing is, it's not like he can't get better. He could become an animal, but it just has to be something he really wants.

P.S.

I think the best way to achieve these things would be to do some drills focusing on each of these areas. I can't stand drills myself, but they played a vital part in my development at one point in time.

TooMuchFun13
07-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys, you're saying alot of things I picked up on already. Do you guys have anything to help with his forehand? Should it be reworked?

TooMuchFun13
07-25-2009, 06:34 PM
5) Set up your shots better. If you need to move up, back, or jump to get the ball in your sweet spot do it. Attack!

I'm not really a large supporter of jumping being part of getting to the ball. I find if you are trying to get to the ball and a hiccup or skip happens in your running you end up in a bad position.

However I do get what you're saying about needing to be more active and getting into position early. Thank you!

3lowdown
07-25-2009, 07:29 PM
why is everyone getting all technical, NO ONE SHOULD SAY ANYTHING TECHNICAL BEFORE HE ACTUALLY STARTS TO MOVE HIS FEET.

you cant polish a turd.

ra7686
07-25-2009, 07:41 PM
3lowdown put it way too harsh, but it's true. It's impossible to fix someone's technique if they aren't getting to the ball. You have to be there properly before you can hit it properly.

mzshot
07-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Also, you need to prepare EARLY. You prepare too late, thus, you have no time to swing, so you rush everything. You're swinging WAY to fast for your level, making your balls inconsistent. Slow down, hit at medium pace. Until you can develop some solid footwork and forehand, slow down that forehand.

Bungalo Bill
07-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys, you're saying alot of things I picked up on already. Do you guys have anything to help with his forehand? Should it be reworked?

I gave you tips for the forehand. It doesn't need a rework, he needs to rotate more and he needs to use the non-dominant arm better. I have provided a lot of examples on the non-dominant arm, you should research it.

However, his footwork and movement is a big obstacle for his strokes. He needs to work at improving that area a lot.

Bungalo Bill
07-25-2009, 08:39 PM
why is everyone getting all technical, NO ONE SHOULD SAY ANYTHING TECHNICAL BEFORE HE ACTUALLY STARTS TO MOVE HIS FEET.

you cant polish a turd.

Not so true.

Some basic things can be fixed with his form. Movement is another area this player needs to work on as I indicated above. However, learning how to rotate the shoulders enough does not require someone to learn movement first or be able to ove like a gazzele before they learn to rotate the shoulders.

Further, the non-dominant arm is not working properly and this is another thing that can be worked on without great movement.

I understand what you mean about his movement and him reducing his ability to hit with good techique because his position to the ball will force him to hit akwardly or lunge, etc...

However, for training he should still work on his technique while he improves his movement.

TooMuchFun13
07-25-2009, 11:51 PM

you cant polish a turd.

Whoa, please, if you can't be nice about something why even say it at all? I know you might an amazing player but does that mean you have to say things like that? A simple "He should fix his movement before focusing on technique. Movement is more important" would have sufficed. I thought this was the "tennis tips/instruction" section, not the "better players scorn weaker players" section.

Take BungaloBill for example, he could have easily worded his advice in a negative fashion but did not. However, I understand what you are trying to say and I'm grateful for the advice.

Thanks BB for all the advice. I totally understand the respect people have for you in the forum. Your tips are always thorough and have a positive tone. :)

3lowdown
07-26-2009, 02:53 PM
im just saying things should probably be a lot A LOT more simpler for him, you guys want him to focus on his shoulder turn and wrist yade dade, when he doesnt show any signs of knowing how to split step, aggressive first step to the ball, stance for that ball, and recovery step.

if this kid actually reads this he will look past the non fun stuff like footwork and prep. but will look at the shoulder turn comments. Its frustrating cuz i know when everyone watched that video, i can gurantee i know exactly what everyone thought for the first 10 secs.

Bungalo Bill
07-27-2009, 09:09 AM
im just saying things should probably be a lot A LOT more simpler for him, you guys want him to focus on his shoulder turn and wrist yade dade, when he doesnt show any signs of knowing how to split step, aggressive first step to the ball, stance for that ball, and recovery step.

So, getting him to rotate the front shoulder under his chin is hard? lol

Geeez, man, if that is hard, then he probably should quit playing tennis.

Is asking him to extend his non-dominant arm more and folding it back into his body hard or as you put it "yada yada yada"? Again, perhaps he should quit if that is real hard.

if this kid actually reads this he will look past the non fun stuff like footwork and prep. but will look at the shoulder turn comments. Its frustrating cuz i know when everyone watched that video, i can gurantee i know exactly what everyone thought for the first 10 secs.

You can guarantee it? Well it was pretty obvious what he wasn't doing.

So, two things for the upper body and the rest improving his leg speed and footwork is a lot? Wow, poor fellow. Geeez, perhaps we were a bit too hard on the poor chap.

Let's not overload him.

Well, here is what I thought for the last ten seconds reading your nonsense. I think you are a simplton that hasn't got a clue on how to coach or what to say. You piggy-backed on other people comments and then chimed in with your nonsense on what a player can and can't do. How is that? Too much? Too little? Just right?

Bungalo Bill
07-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks BB for all the advice. I totally understand the respect people have for you in the forum. Your tips are always thorough and have a positive tone. :)

Thanks for the compliment. However, I do have my little enemies. :twisted:

As long as the advice makes sense, isn't "pie-in-the-sky" stuff like some of the advice here, you will be fine.

There are good coaches on these boards and then there are those that are simply on Mars.

JoshDragon
07-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Your ground strokes are good but you really need to improve your footwork. It's holding you back.

No, I think that's fine. Just be sure to accelerate through the ball and practice taking it early. Also, make sure you get good shoulder rotation.